User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pre xflow sump pan

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

pre xflow sump pan

Hi
    I've just taken the sump pan off my 1500 pre xflow as there was a terrible rattle coming from it and discovered that the oil pick up had been banging against a baffle and had broken the baffle, hence the noise.
    What I cant quite tell is if the baffle is a later addition or has always been there.So, I was wondering whether anyone here knows if a 1500gt pre x flow sump pan on a 120e block would have come with a baffle originally or not? As I'm running just a standard road car I am happy to go back to whatever was standard spec.
    Many thanks
    Will

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: pre xflow sump pan

Yes the correct sumps runs a single baffle - it runs across the sump from left hand side of the engine to right hand side and is curved to go around the pickup pipe.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

many thanks. will fab something up. cheers. Will

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Hi, if I want to get a replacement pan, which other blocks used the same pan as my 120E pre x block? Mine has the bowl at the front. Is it the same as the later x flow for instance? cheers. Will

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Any car that used a front bowl sump with a 1500 engine and was made before the production of the mk2 cortina in 1966 will use the same sump.
    Xflows never used a rope seal sump (ie what you have).

The bolt holes on a rope seal sump are mostly similar to a xflow sump except for the two rear ones that bolt to the rope seal carrier at the back of the engine.
    Last edited by HonkyWhiteTrash; 20-08-2018 at 17:35.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Hi
    Would anyone be able to give me a quick "total muppets" guide to gaskets/seals on a pre x flow sump please?

My idiotic thoughts so far....obviously the two cork gaskets go down faces of the two longs sides of the sump, do I then use the rubber seal in the groove of the front cover and use the rope gasket at the rear end of the sump?

Or... do the rope seals go at the front and the back of teh sump? also, do you just use one rope seal which you place in the groove in the sump pan or do you also have to insert another one above into the "block side" (for want of a better term).
    If some kind soul could give instructions that a three year old colud follow that would probably be the right sort of level...
    Many thanks.

Mechanic

Thanks

We need a picture in this thread, think you are mixing up rope seals and rubbers seals ?

Thanks

Hi Will, You should have a pair of semi-circular rope seals, one of which fits into the rear of the sump and the other into the alloy housing bolted to the rear face of the cylinder block (between the flywheel and block), the rubber seal is fitted to the groove in the front cover. As you suspect, the two long cork gaskets are fitted to the sump face of the block. The sump is then bolted on using the two long bolts at the rear. Be aware that there can be two different lengths for the remaining 'short' bolts as some of the block holes are blind.
    Cheers, Brian.

+ Reply to Thread