User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flywheel weight for my 1370 xflow

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Flywheel weight for my 1370 xflow

I have a Mk1 Fiesta that i use for sprinting and Hill climbing. very rarely is she driven on the road.

Spec is 1370cc, piper 285 Cam and a full race head, she is producing 100bhp at the moment. After a track day at castle combe this weekend the rear main oil seal has failed so i have the box and flywheel off to fix that and i might as well fit a lighter flywheel whilst it is apart.

The standard flywheel weighs in at 8.7kgs

I have a lightened one at 6.2kgs but its drilled to take a RS Turbo clutch so the weight saving inc the clutch is only 1.5kgs.

The question is for the application I use the car for can i go lighter and if so how light should I go?

In the future the engine will be rebuilt with a flat piston long rod combination but that's for the winter time.

Many thanks
    Darren

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

Re: Flywheel weight for my 1370 xflow

you can go lighter, it just makes any road use a pain, but if you go to a steel skeleton flywheel and 184mm race clutch with a cerametallic plate it will just about be road usable but you will not only save around 5kg, the smaller diameter clutch will help by more than the pure weight saving suggests

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread