User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Capri axle/springs location issue

boXXer

Capri axle/springs location issue

Hi guys. Hope someone can help my brain

today I did some ‘home’ alignment on my Capri, with 4 axle stands and some plumbers line. I did the tracking and set the car dead straight, but I noticed, which I thought at the time was a wrongly adjusted tca, that the passenger wheel was sat inwards by 30mm compared to the drivers side. I evenly spaced the rear strings 40mm away from the rims, but drivers side front was 20mm from string and passengers side 50mm.

So I got under the front to adjust the tca outwards and took some measurements beforehand. From centre of front crossmember to inside edges of the disc was exactly the same measurement on both sides. I also used more reference points on the front and I’m 99% sure the front is ok. The wheels are also dead flush with the front arches too.

So went to the back, measured the leading and following edge of the discs on both sides to the front spring bushing hole, and the axle is 10mm forward on the drivers side. I took all the u bolts out and lifted the axle to make sure it was dead straight on the locating pins, which it was and hadn’t moved. Measured the locating pins, to the front bushing eyelets, all dead on.

Hard to explain, but to me is seems like the the axle is twisted to the left (looking from above the car) as this would have the effect with the strings following a straight line upto the front of the car and making the gap bigger on passengers side to drivers side.

Any suggestions As what to do or what could be wrong?

Mechanic

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Re: Capri axle/springs location issue

if its an atlas,put a straight edge along the rear of the diff housing and measure the tube ends to it

+ Reply to Thread