User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Road Rally 205 GTi

Thanks

Re: Road Rally 205 GTi

Competed on the Sarn Helen road rally on Saturday night. A very challenging event as Claire was ill on Friday and all day Saturday and was not in any fit state to navigate but fair play to her she dug deep and got us around the route. We finished 50th overall and 4th in class. Picked up 2 fails early on which we really shouldnt have, school boy error on my part really, but did cost us a 3rd in class but thats rallying. The cold weather made the roads very slippy wich added to the challenge as temperetures dropped to -3 and we had one minor off into a field but thanks to some very helpful guys we were helped out of and sent on our way. Thats the last road rally for me for the year now, a few nights in the garage to tidy the car up and remove the sunroof and blank it off and we can go and get our MSA logbook and have a go at stage events then which Im really looking forward too.

Thanks

hi mate,have done loads of events in 205s and 309s and navigate for my mate in his 205.best mod we did to his car is to fit a 4.4cwp out of a mi16 box helps the gearing no end!would recommend a group n engine mount kit as saves downpipes and gear linkages popping off.good luck!
    Click image for larger version Name:	Firefly%20Rally%202005%20%20%20%20(c)%20Brian%20Gilbert%20092.jpg Views:	502 Size:	22.6 KB ID:	49388
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Firefly20Rally20200520202020c20Bria.jpg‎  

Last edited by danknight72; 21-11-2011 at 01:58.

Pole Position Decade Plus User M11rf's Avatar

Thanks

Only just caught up with this thread... Nice one for getting out there and doing this

I would love to have a go, one day.

Tyre Kicker

Kidderminster, Worcestershire and Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire
    Thanks

i'd confirm what Dan has said re the 4.4, it's the best and cheapest mod you'll make.
    The last Mi box I paid £1 for off ebay but they're thin on the ground these days, on ebay anyway.
    here's the build thred on my 205, which you may find useful http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...owtopic=100177

Thanks

Nice project you got there Phil. Everyone says about a 4.4 cwp and the box is something I'll be looking at developing for next year now so we'll see how it goes. Car is away at the moment having its sunroof hole plated so should be some piccies once its back.

Thanks

Little Pugsley will be getting logbooked on Sunday so we have been busy lately with getting sorted and upto standard. The main thing is that the sunroof has gone and a nice plate has been fitted in its place. Everything is sorted inside now with cut off switched and pull cords for the plumbed in. Door squares have also been added and a few other small details. All it needs now is a wash and re fit rear mud flaps and it should all be ok.

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

nice little rally car
    had a ap suretrack diff in my old one it seem'd to get the grip on slippy stuff
    found the standard rack had not much lock for catching sideways stuff as i found out when i put it in a hedge after thinking id enough lock on to catch it

Thanks

Nice little Puglet!

I have an Mi box stashed away somewhere with 4.4FD if you haven't got one yet & want one, i'm on 'drivers too, think i've seen your name on there!
    Baz - 205parts@uk7.net

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BluPrinT View Post
    Nice little Puglet!

I have an Mi box stashed away somewhere with 4.4FD if you haven't got one yet & want one, i'm on 'drivers too, think i've seen your name on there!
    Ah, nice one. Yeah I'm on there too. Will let you know about the box after new years. Cheers.

Thanks

First stage event coming on Wednesday 28th. West Wales Rally Spares Christmas Stages down Pembrey Race Circuit. Last 2 road rallies we did we notice a slight little knock/rattle. On investigations it came to light the bushes were a bit worse for wear in the bottom arm so a new one was sourced and fitted. Quick test drive and noise was stilll there. Phone call to Neil, who's helped out all the way, and he came down for a nose. Turned out that the gear selector had come loose and was rattling around so nipped that up. Neil also noticed that our strut tops were a little higher than they should be and that one had even started touching the bonnet so the struts were removed to have new rubbers installed.
    So as it stands the car is currently leg less. Should be back together this afternoon. Some pics to follow.

Merry Christmas to you all and a happy New Year.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Good luck for Wednesday ,will see you there I am the one on the Gate who will let you in .

Merry Christmass and a Happy New Year to you all.

Thanks

Ah lovely, shall see you bright and early on Wednesday morning

Spent a bit of time yesterday sorting the car out. Refitted struts after tops rebuilt and changed over plugs and leads. Quick swap of wheels tomorrow and a little bit of testing and we should be good to go for the Christmas stages down Pembrey on Wedensday. Qucik pics below.

Thanks

Did Chirstmas stages down Pembrey yesterday. 1st stage event for me driving so was interesting. We took it easy on stage 1 just to see how slippy it was. Pushed a bit on stage 2 trying to catch my mate in car 68 and had a big spin at about 80mph on the back of the circuit , had a slight off on stage 3 on beach road, either a bit to quick into a right bend or just caught a bump on the inside which upset the rear of the car. Back end stepped out and touched the grass, caught the slide but had a tank slapper the other way, hit the grass on the other side of the road then spun off the road and ended up in a ditch half in water. No damage, just couldnt get the car out. :blush: I ll put a pic up later on that i took once i got out. Stage 4 took it easy to get my confidence back and then went 29 seconds quicker on stage 5 which was the same as 4. Not a bad first stage event, big learning experience and we were going ok. Before our off we were something like 48th overall and 11th in class so going ok. Finished last but one in the trophy rally but when Peter Lloyd was in there in his Impreza WRC then there was no chance so it was just to gain experience. Looking forward to next year now.

Some little chages to be made to the car before next year which will be kept updated on here.

Quick pic of our little off on Beach road.

Thanks

On board of our little off on SS3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLEtVbP0zIs

Thanks

SS2 on board now available. Big spin around half way through
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw_Wq7TjIwk

Thanks

Hows it goin Arwel, yer was there for a couple of hours, goin well to, saw the in car lol lots of F... lol,

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by waynemk2 View Post
    Hows it goin Arwel, yer was there for a couple of hours, goin well to, saw the in car lol lots of F... lol,
    Was a good day fair play..live and learn from the little off's Look forward to Cwm Gwendraeth down in Pembrey next month now. Fair bit of colourful language going on in the car all day

On another note. Do you know anyone who has a BE3 box with a Slip and 4.4 CWP? Thats next big purchase now as we struggled a bit on tight stuff just spinning the inner wheel

Thanks

Hi Arwel
    Yer noticed you were spinning up the wheel on go cart track,
    Diff will make a big difference,
    My mate in the blue pug got a box done by Andy Baker, and the ratios are awesome
    cheers

Thanks

Nothing much to report latley. I have been busy spending some ££ on bits and bobs. Ordered bottom arm for the driver side after changing the passenger side before Christmas, new strut top mounts as the standard rubber ones are knackered, discs and pads as the front ones are dead, had a new centre box put in as i ruined the last one when i squashed it putting the car on the trailer after last rally, fitted a new gear knob as the standard one was held together by duck tape and i did an oil change this afternoon.

We have entered the Steve Harkness Tyres Welsh Tarmac Championship which kicks off in Pembrey with the Rali Cwm Gwendraeth on the 19th of Feb and then we'll do Caerwent in March and Talbenny in April. No plan to do Epynt yet as I'm still learning and the last thing I want to do is have an off up there :blush: so we'll concentrate on doing the other rounds which will be another Caerwent in June and then Peter Lloyd Stages in Pembrey again in October. No road rallies planned for me at the moment, just wait and see what takes my fancy.

On another note we have gained the backing of Kick Energy which should save us some cash in energy drinks.

Thanks

hi mate,i would plate the top of the suspension turrets,one stop in crewe sell laser cut ones

Racer Decade Plus User mexicotait's Avatar

My 1st Project
    Thanks

what tyre pressures are you running ? do you run the same all round?
    205s are really light in the back so id recommend running lower pressure or even a softer compound on the back
    we have always run with about a three to four psi difference between front and back normally we want 28 front and 24 back when hot
    depending on the temperature and surface we normally start about four degrees under when cold
    took lots of trying and testing to get it right but we kepttrying going up or down one psi at a time and eventually found where the driver was happy
    Hexham and District Motorclub

Thanks

Had a bit of an eventful day yesterday on the Rali Cwm Gwendraeth at Pembrey. Nice to meet Hsm on the gate in the morning.
    We had a bit of arubbish morning as the first 3 stages thats all we seemed to be doing was spinning or hitting things. 3 spins on stage 1 and clipped a tyre, a little off on stage 2 which cost us over 5 mins as we got beached on a lorry tyre and had to jack the car up on mud to remove the tyre before we could carry on then one more spin on stage 3 which got some speccies running.

Afternoon went much better. To try and cure the tail end happiness of the car we added an extra spare in the boot and filled the fuel tank and seemed to work well. Much neater and quciker in the afternoon. I set out to finish and ended up 43rd overall and 5th in class so I was really happy. Also managed to get some scores on the doors in the championship. No pics yet but when I get some I'll pop them up on here.

New uprated rubber strut top mounts worked well. Rear end needs sorting. I was running same PSI al round, may try some different psi in the rears for the next one and some solid mounts are defo on the cards.

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Lower tyre pressures in the rear will solve your tail happyness

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mexicotait View Post
    Lower tyre pressures in the rear will solve your tail happyness
    Nice one, shall give it a go for Caerwent next month. Need to be extra neat apparently as there are high kerbs lining the road that ll destroy wheels if you hit them.

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Yeh it can be a scary place that great event though
    Good luck !

Thanks

Cheeky pic from Sunday. On boards are yet to be edited but should be done soon.

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Nice slide !!!

Thanks

Stage 1 and 2 now done. Stage 1 had a few spins and clouted some tyres. Stage 2 had a bit of an off and got beached on a lorry tyre which cost us about 6 mins. Enjoy

Stage1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXAGCwY_Ubw

Stage 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5lRNWr8tqU

Thanks

Quick little update. Round 3 of the Steve Harkness Welsh Tarmac Championship is in Caerwent next Sunday 25/3/2012. Missed round 2 as it was the Tour of Epynt and I have'nt found balls big enough to have a go at Epynt yet so we're back for round 3. Even after missing round 2 we are leading Class 5 of the Championship...mainly as we are the only crew entered in the category but thats a minor detail

Car is currently in a friends garage where it will be having some solid mounts fitted to the beam, to try and improve the tail happiness of the car, and a quick spanner check to make sure everything is ok.Should get some work in progress pics on Monday.

Thanks

Well what a busy day today has been. Spent the day in a friends garage who had offered to help (do most of the work) change the beam mounts to solid ones and bushes to polybushed ones. Everything went well really, beam came off the car no problem, gave it a quick check over and its all good. The rear blocks and the front bushes were shot through, no wonder it had been trying to come around a lot latelty. the rubber blocks when compared side by side were different in height by about 5mm so that probably was nt helping things. Front bushes were a bit of a pain to get out but eventually they came out and in went the polybushed ones.

Drove home about 20 miles or so and difference is amazing. Car feel a lot more planted in the corner and doesnt seem to wonder around at the rear. Turn in and the whole car now turns so a little bit of testing later in the week now and should be looking promising for Caerwent on Sunday.

Couple of quick pics below.

Beam off

Old blocks off (no old bushes as there was nothing left of them)

New bushes and blocks

All back together

Thanks

What a day today has been. Did the Tour of Caerwent rally within the Caerwent Military training grounds. What a venue. After being warned about the kerbs that line the road, the aim was simple..Stay away from them and get a finish. 7 stages and around 70 competative miles. Very warm day which had me slightly worried after stage 1 as the water temp was creeping slowly towards the red. By the end of stage 2 it was in the red and the stop light appeared on the dash, we were near the finish so we plodded on. Came to the end control and the marshal pointed out that we had a lot of water pouring out from underneath. Initial thoughts were that it had thrown a pipe but it turned out that the expansion tank had pressurised so much and then emptied most of its contents out of the overflow pipe. We let it cool down then replaced the water and replaced the expansion tank cap as it had a nice crack running through it. Turned the heater in the car on hot and all was well for the rest of the day. Stages 3,4 and 5 went without incident and we were holding our own. We had a big moment on stage 6 coming off some nice clean tarmac onto some dusty gravel covered stuff where the back stepped out and had a bit of a wobble.. luckily managed to hold it and correct it and get away with it... corner was cautioned for the next run through Stage 7 was taken a lot easier until a mini appeared from nowhere and as I hadnt been caught or passed all day I did nt want it to happen on the last stage so I pushed on a bit to keep him away from my rear. End result was the same time as stage 6 and the mini remained behind

We ended the day 33rd overal and 2nd in class and picked up best Novice crew award so happy days all round. Car run reletively fine, Claire in the silly seat was on the ball and I did well not to cause any damage to the car at all. Talbenny stages in 3 weeks so a spanner check is needed and hopfully a box with a slip shall be installed

Thanks

What a day it has been at the Bob Shaw Memorial Talbenny Stages, Full of ups and downs.

Stage 1 was very slippery and I just could not get into it. Returned to service to find we had lost our rear valence along with number plate, fog light and auxillery light and a mud flap. Carried on with no problems.

Stage 2 was much the same, even though we were a fair bit quicker there I was still very untidy and a tempremental handbrake wasn't helping the matter. Stage 3 was a turning point. Even though 1 and 2 didnt feel right we were still 4th in class and 41st overall.

Stage 3 went much better, I felt like I was in the zone .

Change from soft to medium compound tyres on the front for stage 4 as it was drying and warming up and we contiued to climb the leaderboard and close in on 3rd in class.

Stage 5 was interesting as it rained heavily before we went out, slippery wasnt the word, there was no grip and it felt like I was doing rallycross rather than a stage event judging by the amount of time I spent on the grass.

Stage 6 was cancelled before we started as car 1 rolled and blocked the stage.

Before the penultimate stage (7) we found ourselves 11secs off 3rd in class. I set off on a mission to take 3rd and just so happened that I went off the line the car I was hunting was going past the merge to begin his second loop. Through the stage we closed and closed on him and I knew we were taking some time out of him, not 11seconds worth but enough to set us up nicely going into stage 8....however we didnt make it came onto a long straight after a 90right turn, up through the gears, went for third, got a big bang and lots of smoke and no more drive. Game over. Gutted and didnt take any points for the championship. Looks like the crown wheel as parted company with the diff and escaped out of the box as there was oil everywhere under the bonnet and a cheeky piece of cog resting on the sumpguard. Luckily we have a new box ready to go and some new shafts coming so just need to remove and replace. Off from work tomorrow so will investigate tomorrow and see what we find. Joys of rallying

Thanks

Spent all of today pulling the box out. First time I have done it on my own so I am pleased with my days work after following the guide on here.

I knew it wasn't going to be pretty when I found this on the sump guard

After a fair few hours work and some swearing and getting covered in gearbox oil, this is what was left of our gearbox. It looks like the diff has gone bang and gone through casing.

and this is what came out of it

On top of that it looks like there has been some damage been done to the clutch plate and the face of the flywheel. Need to check the teeth on the flywheel and have a proper look at the clutch to see if any damage has been caused

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

oh shizz, musta bin a cheesy grin moment rite b4 that happened

Thanks

Well nothing has happened with the car as of yet. Its still sitting there in a sorry state missing its gearbox. Clutch pressure plate is ruined along with all the bolts so a new one is required, may replace the clutch as well just to be on the safe side. With a little luck it ll be back together by the end of next week and I can then do some road milage to test it and make sure everything is as it should be.

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Hi,i think you would really benefit from a diff mate. Ive just bought a 205 1600 with a be3 with a 4.4 atb and the traction and gearing is spot on for the lanes. Im a escort man at heart,so am fairly new to 205s,but im loving them already ps good thread

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jon jkd View Post
    Hi,i think you would really benefit from a diff mate. Ive just bought a 205 1600 with a be3 with a 4.4 atb and the traction and gearing is spot on for the lanes. Im a escort man at heart,so am fairly new to 205s,but im loving them already ps good thread
    Cheers

I drove a friends mk3 Astra redtop on an autotest at the weekend. He has a Quaife atb and it was an eye opener. It fights you all the time so the little pug without power steering is going to be a handful once done

Thanks

Good news at last. Its all back up and running as of last night. We did have a little mis hap along the way where the hockey stick bolts were "forgotton" about so it allowed the shaft to move and pop out so we lost drive and box oil after 3 miles

All sorted this morning though, topped box back up with oil and completed a 6 mile test on the Black Mountain behind the house and a tidy pace and no problems were reported. Car feels very good and seems to go a fair bit quicker and smoother.

Few niggles need to be sorted, new linkages wouldnt go a miss and the clutch needs adjusting properly then sort out a new rear valence and it'll be ready to go again

Thanks

All the niggly little problems have been ironed out now. Done about 80 miles worth of testing on the Black Mountain ( yes officer, it is my private test track ) and all is well. Next round of the Welsh Tarmac Championship is Sunday the 24th of June and we're seeded car 46. Be interesting getting used to the car with the LSD installed but will hopefully get to grips with it pretty sharpish as I have a 2.0 Darrien T90 seeded behind me

Thanks

Did Caerwent yesterday.. not a good day, second DNF in a row.

Brief summery. Stage 1 was awful, felt like I couldnt drive and nearly rolled the car and then hit the front end breaking a headlight, bumper and bending the wing.

Stage 2 was wet after a shower so we went out on wet tyres which just didnt work for some reason.. car was everywhere with no grip on the fron and im really suprised how we got round.

Stage 3 we went back to some yoko 48's which were amazing. Instantly more grip and just got better as the stage went on. Driving much neater and cleaner and thought our day was going to turn for the better..however it didnt. Came out of a right hander into a fast right which was quite open so decided to hold it flat, rear end just stepped out a little and touched the grass, car then went into a full slide which i tried to hold but in traditional 205 ways it snapped the other way which i then tried to hold before it spun off the road and over a kerb ( again lucky not to roll ) and then came to a stop on the grass. Car then refused to start and just made a horrible noise. Looks like either the starter is not sitting right on the ring gear or the ring gear itself is damaged.

So need to fix the damage and sort out whatever the problem is with the starting. It does now start but makes a horrible noise in the process.. so busy times ahead before Brwady on 8th July.

+ Reply to Thread