User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My '76 RS Mexico

Bodger

Thanks

Re: My '76 RS Mexico

Back on the tools again!

Pulled all the bits from the boot to gain access to the entire fuel line, so I can replace it, from the pump to the carbs

The fuel line, battery positive and chassis harness all ran through the same opening in the firewall and was sealed off by some expanding foam.

It was easy to find where someone had cut/spliced the rear harness already which made it easy to move into the main cabin.
    The boot floor is in need of some mending and there's a good number of patches to be sorted out as well.

The battery positive cable was also spliced, so it will be completely replaced with a heavier gauge piece.
    It's all pulled though and just a bit more work in the cabin and moving on to the engine bay.

Bodger

Thanks

Back on the tools again!

Pulled all the bits from the boot to gain access to the entire fuel line, so I can replace it, from the pump to the carbs

The fuel line, battery positive and chassis harness all ran through the same opening in the firewall and was sealed off by some expanding foam.

It was easy to find where someone had cut/spliced the rear harness already which made it easy to move into the main cabin.
    The boot floor is in need of some mending and there's a good number of patches to be sorted out as well.

The battery positive cable was also spliced, so it will be completely replaced with a heavier gauge piece.
    It's all pulled though and just a bit more work in the cabin and moving on to the engine bay.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sepp For This Useful Post:

Racer Decade Plus User wildo105e's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

I'm no expert but that fuel line doesn't look the best. Good job your replacing it. I hate that clear hose.

Good work

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wildo105e For This Useful Post:

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wildo105e View Post
    I'm no expert but that fuel line doesn't look the best. Good job your replacing it. I hate that clear hose.

Good work
    Yes that clear hose is terrible goes rock hard and you can’t do anything with it

Bodger

Thanks

Sorry about the double post....not sure how that happened.
    Yes, the clear hose is very hard, and probably quite brittle.

I'll also take the oppurtunity to run extra fittings in the firewall for new dry sump lines.

A good amount of smoke in the shop tonight, as I was busy working away on getting the boot floor sorted out.

It's not going to be a show car, but since I'm making a mess, I'll remove the few too many coats of paint in there.

And on the list, is to weld up some of the unused holes and stress cracks where the battery box mounts.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sepp For This Useful Post:

Bodger

Thanks

It didn't take much time, but the engine is prepped to be pulled.
    I'm really looking forward to getting the engine bay sorted out, and.....

It will be a lot easier to do a proper job on this fuel line. It runs through a welded-in support, so I will have to think of routing the new one, elsewhere.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sepp For This Useful Post:

Bodger

Thanks

All of the fuel line is out. I didnt realize it earlier, but the car had hard line ran through the entire interior, covered in the flex hose. So not as scary as I had initially thought.

With the engine out, it's welding work in the front....

...And welding in the rear...

The headers have been extensively stone chipped from years of gravel stage use.

The surface rust is gone, and I hope to bring them to a shop to get ceramic coated tomorrow.

And with the lines/seat out of the way, I took care of the surface rust on the floor .

I pulled off the VIN tag so I can properly respray the radiator support. I definitely need a replacement.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sepp For This Useful Post:

Bodger

Thanks

The boot is nearly sorted.

Found some more surface rust while working on the cabin...

And quickly mended the issues.

The header and down pipe are sorted. The headers are ceramic coated and I used flame-proof paint on the downpipe.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sepp For This Useful Post:

Racer Decade Plus User jimmy2006's Avatar

My 1st Project
    Thanks

it coming along for the summer
    sideways is the best way to turn a corner

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmy2006 For This Useful Post:

Bodger

Thanks

Yes!! Getting ready for the upcoming warm season...looking forward to it.

I took the sorry looking strut bar and have sprayed it the same colour as the engine bay.

Engine is back home again and down pipe is back in!!

Setting the valve clearances since there's no easier time to do it.

The cam cover was looking tired as well, so new Ford blue makes it look much better,

While waiting for paint to dry, I cleaned up a fair amount of grime from the starter and windscreen wash bottle.

Last edited by Sepp; 24-01-2021 at 03:56.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sepp For This Useful Post:

Bodger

Thanks

I'm hitting this project hard, as the Audi project really needs to get going again.

I was happy to get some new gaskets in for everything I took apart, but somehow the cam cover gasket dosen't match.
    The tabs are off placed as well as the mounting bolt holes.

I hate reusing gaskets, but I really want to get this car running again, so I'll have to replace it later after I find a correct replacement.

Getting all the bits in place, and finding the best routes for all of the cables.
    The new fuel line is installed in the engine bay...

And thank goodness for the interweb...I took this FPR apart to clean out the bowl and the pin/sping/seat came out...I had to look up how they went all back in place.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sepp For This Useful Post:

Bodger

Thanks

It took most of the weekend and some incredibly colourful language, but I was able to wrap the headers and downpipe.

This thermographic pic was from last year, and I'm looking forward to shooting the car again after the first drive.

And finally more bits installed after getting them freshened up.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sepp For This Useful Post:

Bodger

Thanks

So I have no problems saying that I did something wrong.
    I did some very quick research on braided fuel lines and read that the PTFE stuff is the way to go, since it will work with any fuel type.
    Cool.
    I ordered the stuff on the right and quickly fitted a piece in the engine bay.
    A few days go by and I learn that this kind is not "conductive" and can cause major issues with electrical static build up (not good to have sparks inside your gas line!)
    So, I promptly order the stuff on the left which has carbon added to the PTFE tube which allows conductivity of the static, allowing safe discharge and no fire.

So, fuel line #2 is installed and I had scored a roll of electrical loom tubing. I used quite a bit of it to protect the multitude of wires and keep them safe from flying debris/oil/etc.

And I finally got nearly all the bits in. Just have to install the spark plugs/wires after I blow out the cylinders, as well as run some new gas lines from the pressure regulator to the Carbs.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sepp For This Useful Post:

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sepp View Post
    So I have no problems saying that I did something wrong.
    I did some very quick research on braided fuel lines and read that the PTFE stuff is the way to go, since it will work with any fuel type.

A few days go by and I learn that this kind is not "conductive" and can cause major issues with electrical static build up (not good to have sparks inside your gas line!)
    So, I promptly order the stuff on the left which has carbon added to the PTFE tube which allows conductivity of the static, allowing safe discharge and no fire.
    That's a new one on me - never heard that before! And as regards sparks inside the fuel line - you can submerge a spark plug in fuel and IF you could get it to spark (unlikely as neat fuel is an insulator as most oils are) nothing would happen! It only ignites as a vapour / in presence of excessive air! Carbon fuel lines - maybe marketing hype?
    BTW I use regular ptfe hose lines and other plastic fuel lines issue free - in fact most modern cars use regular plastic for fuel lines - biggest problem is with ethanol content de-plasticising them!

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to katana For This Useful Post:

Bodger

Thanks

The issue that I had heard was that the white lines may arc, causing damage to the ptfe hose and lead to potential leaks.
    So, since I had only ran one piece, a meter long, I decided to just get the carbon lines so that's one less thing to worry about. haha!

+ Reply to Thread