User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HELP! Zetec cams snapped at timing slots!!!!

Bodger

Thanks

HELP! Zetec cams snapped at timing slots!!!!

Hi All,

The water pump started to get noisy so as the car is just over 100k I decided to order a full timing and pump kit, its a 1.6 Zetec SE (2002).

Stripped the car this morning to find that the back of both the cams have been snapped where the locking bar slots in.

Is there anyway around this without replacing the cam shafts.

I've not undone the crank bolt yet so that was a stroke of luck but the belt still needs replacing and I really can't see away to get around locking the cams in place so have come here to ask you guys in case there is a way I can still replace the belt.

Thanks in advance,

Po79.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: HELP! Zetec cams snapped at timing slots!!!!

Why move the crank pulley? A couple of mole grips clamped onto the cams and set against the cam cover face of the head should hold them sufficiently for belt swop - re-tension belt before removing them. As long as the crank / cams aren't moved / rotated, the belt should be able to replaced in any position. Or fab up a bar with two bolts that locate through the sprocket slots (zetec E has them) to lock them together?

Bodger

Thanks

Hi Katana,

I've not worked on a Zetec for a long time but I thought the crank bolt always needs to be removed to get the auxillary pulley and cam covers off to access the old belt and replace.

Is there (and quite possibly there is) something I have missed.

Cheers, Po

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Po79 View Post
    Hi Katana,

I've not worked on a Zetec for a long time but I thought the crank bolt always needs to be removed to get the auxillary pulley and cam covers off to access the old belt and replace.

Is there (and quite possibly there is) something I have missed.

Cheers, Po
    Indeed the crankshaft pulley does have to come off to remove and fit a new belt. The pulley is of interference fit so there's no keyway. Remember to use new bolts as they are stretch bolts. A good quality belt kit should have new bolts.

As for the slots in the end of the cams, they are Not for locking the cams, just for location of the timing. People believe they can undo and tighten the cam pulley bolts with a bar in there, this is when they get snapped off. You'll have to get number 1 piston at tdc with the valves on overlap and carefully mark the cams as to their position before removing the timing belt. Make sure your piston has n't moved off tdc when you refit the belt. From memory there's a locking pin that goes into the crank through the block. Don't force against this when removing or tightening the crank bolt, you'll have to make or buy a locking tool for the bottom pulley as bolt is quite tight.

World Champion Decade Plus User alladdin's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

as above - new bolts , touch of locktite and a big airgun to hammer it up as they are known to move after removing if not 100%

Racer Decade Plus User rallyrob's Avatar

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Forest_rallying View Post
    As for the slots in the end of the cams, they are Not for locking the cams, just for location of the timing. People believe they can undo and tighten the cam pulley bolts with a bar in there, this is when they get snapped off.
    From memory there's a locking pin that goes into the crank through the block. Don't force against this when removing or tightening the crank bolt

Been there done that, on my Daughter's little 12.50cc zetec Fiesta, but we only broke the back off one camshaft. And we failed miserably trying to get the Crank pulley bolt undone. We're still not sure how but it also managed to jump a tooth or something similar at least anyway. We did eventually re-time it at a slightly later date, but gave up trying to do the cambelt, then she had the tiniest of accidents in it an the Insurance wrote it off anyway.

Fortunately we didn't do anything with the locking pin through the block, but you can bend it over inside the block by turning the crank against it to hard. This on it's own will cause a whole new world of pain because you then can't get it back out again either.

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

I don't think there's any chance of getting an air gun on the bottom pulley bolt due to the chassis being in the way. You need the special locking bar to go into the bottom pulley and jam it against something sturdy whilst undoing the bolt with a long breaker bar.

Once the new belt and cover is fitted the bottom bolt can now be retorqued. With no1 piston at tdc. cams timed in the correct position with the cam wheel bolts loose. Fit the belt along with a new adjuster and tension belt. Double check your piston is at tdc with a dial gauge down the plug hole and also check that your cams have n't moved from their markings. Then carefully tighten the cam pulley bolts holding a spanner on each cam. When every thing has been refitted turn over the engine by hand and double check your timing marks. I hope this all makes some sort of sense and is of help to you.
    Last edited by Forest_rallying; 18-06-2018 at 21:40.

+ Reply to Thread