User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cam recommendation for a road race motor.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Question Cam recommendation for a road race motor.

I'm in the US, and building a Duratec for a Pro-Challenge Mustang road racer.
    It's a tube-frame RWD car, running a T5 trans and a Winters quick change rearend, with a race weight around 1900-2000 pounds with driver.

I called Crane Cams yesterday to ask for cam recommendations, and it seems they have discontinued supporting the Duratec.

I wonder if anyone could recommend cams and valvetrain for my build.

The block is a Ranger 2.3, with a modified Forged Ecoboost crank, Molnar Technologies forged rods, and Wiseco 12.5:1 forged pistons.
    Oiling is via a Raceline internal dry sump, with a Concept Racing 1.5 gallon tank, remote filter and cooler.

The head is from a Duratec 2.5, casting # RF8E5E from a 2010 Ford Fusion, and I have modified the oiling system to eliminate the VCT and feed the front intake cam journal from the main oil feed instead of through the VVT system.
    The head will be fully ported, with 1mm oversize intake and exhaust valves.

Intakes will be 50mm ITB's, and due to space limitations in the chassis, we're designing a billet intake that will place the throttles as close to the port as possible, and angled up approximately 45 degrees or so.
    I plan to fabricate an airbox over the airhorns, and duct cool air from a remote filter behind the grille.

I'm aiming for peak power to be around 8,000 - 8,500 rpm, with a redline of 9,000, and would like to see over 300HP if possible.

I see cams from Kent Cams, and Cat Cams, but don't know much about either company.
    I do like the Kent Cams design, which comes with an adjustable sprocket as standard, and gets rid of the single bolt/friction washer setup, but I need to make sure they offer them in 38 tooth to match my oil pump and crank gears, and chains.

Anyone with experience, I'd really appreciate your input.

Thanks,
    David

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Re: Cam recommendation for a road race motor.

Yesterday I called Kent Cams, and spoke to Del.
    He was very helpful, and based on what I told him about my setup and application, he recommended their D-TEC 80 cams, double valve springs, and titanium retainers.

I asked about whether the higher lift of their 2.5 grinds would provide a wider power band, and he said the longer duration of the 80 cams would work better at the higher RPM I plan to run, and would also be easier on the valve springs.

I told him I'd be back in touch to place an order as soon as we have flow numbers on the ported head.
    I'm anxious to see how the 2.5 head flows. Those intake ports look huge compared to the 2.0/2.3 head.

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

Del has been at kent forever, i used to talk to him about cams 30 years ago!

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

Give Paul Gardner Racing Engines a call on 01524 791507. Paul's Rally spec 2.5 Duratecs are similar to what you have in your engine so he would be able to give you some sound advice and maybe even supply you with a pair of cams.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Forest_rallying For This Useful Post:

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Forest_rallying View Post
    Give Paul Gardner Racing Engines a call on 01524 791507. Paul's Rally spec 2.5 Duratecs are similar to what you have in your engine so he would be able to give you some sound advice and maybe even supply you with a pair of cams.
    Thanks, I'll give him a call.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

That sounds like an interesting engine build!

Got any pictures?

Be good to to see the final results

Bodger

Thanks

They offered you an off the shelf grind for your specialized application in a motor that wasnt a small block chevy? Lol. Find a real cam company. Looks like webbcam will do hard weld on a factory core and grind it to whatever you want or work with you to design a cam. They list MZR hardweld at the cost of $842, no duratec listed so just tell em you have an mzr, same thing.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Leafy For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread