User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Duratec conrods

Pole Position Decade Plus User freddy686868's Avatar

Thanks

Re: Duratec conrods

Quote Originally Posted by Deltona View Post
    You'd make a good politician, not only do you openly tell lies, but when confronted you just change the subject.
    For the umpteenth time, you're fitting Chinese rods if you use PEC, ZRP, Manley etc, so you're no better than anyone else.
    like a good politician he's got at scaremongering too. he needs to spend less time on the internet and more time in the real world with real people.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Let’s all take a look at that quality build with the engine that’s always on the limiter lol! What’s boooring is that not a single person so far is willing to produce any engineering evidence that these cheapo rods are any better than std ones yet alone proper steel rods. Sorry but from watching your vids your oddly built car isn’t on the 8200 limiter all the time at all, it’s mostly broken or in the tyre wall. Ps, have you sussed that sliding calipers need flexi hoses yet ?
    Last edited by Erikmex; 12-09-2018 at 20:31.

Bodger

Thanks

Found this thread while looking at alternative rods for my Pinto. I hope I'm not stirring up the hornet's nest again, but I see ARP don't list Maxpeeding (or any Chinese rods) on their website. Mind you, they don't list the likes of Farndon either, so that's probably not saying much.

https://www.arp-bolts.com/p/rodmanufacturers.php

I wish PEC would be more definitive about the origin of their rods too.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

They are, they are made from certified Swedish En steel that has an audit trail. If you contact them they can porvide the info, i think its on theor site too (PEc).

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Bodger

Thanks

Yep, I see they state their rods are made from Swedish steel, but no mention whether they are forged in China, machined in the UK or China, or a combination of both. Some US manufacturers have discussed how they (amongst other things) undertake final finishing to ensure they achieve their quality aims. I find this level of openess a virtue, and I'm quite comfortable with that production process given my end use. I haven't read anything on PEC's website to indicate they do any machining themselves. I'm not saying this is a bad thing; only that statements like "PEC began designing its own range of connecting rods in large enough numbers to keep manufacturing costs sensible while not sacrificing quality" are subject to interpretation. I expect I will write to them to try and clarify the situation, as I need a little more technical info about their products anyway.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Theyre made in Germany, however, the issue is not in the machining anyway, its the material, ive been involved in many equipment failure route cause analysis investigations in the marine industry where we have found issues with fatigue failures due to Chinese steel, some that have even had Lloyds register stamps faked.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Erikmex View Post
    Theyre made in Germany, however, the issue is not in the machining anyway, its the material, ive been involved in many equipment failure route cause analysis investigations in the marine industry where we have found issues with fatigue failures due to Chinese steel, some that have even had Lloyds register stamps faked.
    Did you read what Flighter wrote? The material could well be Swedish - that could be taken to China for forging (expensive but not implausible) and then imported back to Germany for Boring, drilling and honing. Chinese QA is notorious for how poor it can be so this process as described could obviate that. Now you could legitimately call them Chinese or German made - they've both had a part in the process.

For all the horror stories around about the Maxspeeding rods I've yet to see any ACTUAL evidence of a failed Maxspeeding rod through material or workmanship - its usually through oil supply failure - as with most rods.
    I've got a doorstop Carillo rod here - comprehensive failure, that took out a 10k engine - oil failure destroyed bearing, BE overheated to the point it friction welded itself to the crankshaft and BOOM! Just saying it can happen to any GOOD rod and well as apparently BAD rods!

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Most rods ive seen fail are tensile stress failures around the small end, generally from high revs to sudden throttle lift off moments causing the rod forces to suddenly change from a compressesive to tensile force, effectievly shock loading the rod, bolt failures are more common and there is plenty online about the rods being supplied with fake ARP's, it doesnt really matter where they are manufcatured, the fact being that like anything the cost is often in the QC side of things, genrally when something is cheap in the engineering world its because its skipped the costly testing and QC processes and procedures, the only real way to tell is to detructive test them side by side and come up with exact fatigue / stress limits. A decent rod manufacturer will be able to provide you with this info.

As i said many times before, if you were building an engine to a spec that required steel rods why would you skimp to save a few 100 £'s when there are tried and tested parts out there, if i were building say a 5-£15k engine, i certainly wouldnt be risking detroying my engine for the sake of £400, the reality is that there probably isnt even enough of the Chinese rods being used to the correct stress levels to consider as a valid test. Its kinda like buying a big fancy set of Alcon calipers and putting some cheapo pads in them.
    Last edited by Erikmex; 23-06-2019 at 12:32.

Bodger

Thanks

I guess selling £1,000 worth of parts isn't what it used to be. I contacted PEC with what I thought was a pretty simple question about Wossner pistons (and asked about their rods while I was at it), but got no response. Then wrote to Wossner directly about it with the same result. Neither are winning any service awards at the moment, so maybe it will be Farndon and Accralite for me afterall.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

I buy mine through Vulcan Engineering,

Bodger

Thanks

Credit where it is due - Wossner did reply a few days ago.

Racer Decade Plus User wildo105e's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Duratec conrods

What did they say ? If not private.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bodger

Thanks

I needed to know how much I could safely mill off their flat-topped Pinto pistons, as the compression is too high for my intended application. It's less than I was hoping, at only 1mm, but understandable given nobody wants unnecessary weight in a piston.

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Erikmex View Post
    Let’s all take a look at that quality build with the engine that’s always on the limiter lol! What’s boooring is that not a single person so far is willing to produce any engineering evidence that these cheapo rods are any better than std ones yet alone proper steel rods. Sorry but from watching your vids your oddly built car isn’t on the 8200 limiter all the time at all, it’s mostly broken or in the tyre wall. Ps, have you sussed that sliding calipers need flexi hoses yet ?
    Upset much. there have been some temp fixes put in place on the car that i haven't got round to fixing quick enough but hey ho. Also you mean mostly broken and always in the tyre wall. regardless the car is used hard there is no denying that. Coupled with the crap rod angle of the engine due to ford throwing a bigger crank in a 2l engine with the same length rods that puts more stress on them when rev'd that hard and them rods are proven by lots of people. I don't understand why you are slating them with out any engineering proof of the rods strength. Surely that makes you just as bad as the people saying they are just as good as any other rod on the market. The only difference between you and all the other people (who in your eyes are all wrong) is that there are several usages of the rods and not one failure that can be found. But according to you there should be mass failure BUT that is due to your lack of knowledge/first hand experience of these rods. have you even had one in your hands? Haven't you sussed that your wrong yet?

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Yaaawn, i havent seen them used / proved by anyone in a decent engine yet. I dont reallt care to have first hand experience of Chinese rods thanks, an engine of the spec that requires steel rods in the first wouldnt have them if built by me or any reputable builder i know, i tend to take the advice of the respected engine builders.
    Last edited by Erikmex; 08-08-2019 at 14:07.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

For what its worth, I have maxpeeding rods in my pinto running 20lbs of boost and an 8k rev limiter, so far so good.

Thanks

Duratec conrods

I really dont mean to stir up any arguments but have we had a maxspeeding rod failure yet, i need pistons and rods soon.

Are the sub £400 manley rods any good?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 5tox; 09-08-2019 at 17:35.

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 5tox View Post
    I really dont mean to stir up any arguments but have we had a maxspeeding rod failure yet, i need pistons and rods soon.

Whats the next good available sub £400 option?

there isnt really, if you can spend £400 you might as well spend £800 and buy something uk made and known quality

Thanks

Duratec conrods

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    there isnt really, if you can spend £400 you might as well spend £800 and buy something uk made and known quality
    Cheers Graham

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

most (not all) of the engines i build either use standard rods, or i have steel rods made, so me its worth the extra knowing both exactly what im getting, but also because they are being made for me i can get them in whatever length/size i require at no extra cost

+ Reply to Thread