User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: calling all axle experts

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

calling all axle experts

Hi all

I’m in the process of fitting a Tran-X LSD in my Atlas axle including new bearing. I understand that I’ve got to set it all of properly getting the mesh pattern correct and the backlash right, about 0.15mm (0.006”) ??

Question?

1, Are there any shims on the pinion bearings, or is the position of the pinion fixed.

2, Does the crush just set the preload on the pinion bearing or does is affect backlash too?

3, I’ve fitted the new bearing to the LSD without any shims and fitted into the axle, Using feeler gauges to shim the outer bearing over until the bearings feel tight, but still spinning freely. Measuring about 0.9mm. Does this sound about right and is this the correct way of determine the total amount of shim require.

I’m sure there will be more question to follow but need these answering first

Thanks for any help

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: calling all axle experts

you need to preload the crown wheel bearings with the thin shims but you really need special tools to set this properly, and you also need to fit the correct shim behind the pinion bearing to ensure the pinion contacts the crown wheel in the correct way, again, ideally you need special tools to assess this shim aswell, all bearings, pinions and diff casings vary very slightly and the variation between old and new bearings can mean problems when rebuilding, added to that you need to move the crown wheel left or rght to get correct tooth contact whilst maintaining preload. the crush washer sets and maintains preload on the pinion bearings. if you are patient you can set the diff by trial and error always keeping an eye on the contact pattern as this is vital but it can be a long job.

+ Reply to Thread