User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: xflow webber carb backfire

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

xflow webber carb backfire

Hi everyone, I am after some help please. My car was running very well but after 4 years of sitting around it seems to be running not so well.

The engine is a 1300 xflow with a webber 32/36 carby jetted and tuned profesionally. When I start the car it fires up first time snd runs smoothly. I have completed the lean idle adjustment and it runs smooth untill I accelerate. Which is when it loses power, splutters and backfires from the drivers side barrel. If I slowly accelerate to high rpm it runs smooth and sounds great. I only have a problem with sudden acceleration. I cant even get enough power to drive in first gear.

I have cleaned carby, checked jets for blockages and played sround with timing to no avail. Im not really sure where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

Re: xflow webber carb backfire

when you work the throttle does the excel pump squirt fuel down the primary carb barrel?

Pole Position Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Administrator

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    the excel pump
    accel as in accelerating pump !

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

I can only see fuel squirt in when ai jad the top of the carby to check the jets. I cant see down when the top is back on.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Im going to be spending some time trying to sort this issue out over the next week. My plan of attack is to clean the carby in place and re-check the ignition timing with my new timing light. So I have a quick question about the timing if anyone can offer some advice. Most threads say to rev the engine to 3000rpm, I dont have a tacho, can I do this by ear? I am waiting for my haynes manual to arrive in the post, which im hoping has a pretty detailed step by step on timing, but in the meantime could someone brush me up on the process?
    thanks for the help so far!

Dave

Thanks

Sounds like an accelerator pump issue with the carb........as for the ignition, by 3000rpm max mechanical advance is achieved in the dizzy, and that is what you would see with the timing light......anything past 3000rpm should not make a difference....
    Regards,
    Kevin

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

So I think Ì fixed it, by full carb clean, timing done and lean idle adjustment, also checked all my vacumn lines. one question with the timing, I rev up high and the notch lines up with 10 degrees and at Idle its probably an inch clockwise from the 6 degree mark. is that normal? thanks again everyone. your a huge help!

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Doesn't sound right - shouldn't be anywhere near 10 deg with revs - Timing should be set at idle...... you rev it only to see if it advances properly. Correct timing for the engine type will usually be anything between 5 - 10 deg @ idle. Suggest getting a manual - Haynes may be poor sub for workshop but they do simplify things for DIY!

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katana View Post
    Doesn't sound right - shouldn't be anywhere near 10 deg with revs - Timing should be set at idle...... you rev it only to see if it advances properly. Correct timing for the engine type will usually be anything between 5 - 10 deg @ idle. Suggest getting a manual - Haynes may be poor sub for workshop but they do simplify things for DIY!
    So If I set the timing somewhere between 5 and 10 at idol, when I excell to 3000 what should I expect to see?

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

These threads are worth reading....... http://www.turbosport.co.uk/showthread.php?t=156008 & http://www.turbosport.co.uk/showthread.php?t=89310
    I'll look up the correct timing figures later when I find a manual.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katana View Post
    These threads are worth reading....... http://www.turbosport.co.uk/showthread.php?t=156008 & http://www.turbosport.co.uk/showthread.php?t=89310
    I'll look up the correct timing figures later when I find a manual.
    Ford Workshop Manual for Mk2 1300 Xflow is 6 deg BTDC Static, 8-10 deg. mech advance and 6-9 deg Vac advance. So running at idle you should see about 10 deg BTDC and between 20 - 25 deg BTDC above 2000 rpm.

- and yes I know there are 3No versions of the 1300 xflow engine - above is a good average!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to katana For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread