User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: land rover disco stereo!

Thanks

land rover disco stereo!

just bought a v reg disco 2. has a 6 cd changer and tape player head unit but doesnt make any sound.

seems to pick up stations, cds no problem. just doesnt make any bloody sound.

dya reckon its a wiring fault or a problem with the head unit?

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Re: land rover disco stereo!

What connections do you have at the head unit ?
    You can take a 9v (pp3) type battery and do a "pop" test on the speaker wires. Basically put the live and earth to each speaker pair and listen for a popping.

Some have amps fitted if you post a pic of the radio leads i might be able to tell, some amped units have decals on the speaker covers.

Have you checked that there are speakers fitted ? Some people take upgrades out if selling the car ?

Thanks

Savvi - are you on this planet for real???

The last person I heard of doing the "pop test" with a 9v battery was seen crouched in the driver's doorway covered in airbag dust when they managed to "pop test" the wrong wires.
    That was an expensive 9v battery - ALL airbags in a Vectra deployed, the car was written off because of the cost of replacing every airbag, steering wheel, dash, seats, and roof lining/trims.

Has someone fitted a "mute lead" to the stereo for a mobile phone kit? If so the mute relay may have died, or the mute input might be stuck.

Take the stereo out and have a look at what's in there. You might be lucky and it's an ISO stereo with the speaker socket fallen out. Or it's a BMW Round-Pin job and something else is up.

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

I still do it with no problems you know what wires are radio wires, i'd like to know what wires he was testing, theres no airbag wires at the head unit that i know of ?

+ Reply to Thread