User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Head choice

Thanks

Head choice

Help me choose a 8 valve pinto head for my project srd holbay burton david brooks hpe cane vulcan linford
    All stage 3 trying to be over 220hp mark any suggstion N A ONLY
    Can't Touch This

Pole Position Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Administrator

Thanks

Re: Head choice

If you are talking 2 litre pinto then the people who can build an engine with a true 220 bhp are very very rare.
    It is not a case of taking a head off the shelve and put it on a short block fit a cam big carbs or injection.

Mechanic

Thanks

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    The problem with doing a top spec head is the time it takes to complete it. How can you charge for all the man hrs it takes to get it to the required standard to make decent power. This is why the likes of Brookes are charging the thick end of 2k for such an item. Good luck with getting 220 bhp out of a 2 litre Pinto.
    Last edited by Forest_rallying; 18-06-2018 at 21:15.

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

as above. there's not a cat in hells chance of buying an off the shelf head and making 220 bhp from 2.0, unless your going to run it on rocket fuel. or your using a bullshit dyno.

cnc heads (rick wood) do some mighty expensive heads they claim there big valve pinto head will do 210bhp, thats got to be pretty much the ultimate by conventional porting alone.

if i see 220bhp from a 2.3 i will be happy, back in the day all the best tuners were claiming 240bhp in reality i don't think any had more than 215, and even then most of them were bigger than 2.0. could it be done from 2.0 on normal fuel? yes probably, but if you have a big enough budget to allow some to develop such an engine you can afford to go to someone that knows how to do it already

Thanks

Thanks guys for all that info any one got personal experience with any of the above mention heads
    Can't Touch This

Mechanic

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Forest_rallying View Post
    The problem with doing a top spec head is the time it takes to complete it. How can you charge for all the man hrs it takes to get it to the required standard to make decent power. This is why the likes of Brookes are charging the thick end of 2k for such an item. Good luck with getting 220 bhp out of a 2 litre Pinto.
    The best will always cost money, if graham did a head, you would be paying for his hours work and on top of that all his knolage from years of development, when paying for somthing like a top spec head I’d say you where paying for his knolage more than anything,

That’s the same with anyone who is good at there job if it’s skilled,

At the end of the day power costs money

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Are you restricted to 2.0 ? If not to get close to 200 bhp id say a 88mm crank with a 93mm slipper type piston longest rod combo with a Vulcan or HPE head GTS4 OR GTS7 12.5 to 1 compression ratio. twin 50s with big chokes and rev the guts out of it ,, you should see 200bhp or more maybe if the head geometry is set up right to get the valve lift close to the book figures ..

My Race Car
    Thanks

I would say, a really trick head is needed to achieve over 210bhp in a 2.0 engine. In my opinion raised ports etc kind of trick modifications is absolutely necessary.

By the way, has anyone tried CNChead's raised port alloy Pinto head ? Ric Wood has been working on such a head if I am not wrong.

+ Reply to Thread