User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Exh. Manifold Fouling Sump

Thanks

Exh. Manifold Fouling Sump

Hoping someones got their imagination hat on as I'm in need of some ingenuitive/cheap ideas!

ZVH engine so CVH (n/a) Magnex manifold and Zetec silvertop sump.

Clearly twatted the road a few too many times and so the manifold is now sitting against the corner of the sump and is making a horrible resonance at certain RPM (not to mention probably sending a load of heat into my oil).

I can lever it away from the sump with a pry bar and wedged some exhaust wrap in there but the tiny vibrations just wear through this in no time. Went out and bought a 5tonne ratchet/tie-down strap and used this Friday morning (after a run so the system was nice and hot) to pull the manifold away from the sump. This created a good ~1cm gap all round and have left it like that for the last 2 days hoping the manifold might at least take "some" of the form it was being held in.
    Released the strap just now and of course its just pinged back where it started

Anyone got any thoughts as to what the hell else i can try?

Cars a daily so whipping the sump off and getting the corner cut/tigged is not an option (plus reducing sump capacity etc isnt where i want to go for what is essentially an "annoying vibration") and the Manifold is fine other than this so again don't want to be buying new either.

Thanks

Re: Exh. Manifold Fouling Sump

Can't you make a part hacksaw cut (about 3/4 of the way round)in the pipe just before the place where it hits the sump, bend it to close the gap and then weld it?

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

the only way your ratchet strap idea will work is if once you have strapped it you use an acetylene torch to heat the manifold red hot so it relaxes into the strapped position.

a cheap fix might be buy a manifold flange and use it to space the manifold away from the head

Thanks

I did consider this Graham. I haven't got access to Oxy, have got plenty of MAP and a decent torch. Do you reckon that would have any effect or would i just be wasting gas...?

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

having bent plenty of exhausts in my time you probably wont do it without oxy as you need to get the manifold almost white hot before it will bend

+ Reply to Thread