User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Setting timing on xflow

Bodger

Thanks

Setting timing on xflow

Can someone just give the the simple steps on how to do this properly...im having a mare ...i set the static timing to tdc with rockers rocking on piston one then when the car is running i turn the dizzy to 8 degrees btdc...the car seems to run ok but then next time i run it its lumpy and misfiring...what am i doing wrong?

Thanks

Re: Setting timing on xflow

What ignition system do you have points or electronic ?. Your basic logic doesn't sound correct to me, I would get the rocker arms rocking on number 4, the engine is then ready to fire on number 1. Set the crank to 8 degrees BTDC and set the dizzy so that a) the rotor arm is pointing to no 1 lead on the cap and b) the points are just opening, then start up.

Next, you need to run the engine at about 4000 rpm and swing the dizzy so that you get maximum advance you want, probably about 32 degrees, then recheck at idle where you should have about 10 to 12 degrees before TDC. You will need an adjustable timing light to do this.

Bodger

Thanks

Im running an accuspark electronic ignition....do you mean number 4 as the piston nearest the bulk head

Ive been setting it to tdc with the rockers rockibg on the piston nearest the radiator
    Last edited by Mk2esccy; 18-08-2018 at 13:21.

Thanks

Number 1 cylinder is at the front.
    You can set it using number 4 cylinder as you are doing it. You can't be doing too much wrong if it runs.
    Just need to swing the dizzy about to get it to run smoother.

Bodger

Thanks

Got it running...no idea what was wrong because i timed it the same way i did it first time and its running....ive set it to 8 degrees btdc and it idles at 1000rpm....ive also noticed ive got heat at the back of the heater motor but its not coming through warm from the vents so god knows what that means

+ Reply to Thread