User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help...New water pump noisy!

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Help...New water pump noisy!

Hey guys,
    I finally got the time to change the water pump on my 1972 mk3 Cortina, had a small leak, pretty sure it was just the gasket but brought a nice shiney new pump from Burton Power with gasket, also new thermostat and new alternator belts, fit it all yesterday evening, left it overnight, refilled coolant this evening and started it up to bleed and check for leaks etc. I now have a noise that almost sounds like the impeller is just catching inside! Can’t think of anything else that would be making the noise! If anyone has any similar experience with water pumps or can give me any advice it would be very much appreciated.
    Engine is a 2 litre pinto out of a 1989 mk3 Granada none power steering, viscous fan removed,

Thanks,
    Ant

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Re: Help...New water pump noisy!

Hey guys,
    I finally got the time to change the water pump on my 1972 mk3 Cortina, had a small leak, pretty sure it was just the gasket but brought a nice shiney new pump from Burton Power with gasket, also new thermostat and new alternator belts, fit it all yesterday evening, left it overnight, refilled coolant this evening and started it up to bleed and check for leaks etc. I now have a noise that almost sounds like the impeller is just catching inside! Can’t think of anything else that would be making the noise! If anyone has any similar experience with water pumps or can give me any advice it would be very much appreciated.
    Engine is a 2 litre pinto out of a 1989 mk3 Granada none power steering, viscous fan removed,

Thanks,
    Ant

Racer Decade Plus User rallyrob's Avatar

Thanks

Can't think of why it would do it, but it's not the pulley catching on part of the water pump casting behind it is it. I would think that would make a similar noise to you're describing. Or is it possible it could be the fan blade touching the front of the alternator, maybe you managed to give it a sizeable knock whilst working on it? Another one might be just double check the length of the pulley bolts to make sure they're not protruding out the back of the pulley to far and catching the front of the pump casting.

Just a few suggestions I can think of before you go taking the water pump right off again.

Racer Decade Plus User rallyrob's Avatar

Thanks

Take the belt back off and spin it with your fingers to see what you get. Makes me wonder if the pulley flange is not as thick as the original was, an this is leaving the bolts out the back to far.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Hey there, I checked the bolts on the pulley and they wasn’t fouling the casing, it is slightly different on the new pump though! Was advised to use a long screwdriver as a stethoscope, worked a treat, could tell right away it wasn’t the water pump....thankfully. So that just left the alternator fan, I definitely didn’t knock it and it wasn’t catching when turning the engine by hand, but I did notice one blade was slightly off to the rest...gave it a little bend and hey presto �� metal noise gone �� don’t know why it wasn’t making that noise with the old belts on but hey who can make sense of these things!

Thanks a lot for taking the time to give me advice, I really appreciate it,

Thanks,

Ant

+ Reply to Thread