User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hydraulic clutch spacing

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

hydraulic clutch spacing

Hi all, hoping someone can shed some light on a potential issue I'm having. I have a retro ford flywheel, clutch plate and cover, bellhousing, and concentric slave cylinder so hoped all would be machined correctly. I trial fitted today and as a placed the bellhousing to the engine the body of the engine I felt the front of the slave cylinder hit the fingers of the clutch. I have already fitted and torqued the clutch plate (which I believe doesn't help, but would rather not removed again if I have to, clean threads etc etc). The bellhousing can easily be push flush with the engine body and moves contacts about 8mm or so out. Reading other posts I took the measurements from engine body to clutch fingers (A) and top of slave cylinder to top of bellhousing (fully compressed and free) B and C respectively.

A = 77-80mm (so say +3) = 80-83 - I was having trouble measuring this accurately as my larger set square wasn't playing ball.
    B = 60mm (compressed)
    C = 80mm (free)

From what I know there should be any contact, but around 3mm of gap? Pictures below a,b,c , you can see that the fingers of the clutch cover have had contact with the cylinder front (rubbed off some of the black paint). Hopefully someone has come across this before - if not I'll contact retroford next week and see what his take on it is. cheers

Click image for larger version Name:	clutch_a.jpg Views:	35 Size:	45.6 KB ID:	82874Click image for larger version Name:	clutch_b.jpg Views:	35 Size:	53.8 KB ID:	82873Click image for larger version Name:	clutch_c.jpg Views:	35 Size:	57.7 KB ID:	82872

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Re: hydraulic clutch spacing

For anyone that might be interested spoke to dave and said that the clutch has a light spring in it and is designed to be in contact all the time. The measurements all round are very close to spot on so let’s see how we go.

+ Reply to Thread