User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Road Rally 205 GTi

Thanks

Road Rally 205 GTi

I have had a read of a few projects on here so though I would start my own.
    It all started when me and my other half deceided that we would fancy having a go at rallying. I knew that road rallies are popular in our area and is probably the cheapest and easiest way to get into the sport so we deceided that would be our path. We went to Finland in July to watch the Finish round of the WRC and started our search for a car when we came back.
    The original plan was for a Saxo vtr or 106, so we went to a garage to see about a Saxo and got talking to the sales man and it turned out that he used to do a bit of road rallying in the past, what happened next was amazing. He told us to forget about a Saxo and buy a 1.9 205 GTi, so he talked himself out of a possible sale and gave us some great advice, dont get that from many salesmen eh??
    So thats what we did. In august we put an offer in on ebay for a Gti and got it. We travelled from sunny Wales to Poole and brought it home. Tax and Mot for £800. It needed a little bit of work but was perfect for what we wanted it for, It was pretty solid and even though its over 150k on the clock it still goes and sounds great.
    So far its had a new airflow meter, track control arm each side, sorted rust on bottom of the rear quater, stuck on a Green cotton induction kit, sportex exhaust from the manifold back and group N engine mounts. We also serviced him so he runs pretty well now. Oh and currently has one white wheel that we ve refurbed. We have 9 wheels altogether which will be going white soon. So here is Pugsley as he stands at the moment

In the new year it'll be set up as its a bit rich at the moment, also a knocking from the rear which will hopefully go away when it gets new suspensipon all round too, failing that it could well be a new beam time. Also there'll be a cage on order and these will go in at the same time.

Seats were had off ebay for a steal and their virtually like new, TRS 4 point harnesses from Peter LLoyd Rallying.
    So there we are for now. More updates in the new year
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
    Arwel + Claire.

Bodger

Thanks

Re: Road Rally 205 GTi

Nice looking car mate,hope to see it in the lanes soon

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

just a little thought for you before you spray all the wheels white.if you are thinking of road rallying,maybe consider 14inch or even 13 wheels instead,will give you a better gear ratio in the tight lanes, also very hard to find low profile part worn 15inch tyres(chunkies) as anything over 185/60/15 will not fit under the front strut. i drive a pug 309 i am currently on 15s but soon changing to 14s. (although i do hear 14s ar hard to come by too.lol) hope this helps. good luck wit the rallying

Thanks

Cheers for the advice. Not decided what to do on the tyre front yet. Was given a bit of adivce about using full winter tyres the other day. Plenty of options to weigh up I think.

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

good stuff, its should be a great car to road rally in 205's are certainly very very effective in circuit racing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by graham bahr View Post
    good stuff, its should be a great car to road rally in 205's are certainly very very effective in circuit racing
    Yeah, they seem to be very popular in the road rally world, especially down here.

Thanks

Picked up another gearbox over the weekend. Its another 1.9 BE3 box. Gearbox thats in Pugsley now is fine, just a bit of crunching when seleting 3rd and 4th gear. Im thinking syncro's are on the way out so picked up this new box which doesnt have any issues for £60.
    Was tempted with a 1.6 box for closer ratio's but after a lot of reading the difference wasn't really that much so stuck with what we have now.

Thanks

Power boost valve turned up Friday after ordering it from Peter Lloyd Rallying on Wednseday afternoon. Quality delivery service.

Get that fitted soon then its off to Tommies in Bridgend on the 1st Feb for some tweaking

Thanks

Spent the morning up in Abercynon today at Willfield motors aka Tommies. He fitted the power boost valve then ran the car on the rollers. He made some tweaks to the idle speed, the air/fuel mixture and tweaked the ignition timing. Did another 2 runs and some minor adjustment untill we were all happy. So a 20year old car with 157,000 miles on the clock achived an impressive 119bhp. Engine is nice and solid and healthy too. Cost me £95 altogether which isnt bad considering the time that was spent adjusting things and time on the rollers.
    Pugsley is now much more smoother and more responsive to drive. Here's a cheeky pic from today.

Picked up some second hand fuel tank guards Sunday too. Dont look pretty but they'll do the job, so thats another item off the shopping list.
    Next up is a visit to Longlife for the exhaust to be made a bit quieter as at the moment I doubt it would get through scrutineering. MOT is also booked in for the 19th but before then we'll hopefully have new suspension and some subframes for the Cobra's and also an out side chance of a cage.

Bodger

Thanks

just a comment about the exhaust, you mention taking it to longlife, are they making a full system for you?

I'm just thinking you might be better sticking with a standard system and just replacing it fairly cheaply if it gets damaged on the lanes.

The standard exhaust on 205's is known to be very good and after market systems often loose power.

Thanks

It's already got a full Sportex exhaust system on it. Only problem is that it's too loud and wont pass scruteneering so its having a larger centre silencer fitted which should cure the problem. Power isnt that important really, just want a fun little car that we can use on night events.

Thanks

So today was MOT day for little Pugsley and I had a slight doubt in my mind purely as he's over 20years old with 157,000 on the clock.

No need to worry though, went through after being issued a fail sheet for loose windscreen wiper blades which is a bit harsh. But once they were slotted into place it sailed through. No advisories at all. happy days.

Added bonus of the day is that these turned up

They will be fitted once the matching front struts and gravel springs are ordered so they can all go on together. Also the seats are now in the car and so will the harnesses soon. Pics of them to come once all fitted nicely.

Thanks

Here we are as promised. Seats and harnesses in place, feels much better to drive now, actually feel as if im in the car rather than sitting on it.

Front struts and gravel srpings next month and maybe...just maybe a cage.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Really nice clean car you've got mate

Hopefully you will get out on an event soon, anything planned ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by david tait View Post
    Really nice clean car you've got mate

Hopefully you will get out on an event soon, anything planned ?
    Cheers ,

Not got any event planned at the moment. We'll hopefully have the car done by end of May start of June so what ever night event is on around that time we'll throw in an entry and give it a go.

Thanks

Well its been a little while since my last update..but me and misses have been busy adding to our collection of parts and making some progress with Pugsley.

Firstly we managed to get hold of some gravel tyres. We got 4 Dunlop tyres, 2 with 9mm tread left and 2 with 5mm tread left so there's plenty of life in them for the lanes. Best bit is we paid £60 for all 4 of them, result.
    More tyres meant we needed some more wheels, so another 2 were purchased via ebay again for £20 for the pair. They are a bit tatty and have a nice spodge of red on them but they'll get blasted and then painted white along with the others. So we now have 11 wheels. 4 road wheels and a spare and we'll have 4 rally wheels with 2 spares. Claire, the misses, is doing the painting as Im no good at it and we currently have 3 wheels done in white.

Another purchase was a fuel tank guard. It looked a bit rough but a bit of sanding.... a fair bit of sanding actually and some paint and it turned out pretty good considering it only cost us £20. That'll be fitted at a later date.

Last week we both had a week off and the aim was to re paint the boot as it looked pretty bad and there was a small rust scab starting to form. So we got that done through the week and we decided we that the gray plastic trims were making the car look older than it really is so we decided we would give them a coat of matt black. Pics are below, so compare them to the pics at the start of the thread it looks like a different car, amazing the difference a bit of matt black does.

Next was the front struts to go with the rears so another visit to ebay and these turned up

The springs in the picture are gravel springs that were ordered from Peter Lloyd Rallying. So once all the suspension is fitted it should feel like a different car too. The final new toy that arrived was also order from Peter Lloyd on Tuesday. I was told it would take 2-3 weeks as it was out of stock... Next day this was waiting for me.

I finally got my hands on a cage, after several nearly 2nd hand buys we decided to bite the bullet and order a new one.

So there we are, all upto date. Once everything is fitted there wont be much work left to do untill its ready for competiton but it's looking like August is a realistic month for it to be ready for competition so roll on.

Thanks

Time for another update and its a good one.

Car has spent most of last week over at CAM Sport. Their a local company who mainly deal with rally prep but can do pretty much anything. So it now has the Billies fitted all around as well as the gravel springs and of course the cage is in. So here are a couple of pics.

It feels 100% better. The shocks that came off the rear were completely dead. I can compress them by hand and then they have to be pulled back out so that seems to explain the noise i used to get on the rear when going over bumps, touch wood, but it seems to have sorted it.

So had a little shakedown yesterday on the Black Mountain and it went well.....apart from snapping one of the handbrake cables whilst attmepting a bit of a slide.
    Get that sorted this week then there's not a lot left before its ready for the lanes.
    Spots, sump guard, nav lights, and a few other bits and bobs and were done.

Thanks

Not had an update for a while as not a lot has been happening, just bits and bobs here and there. It had a new rear box fitted on Monday as it was too loud for noise regulations, no pics as it looks the same really. It should be going in to CAM Sport again next week for wiring to be done for the spots and a couple of other things and we have put in an entry for the Kidwelly Novice road rally on 21st of August which will be our first event if we get in.

Thanks

So for the last 5 days the car has been in having some wiring done. So we had it back Friday but havent had a chance untill today to do some work on it.

We have an entry for our fierst event on 21st of August so we have been busy. We fitted new tyres, padded up the roll cage and fitted the spots and a few other things around the car. Few jobs left now before the 21st like fit the sump and fuel tank guards and sort out a spare wheel holder.

So here are some pics of how it stands now.. ignore the lack of number plate.. it sort of broke as it was a bit old.. so new plates needed too.

Thanks

Well we made our Rallying debut on Saturday night. It was a good event overall, well organised and a very good route. We had a slight hickup with the plotting.. by this i mean we didnt finish it all and had to finish it at the half way point which meant we couldnt make up any lost time.

Anyway, we did really well for our first event. We finished a credable 35th Overall out of 60 starters and 6th in our class. We can take a load of positives from the event and we know where we can improve for the next one. The main aim was to get around the route and get a result and keep the car in one piece. We did both so it was a succesfull event. The only slightly dissapointing thing was that at the half way halt we were 3rd in class but due to not being able to make up time as we had to finish plotting, we had to cut some route in order to stay within our maximum lateness. This cost us as we picked up 17 fails in the second half compared to just the 1 in the first half.

Next up for the car is a change of gearbox with new clutch and a few small changes in time for the next event.

Pit Crew Decade Plus User GavinR's Avatar
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Well done on your first event, nice looking car you've got there
    GavinR

http://www.turbosport.co.uk/signaturepics/sigpic2999_8.gif

Thanks

Nothing has really been happening since the last rally untill a few weeks ago. We've put an entry in for our next road rally which is the Mel Harries Memorial that is run by Ammanford Motor club so is very local to us. We've got 8 1.6 gti wheels now so need to source some gravel tyres now to fit on them. Before the event I plan on changing the rear discs and pads and some better brake fluid and some braided hoses. So more updates in the coming weeks.

Thanks

Another update time. We've got an entry into our next road rally which is the Mel Harries Memorial run by Ammanford motor club so its as bout as local as it gets for us. Few minor changes to the car before the event next saturday..if it runs as there's a fair dusting of snow and compacted ice around the area. We fitted some 14" `1.6 gti wheels with chunky forestry tyres. 2 are new Yokohama AO35's and 2 are Dunlop sp85's. Now I say we, I mean the mrs as I put my back out after taking the 1st road wheel off .Its going in to CAM Sport again tomorow for some new rear discs and pads to be fitted, new brake fluid which is being changed to motul rbf 600 and some Goodridge braided brake lines. So after Monday it should be ready for next weekend. 2 quick pickes below.

Racer Decade Plus User alancdavis's Avatar

Thanks

Glad to see your lass getting trained up
    Big Wing sold and gone to be a film star

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

cool nice one

Thanks

Pugsley has now been finished by the boys in CAM Sport. New rear discs and pads, braided hoses and some new motul rbf 600 fluid. Also needed a new caliper as the bleed nipple broke off and there was no chance of getting it out. So all ready for the event on Saturday and it was postponed yesterday afternoon due to the weather conditions. It'll run now on January 8th so no further events untill then apart from a little scatter rally that our motor club will put on later this month. So not sure of any changes to the car yet apart from a service so we'll wait and see.

Thanks

Another rally done Saturday night. We did the Mel Harries Memorial run by Ammanford Motor Club. A really good event with challenging roads all night. We finished 8th in class but as we were in class 3 and did less milage than class 1 then we didnt count in overall results. But based on time dropped and fails picked up then we would have finished 31st overall from 70 starters, so a very good result for our second rally.

The car was almost faultless, it picked up a missfire twice which brought us to a halt. Both times after a sharp right turn and up a hill so Im wondering if it was some kind of problem with the pump not pumping fuel through due to the fuel swishing around the tank... will have to investigate. We did lose our rear numberplate and picked up some damage to the rear valance and squashed the tow eye, not sure what we hit though

Next event next month so we got some work to do before then.

Thanks

Hows it going mate, now i know lol... Was a good event. enjoyed marshaling,

I think 205 s suffer with fuel surge, how much was in it?
    My 106 is like like that on 1/4 tank
    Last edited by waynemk2; 10-01-2011 at 18:59.

My 1st Project
    Thanks

My old 205 gti race car had fuel surge if the tank went under half full as the tank is a like a saddle and it ran A048 . i never did get round to sorting it i just kept it over half full which is not great but ran fine like that. you can buy foam balls that you can put in the tank from Demon tweeks

Thanks

There was around 1/2 - 3/4 of a tank in it when it did it..Strange though as soon as its switched off and back on its fine. I'll have a look into these foam balls.. cheers.

Hi Wayne.. had a good night saturday too.. Liking the Escort aswel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by northeee View Post
    My old 205 gti race car had fuel surge if the tank went under half full as the tank is a like a saddle and it ran A048 . i never did get round to sorting it i just kept it over half full which is not great but ran fine like that. you can buy foam balls that you can put in the tank from Demon tweeks
    I would echo the above, I ran a road rally spec 1.9 gti and had to keep it half full or it suffered with the exact same problem.

Thanks

Not looked into the miss fire yet but its fine under normal driving so I think I ll have to go have a play on the Black Mountain to see if something appears then.

Anyway, Day off yesterday so we decided to change the oil and filter and fit the new rear valance. Few more things to sort out before the next event in february but it should be fine.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Arwel For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Did the Bro Peseli road rally on saturday night and it was a mixed night. We were on the ball all night. Dropped very little time and picked up no fails then the engine died at a control and it was game over. Worst thing is that at that point it looks like we were leading class 2 or at least in the top 3. I was gutted and so was the mrs. Everything was perfect untill the car gave up.

Our mate towed us home and had a look over the car this morning and seems to think that due to a low idle speed and extra load on the battery ( spots, main beam, rad fan, blowers etc..) that it dropped the voltage of the battery below the point of being able to re start the car. I couldnt bump start it last night either due to not being able to move the car out as there were other cars coming into the control and by the time it was clear we were OTL and it was game ove

Thanks

Competed on the Welsh Dragon Tyres road rally last night run by Gwendraeth Valley Motor Club. Very interesting night, tricky technical first half which I felt didnt really go that well especially when i cut a 90 left and put the car on 2 wheels and nearly put it on its roof. Got awat with it but not without causing damage to the front valance and bending the wing, oh dear.
    Second half was much more fast flowing roads which I like and went really well. A few rough whites along the way and very slippy but added to the fun.

Ended the night 4th in class and 19th Overall and picked up a pot for mixed crew. Not bad for only our 4th rally. We now have a fair bit of work to do now to straighten it out but we're not planning on doing another night event untill July now.

Here are some before and after pics.

Before

After

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

cool, you have been busy

Thanks

Oh yes Graham we've been very busy. The car is currently in the garage with its front end missing after stripping it down to see what's broken. Good news is the bumper and valance can go back on with a few extra bolts and the wing has been straightend out. Basically it needs a good clean as there is mud everywhere on it after saturday night and then it can go back together ready for the next one.

Thanks

Well the wing has been saved. Just need to clean all the mud off it now and put it back together. Quick pick of it looking a little sorry for itself.

Thanks

glad to hear its sorted mate,

Thanks

Well he's all back together now and up and running again. A few more little adjustments needed here and there and a damn good wash under the arches and underneath and it'll be ready for the next one.

Last edited by Arwel; 18-04-2011 at 18:12.

Thanks

Here's a quick couple of pics from the Morswyn Williams Memorial Road Rally. 40th overall and 19th in class. Not the best result but another finish once again.
    Next rally is the Sarn Helen on 5th/6th November run by Lampeter and District and is the last round of this years Welsh Road Rally Championship so should be a fantastic event. After that then is sunroof out so we can get it log booked and then Christmas Stages down Pembrey in December...hopefully.

Thanks to Alix Jones and Ceri Yates for the photo's.

+ Reply to Thread