User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Wiring info, alternator conversion H&H ignition system, fan & fuel pump relay wiring.

  1. #1
    Mechanic mk1zetec's Avatar

    My 1st Project
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    In me lock up, Hillingdon West london.
    Age
    45
    Posts
    511
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts

    Wiring info, alternator conversion H&H ignition system, fan & fuel pump relay wiring.

    Some last things to do to get my mk1 running after 10 years of being push-along powered. Was wondering if anybody could advise on these:

    1. Converting MK1 esc wiring loom from voltage generator to alternator. Also i have a high output alternator from a sierra 2.0I GLS and was wondering if there are issues with to many amps being generated?

    2. Wiring scheme for electric fan that cuts the coinnection to the fan while using the starter motor to crank the engine. I found one once (via google) but can't find it now.

    3. An oil pressure switch that grounds when under oil pressure. I am looking to wire the fuel pump relay ground to this so that it shuts power to the pump if the engine stops running.

    4. Anybody know the wiring for the H&H ignition system for a pinto, i know its simple as but not sure what to connect to what.

    Thanks in advance. Clive.

  2. #2
    World Champion Decade Plus User exboyracer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Wirral UK
    Age
    40
    Posts
    7,296
    Thanks
    260
    Thanked 541 Times in 529 Posts

    Re: Wiring info, alternator conversion H&H ignition system, fan & fuel pump relay wir

    Quote Originally Posted by mk1zetec View Post
    Some last things to do to get my mk1 running after 10 years of being push-along powered. Was wondering if anybody could advise on these:

    1. Converting MK1 esc wiring loom from voltage generator to alternator. Also i have a high output alternator from a sierra 2.0I GLS and was wondering if there are issues with to many amps being generated?
    This should answer your wiring questions:
    http://www.seoc.co.uk/alternator.htm
    There are no issues with too many amps being generated, alternators don't work like that, they only supply current in response to load.
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1zetec View Post
    2. Wiring scheme for electric fan that cuts the coinnection to the fan while using the starter motor to crank the engine. I found one once (via google) but can't find it now.
    I can't see why you'd want to do that, but it should be easy enough to do by just using a normally closed relay in the power feed to the fan, which opens when the starter is operated.
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1zetec View Post
    3. An oil pressure switch that grounds when under oil pressure. I am looking to wire the fuel pump relay ground to this so that it shuts power to the pump if the engine stops running.
    These are hard to find, it's easier to use a normal oil pressure switch to drive a normally closed relay so that when the oil pressure gets low it operates the relay which opens, stopping the power to the pump.
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1zetec View Post
    4. Anybody know the wiring for the H&H ignition system for a pinto, i know its simple as but not sure what to connect to what.
    Have you already bought the ignition system from H&H? Did it not come with a wiring diagram? Have you tried contacting them and asking them for a diagram?
    http://escort.accelerator.org
    1968 MK1 Escort 1300GT
    1969 'Big Wing' MK1 Escort
    1972 MK3 Cortina 1600XL
    1984 Sierra XR4i
    And other junk I don't like to talk about!

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to exboyracer For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Mechanic mk1zetec's Avatar

    My 1st Project
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    In me lock up, Hillingdon West london.
    Age
    45
    Posts
    511
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts

    Re: Wiring info, alternator conversion H&H ignition system, fan & fuel pump relay wir

    Thanks very much for the reply, the alt conversion is as simple as i thought it would be, but its best to check and i thought that was the case re the alternator amp output but i had a niggling memory about someone saying large output alternators did no agree with the escort. I will look into closed relays they would make sense.

    The reason for the fan being isolated when starting is that the engine is high compression and starting may be an issue, so having the fan immediately start up when hot will not help the starter motor draw all the amps it needs. well thats theory,

  5. #4
    World Champion Decade Plus User exboyracer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Wirral UK
    Age
    40
    Posts
    7,296
    Thanks
    260
    Thanked 541 Times in 529 Posts

    Re: Wiring info, alternator conversion H&H ignition system, fan & fuel pump relay wir

    Quote Originally Posted by mk1zetec View Post
    i had a niggling memory about someone saying large output alternators did no agree with the escort.
    I have a Wosp 80A alternator on my Escort to run a heated windscreen and I've had no issues with it

    Quote Originally Posted by mk1zetec View Post
    The reason for the fan being isolated when starting is that the engine is high compression and starting may be an issue, so having the fan immediately start up when hot will not help the starter motor draw all the amps it needs. well thats theory,
    I can see your reasoning, but the situation you describe should happen very rarely, if at all.
    I suppose it does no harn to have such a system insalled though.

    If the motor you're planning has such high compression, you need a decent starter - again I have a Wosp gear reduction starter on mine and it has been faultless, if the price is too steep for you see if you can find a Granada Pinto starter, they are 1.4kW and much more 'manly' than the normal 0.9kW starter.
    http://escort.accelerator.org
    1968 MK1 Escort 1300GT
    1969 'Big Wing' MK1 Escort
    1972 MK3 Cortina 1600XL
    1984 Sierra XR4i
    And other junk I don't like to talk about!

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts