User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Confused with this new MOT exemption stuff

Bodger

Thanks

Confused with this new MOT exemption stuff

I've been following this for a while. I own a 1968 Ford Anglia that has been mildly modified. Zetec engine, 5 speed, Milton kit and plate LSD.
    I fully intend to keep on MOTing it though. Apart from a good check I think it's nice to keep the timeline going online where anyone can view your MOT history.

Like most on here my car is already classed as a VHI on the logbook and so I don't pay when retaxing it online. I see we need to declare it as a VHI *IF* we want to be MOT exempt as well. So if I don't tick that box and simply keep MOTing am I basically saying that it's not a VHI? Because to me that's how it feels. Or should I tick the box anyway and still MOT it?

Assuming that box is ticked, if the DVLA ask someone to prove their car is a VHI and they're ultimately not satisfied due to modifications what then? Logic says (to me at least) that you lose all VHI rights and the logbook would need to go back to PLG. Or are tax VHI and MOT VHI two separate entities?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DBrown67 For This Useful Post:

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: Confused with this new MOT exemption stuff

I believe they are to be treated as two separate entities just linked by age - they are already two totally separate dept.s in government - DVLA and HMRC. Whilst your car may qualify for VHI status based on age, with the mods done it doesn't (60's vintage Zetec - nah!) and so should (rightly) be MOT'd - after all its a 60's designed and built car delivered with 50hp and drum brakes that now has 150+ hp and 120mph potential. Still not a peep out of the insurance industry about this.........until there is an accident!

Bodger

Thanks

If they are two separate entities then it makes things a bit clearer. All mods are obviously declared to insurance. I even got the engine capacity updated on the V5 as I was worried insurance might not like that in case of a claim. I'll just keep MOTing it and not bother trying to declare it as MOT free. Should keep the insurance bods a bit happier. But if, and I mean IF I ever get any hassle querying the mods or anything about a possible Q plate in the future then the whole thing will go back to standard. That's extreme worse case scenario of course. But I wouldn't put it past the DVLA. I'd rather lose the performance and handling than lose the identity and half it's value.
    Last edited by DBrown67; 04-04-2018 at 11:04.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Dave your van is currently registered as Historic Vehicle which is a tax class. VHI is a separate thing and is related to MoTs, not road tax. The only correlation is that at tax renewal time you will have to declare whether you think your van is a Vehicle of Historic Interest ie No moT (if you wish) or substantially modified ie you need MoT. Your tax class WILL not change. Substantially modified is nothing to do with radically modified cars or Q plates either.

Insurance companies have already released statements on this. They cannot overule a law of the land its really is that simple. What they re iterate and have always said in the small print, you are responsible for ensuring your vehicle is roadworthy at all times that means not just on MoT day if you currently need one. As far as i'm aware there has been no issue with the thousands of pre 60 cars and the thousands of old commercials that dont have Mot's either.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
    Insurance companies have already released statements on this. They cannot overrule a law of the land its really is that simple. What they re iterate and have always said in the small print, you are responsible for ensuring your vehicle is roadworthy at all times that means not just on MoT day if you currently need one. As far as i'm aware there has been no issue with the thousands of pre 60 cars and the thousands of old commercials that don't have Mot's either.
    Whilst I don't disagree with the above statements - I've had past history with insurance claims assessors stating vehicle was not 'up to scratch' whilst being entirely road legal! Its HOW you can prove that someone independently has assessed the vehicle to be safe and road worthy is the issue - currently in law your ticket is valid for a year although we know only good for a day. An inspection by anyone not qualified to issue an opinion, just adds 'bullets to the gun' that the insurance will shot you with!
    It may be an exemption that pre 1960 vehicles don't need a ticket, but i'm fairly sure that a goodly proportion of their owners do the yearly 'run to the MOT man' as the only use they get!

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

As stated mot only applies to the time it is done
    It would make sense to have a classic car Mot as of next month mot are going up another notch making it harder for a classic to pass the current brake testing machines are a pain for classics emissions are a waste of time all your checking is the electrics and linkages and these are dodgy you will get pulled and given a ticket any how .

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Bodger

Thanks

Dave your van is currently registered as Historic Vehicle which is a tax class. VHI is a separate thing and is related to MoTs, not road tax. The only correlation is that at tax renewal time you will have to declare whether you think your van is a Vehicle of Historic Interest ie No moT (if you wish) or substantially modified ie you need MoT. Your tax class WILL not change. Substantially modified is nothing to do with radically modified cars or Q plates either.

Insurance companies have already released statements on this. They cannot overule a law of the land its really is that simple. What they re iterate and have always said in the small print, you are responsible for ensuring your vehicle is roadworthy at all times that means not just on MoT day if you currently need one. As far as i'm aware there has been no issue with the thousands of pre 60 cars and the thousands of old commercials that dont have Mot's either.
    OK Ken thanks. Makes things somewhat clearer now I know they are totally separate. As stated I'm gonna keep getting MOT anyway so there's no point in applying for it.

One thing I did read other day (and this applies to ALL car new and old) is that if your car fails the MOT you can't drive it home to fix it even if you have some time left on your exisiting MOT. The fail basically over-rules the current certificate and it has to be fixed there or trailered home. Dunno if this is 100% correct.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Partly right, depends what it fails on. The catogories have changed apparently too, major minor fail or something like that. But yes even if your old one hasn't expired and your car fails it overides that certificate. You can still drive it away to get it repaired as long as it hasn't been issued with a red fail sheet, but basically you wont have MoT until it passes. You can drive to a mot station without Mot as long as its booked in, so I dont see why you cant drive it to a place of repair be that home or whatever. Not all mot stations repair cars so what are you supposed to do.

Racer Decade Plus User rallyrob's Avatar

Thanks

Not all mot stations repair cars so what are you supposed to do.
    Thats a very valid point..

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Like most it seems, I’d think it wise to MOT each year if only to give yourself peace of mind regarding brakes. We can all check lights, tyres etc but we can’t test the brake resistance.
    I was talking to my MOT guy just the other day regarding this very issue and he mentioned it’s amazing how many cars he’s had over the years where a brake pipe has just let go.

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

yeah as a tester myself, i can confirm, its not that rare for a brake pipe to give out when we do the roller brake test,

we also have quite a few customers who have cars which are actually mot exempt, but they all have mot tests done.

think of it the other way round given two near identical classic cars for sale, one which has had an mot each year or one which hasnt had an mot for god knows how many years, which one would you buy?

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    yeah as a tester myself, i can confirm, its not that rare for a brake pipe to give out when we do the roller brake test,

we also have quite a few customers who have cars which are actually mot exempt, but they all have mot tests done.

think of it the other way round given two near identical classic cars for sale, one which has had an mot each year or one which hasnt had an mot for god knows how many years, which one would you buy?
    And that has been my argument with loads of people on this Graham.

Bodger

Thanks

Think we need form V112 to apply for exemption.All I can find is a form which applies to vehicles built before 1960 no mention of 40 year old plus cars.So I’ve just taxed my 52 year old car(historic so free) which starts 1st May and its MOT expires end of May and I don’t intend to mot it.So do I just drive it after this date without filling any form ? Or am I going to be breaking the law.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gingerdave View Post
    Think we need form V112 to apply for exemption.All I can find is a form which applies to vehicles built before 1960 no mention of 40 year old plus cars.So I’ve just taxed my 52 year old car(historic so free) which starts 1st May and its MOT expires end of May and I don’t intend to mot it.So do I just drive it after this date without filling any form ? Or am I going to be breaking the law.
    Next month you will be able to self declare mot exemption and you will self declare within the 8 point rule if you intend to go no mot then you will have to fill in the form

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread