User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Type 9 manual swap into a Volvo 940

Tyre Kicker Turbosport Subscriber

Thanks

Type 9 manual swap into a Volvo 940

Hello, a type 9 gearbox question here.

I have a 96' Volvo 940 2.0 turbo sedan. I am after a manual swap and right now have an eye on a specific Ford type 9 gearbox. The donor is another, identical, Volvo 940, that has a type 9 in it. So, it is a direct swap over, of all the bits and pieces.

The stock Volvo specs are:
    155hp (116kW) @5600
    229N⋅m (169lb⋅ft) @3600

The car weights 1500kg. There will be some weight reduction but there will also be some chassis/strut braces and biffier sway bars added, so I consider that as the running weight.

My target is double the stock HP and torque.

I'll be running a performance clutch and stickier tires (for track days) or slippery tires (for drift days), all amateur events, no pro stuff. Just having fun, but properly .

Now, I realize that I'm going to kill the box, very fast, if not in minutes, especially whith sticky tires.

So, I'm considering a gear kit upgrade, to make it stronger and get better ratios along the way.
    Here's one option, just to point out what I'm considering:
    https://www.burtonpower.com/5-speed-...-gbt9230s.html

I have little to none fabrication skill. All work will be done by a real mechanic.

Where I live, we have no Volvo manual gearboxes and the T5s are rare and expensive.

The least technically challenging manual swaps that I can find are the Type 9 or a Toyota Hilux cab 2x4 pickup truck. These were done by several locals, so the know-how is there. Anything else would be a research and development project, which I'd not want to get in to. Basically, I want to do something that was already tried and tested.

Finally, my question is, is this a bonehead idea? Or, could this actually work?

If so, can I get away with say just a partial gear kit, upgrading some of the gears, or do I need the whole thing?

What actually breaks in a stock Type 9 when upder high torque application?

Thanks in advance for any input.
    Matthew.

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Re: Type 9 manual swap into a Volvo 940

I have no experience with type 9s in particular, but with any high torque situation, the main problems are going to be sheared gear shafts and ripping teeth off the gears. In all likelyhood, you'll be looking at replacing the whole cluster. The next stage will then be, can the casing take the strain directed by the uprated parts...

Then there are the engine and gearbox mountings, the propshaft and lastly the rear axle.

As with all commercial products, they are generally designed to take the stresses and strains applied as standard. It becomes a chain of events once extra power/torque is applied, and it will always be the weakest link in that chain that will give out in the end.

Simon

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Have you considered mazda or lexus boxes? The RX7/8 boxes have good rep for being strong - well to at least 250 odd hp? But ultimately the T5 will be the better choice - used in Mustangs (I think) as well if they are around?

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

I would find a good used Volvo 940 Turbo M47 gearbox on Ebay and get it shipped over in a crate. They are very strong; much stronger than a type 9, and it will bolt straight on to your Volvo Redblock engine. There are several on Ebay UK at the moment, but also maybe have a look at Ebay Sweden or other Scandinavian countries. Volvos over there are like Fords in the UK; a plethora of tuning goodies!

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Or, if you can find one, an M90 gearbox from a late model 940 will take massive amounts of abuse. I've heard of people putting 400 to 500 turbo horsepower through them!

Thanks

Unfortunately, it is forbidden to import used automotive parts into Israel. As it is forbidden to import used cars into Israel. With the exception of cars and parts for cars that are 30+ years old (that are defined as collectible in Israel). Yes, it is a sad sad reality for any petrol head in Israel.

That is why we have some T5 floating around, cause those were imported as parts for collectible cars. But, the prices are imaginary.

And that is why I'm looking at a Type 9.

Thanks

I was told that a long first gear conversion kit will increase the torque capacity of the gearbox (by reducing the torque multiplication from input shaft down to cluster gear).

Something like Burton sells, a "half kit" which raises 1st gear to 2.98 -
    https://www.burtonpower.com/ford-sie...t-gbt9200.html

What's Your take on that?

Thanks

More confusion.

I found these two items, both from same dealer, both named -
    "Ford Type 9 Gearbox Uprated 2.98:1 Ratio Long first gear conversion kit".

Both fit 4-cyl Ford Type 9.

However, it says that there are two different kinds of those:

This set is compatible with gearboxes fitted with a stub shaft, which run with the bearing F208843.
    https://ebay.us/u5NgMq

This set is compatible with gearboxes fitted with a layshaft.
    https://ebay.us/k4TtA2

What in the world is this about?

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

I have been running type 9's behind turbo Pintos and I'm afraid I can't support your idea...

While I only really broke one gearbox, that was with less than 310 bhp and 400 Nm where you are aiming. No one that makes gear kits for Type 9's rate them for a lot of torque so I think you will just be breaking a more expensive gearbox.

Can you import 30 year old parts? While shipping would be a bit steep you can use a manual gearbox from an early 740 or 240 (1988 or earlier).

Failing that, I would look at a pickup gearbox. Anything you can find locally that is reasonably strong should be a better bet than a type 9 in your case... Because I can't imagine type 9s are very plentiful or cheap either?

Gustaf

+ Reply to Thread