User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flow Bench Calibration Issue

Thanks

Flow Bench Calibration Issue

Hi All, I got my DIY flow bench running last week. Big thanks to the brains trust on this forum for the inspiration on getting me started on this project. Great information found here.

My flow bench is based on the DTEC model. I have had my orifice plate and test plates flow tested on a SF120 bench.
    The issue I'm having is with the calibration. When I flow test the test plate directly to the flowbench top without an adapter it's pretty much spot on.
    But when I put the test plates on top of the head adapter I've made for it, the figures are well out by 12cfm reading high.
    So thinking it's a air leak, I should be able to test this leak. Using my smallest orifice hole that flows just 13cfm, a 12cfm air leak should be easily measured. But with the top of the adapter closed off it's reading less than 1cfm of leakage.
    So now I am at a loss as to why the bench isn't reading true with the adapter on. Logic is telling me it's an air leak. But if this is the case why can't I measure it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180521_111431.jpg‎  

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

Re: Flow Bench Calibration Issue

i see no need to flow test with the calibration plate on top of the adapter, you know the bench reads correct, imho best way to leak test if with a head in place and both valves shut

Thanks

Re: Flow Bench Calibration Issue

Ok so no need to test on top of the adapter, that's good. It's been doing my head in all day trying to figure this out.
    Thanks for that Graham.

+ Reply to Thread