User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chassis repair advice

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Chassis repair advice

I'm in the process of trying to get the capri back to a running state and have some repairs to do on the chassis.

Around the spring hanger has some holes, it looks like some have been patch from the inside and the hole filled was filled with underseal but some need fixing.

I know you can get repair panels but how do you hold the car up? currently its on axle stands under the rear axle and i cant see another suitable place for the stands. All the threads on repairs have been on a roll over spit, but i don't have that much to do an it would mean emptying the car to make it light enough.
    I've also got some strut strengthening plates, from the factory i think these are spot welded on, do you drill some holes and plug weld these, run a bead around the edge or both?

Any advice welcome..

Mechanic

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Re: Chassis repair advice

Hi, did you get this sorted ? Happy to bat the problem around if you’re still not sorted.

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Not sorted yet, change of plan with the car ment taking out the old engine loom. Which led me to find a hole under the wing. Looks more likley to be easier to throw on a spit and just go through the car.

World Champion Decade Plus User alladdin's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

to original question - i would drive rear onto car ramps - or jack up on a large trolley jack - and slide some small ramps with wood block on top in from sides just in front of rear wheels. you can then remove axle and springs.

+ Reply to Thread