User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fully/Semi Floating Atlas Axle

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Fully/Semi Floating Atlas Axle

Could someone please tell me what is the difference in a semi floating atlas and a fully floating atlas axle?

Thanks

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Re: Fully/Semi Floating Atlas Axle

Anyone??

Bodger

Thanks

Re: Fully/Semi Floating Atlas Axle

We're just changing our semi-floating atlas to a fully floating one, so I'll have a go! I'm unlikely to get all the terminology correct!!

On a normal axle, the halfshaft and flange is inseparable, with a bearing pressed onto the halfshaft.

A semi-floating axle uses exactly the same casing, but uses a group 1 halfshaft (thicker), again with a bearing pressed onto the halfshaft, and has a separate splined flange which pushes onto the splines at the outer end of the group 1 halfshaft, and is held on with a big nut.

A fully floating axle has the ends of the tubes altered, and a bearing/flange assembly fitted (usually with twin taper bearings) . A group 4 halfshaft is then fitted. With this set up, the halfshaft acts only as a drive shaft, and doesn't get any of the forces associated with cornering etc.

You can fit wheels to a fully floating axle without the halfshaft fitted, on a semi-floating axle, the halfshaft has to be fitted for you to fit the wheel - I hope this explains how the halfshaft on a fully floating set up is isolated from holding the wheel on.

The axle that we are fitting is an older type, with only a single bearing assembly - but the principle is the same.

I've just read what I've written, I hope you can make sense of it - I'm not sure I can.

Phil

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 360phil For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread