User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: xflow not runing properlly

Bodger

Thanks

xflow not runing properlly

My 1300 xflow has a bcf2 and a weber 32/36. I can not idle with the speed screw at 1.5 turns it is more like 3 turns, It is already opening the progression hole, I have checked for vaccum leaks around the carb but I can't find any. Even with a larger idle jet (55) the mixture screw is more than 2 turns out. The idle is rought and while driving it exitates a bit when acelerating (i think this is a diferent problem that has to do with the jets not being the proper ones).
    Maybe the idle circuit is busted, but I have already checked for blocked jets, and they aren't ...?????? what do you think?

I am runing a non vacuum eletronic distributor. I think I should be using a vacuum distriutor, but meanwhile I was wondering how many degrees of advance at idle should I get? It runs better at like 16+ degrees at idle wich i think is too much, although the engine doesn't seem to ping.
    what I am more puzzled about is that when idling I don´t seem to have any vacuum at all on the carb advance port, only when I acelerate a bit, shouldn't it have vacuum when idling and stop when throttle is applied?
    I think all these problems are linked, but i don't know where to start.

Bodger

Thanks

Re: xflow not runing properlly

And I forget to mention that sometimes when it seats for a couple of days, it takes a lot of cranks to start, and when it does that and finally starts I need to keep my foot on the acelerator a bit so it doesn´t die.
    It is a manual choke and I would like to know how to set the high speed idle, I think that might be the problem...

World Champion Decade Plus User alladdin's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

xflow not runing properlly

Have you checked cam timing ? Did you build it yourself and Has it always been like this ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

If you have the opportunity, try another carb,
    I ran a 1600 xflow with same cam bcf2, had to put a lot of advance at idle, around 15.

Bodger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alladdin View Post
    Have you checked cam timing ? Did you build it yourself and Has it always been like this ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The engine was built by me. It was even worst so then I rechecked cam timing and it was retarded, now it is set to the correct value, it got a bit better but the problem at idle remains.

Bodger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mkdu View Post
    If you have the opportunity, try another carb,
    I ran a 1600 xflow with same cam bcf2, had to put a lot of advance at idle, around 15.
    but those 15º are with a vacuum distributor right?
    I think the vacuum advances the timing when idling am I right??? the thing is that I only have a bit of vacuum on the port when I give it some throtle.
    Last edited by carmos; 29-06-2018 at 12:01.

Pole Position Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Administrator

Thanks

No, when idling the vacuum advance does nothing as the vacuum take-off port is just above the throttle plate when idling, so no vacuum to distributor.

Bodger

Thanks

oh ok thanks.
    Is it normal that when I set the timing strobe light to 14º or other figure, with the engine runing, the mark on pulley is all over the place, but if I set the strobe to 0º the mark on pulley stays still? This makes the timing a bit hard to set

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carmos View Post
    oh ok thanks.
    Is it normal that when I set the timing strobe light to 14º or other figure, with the engine runing, the mark on pulley is all over the place, but if I set the strobe to 0º the mark on pulley stays still? This makes the timing a bit hard to set
    Possibly a broken spring on the mechanical advance in the dizzy so advance isn't fully controlled?

Bodger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katana View Post
    Possibly a broken spring on the mechanical advance in the dizzy so advance isn't fully controlled?
    I don´t think so, because with the engine runing at the same speed with the strobe set to fire at 0º advance the mark on the pulley stays still and if I dial some advance on the timing light the mark is all over the place.

The thing is that with the strobe set to fire at 0º advance I don't know where is 14 or 15º because the block only has a 12º mark

I think I have to try with another timing light

Thanks

you need to find the true 0, like dialing the cam, don't trust the pulley if you don't sure of the real TDC.
    Then with a good timing light, you can set the advance on the light, and check with your mark on the pulley,

mine was without vacum, was a programmable one, so I was able to adjust the curve
    Last edited by Mkdu; 01-07-2018 at 12:07.

Bodger

Thanks

Just a question:
    The idle speed is to low with the idle speed screw at 1.5 turns in (not exposing the progression hole). I need to turn it like 3 turns to get a good idle (1000 rmp), exposing the progresion hole a lot, and making a flat spot on the begging of aceleration. Should I try drill a 1mm hole on the throttle plate? I think I read that somewhere.
    I have a spare one, so id it doesn't work I can allways swap them.
    What do you think?

Bodger

Thanks

Just a question:
    The idle speed is to low with the idle speed screw at 1.5 turns in (not exposing the progression hole). I need to turn it like 3 turns to get a good idle (1000 rmp), exposing the progresion hole a lot, and making a flat spot on the begging of aceleration. Should I try drill a 1mm hole on the throttle plate? I think I read that somewhere.
    I have a spare one, so id it doesn't work I can allways swap them.
    What do you think?

+ Reply to Thread