User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Valve Clearances - Check?

Thanks

Valve Clearances - Check?

Morning all, quick query for you, I have what seems to be a slightly tappy valve in my Duratec.

Is there a way to adjust the valve clearances, or is it a case of replacing a follower??

Any advice, firstly on how to check with is tapping, but also how to go about rectifying the problem??

The engine was sat for approx 9 months, whilst the car was being built, I had hoped the tap may have disapeared but alas not, hence my question.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Mark

Pit Crew

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Re: Valve Clearances - Check?

Yeah it is a case of replacing the bucket, which means:
    Remove Cam box (easy to do)
    Measure clearances to see which one(s) are out of tolerance (0.25mm +/-0.03 Intake) (0.30mm +/-0.03 Exhaust)
    Calculate size of bucket needed and source it from Ford, note although the Durtec is a metric engine the followers seem to go up in 0.001" (one thou increments) so a 422 bucket is a thou bigger than 402. There is a spreadsheet tool here to help with calculations

Set engine to TDC by placing a suitable piece of flat bar across the back of the cams were there is a slot for this (see Pic 4)
    Mark the cam sprockets and chain with a indelible felt tip pen (do not move the crank!)
    Remove the cams
    Pull out guilty bucket with a magnet and replace with new one
    Replace the cams checking that the crank has not moved
    Check everything is in the exact position you took it apart and if in any doubt re-time the cams.

Otherwise take it to a Ford dealer and get them to do it, probably would be worth it as they will have done loads

www.gulfpetrolheads.com

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Think I may have the same issue from my duratec. Its been parked up for approx 3 years and when it started it was tapping a while but then cleared. Once put on rollers it started tapping intermittently but doesnt clear now. Have you had a look at yours yet Mark?

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

just had a look at my tappets. did a check whilst still hot (not ideal granted but lookiing for large difference between sets of valves) I will do cold check tomorrow. The valves seem to give a gap of approx .10mm whereas the rear most inlet valve had slightly more gap (manual states av .25mm as quoted above). This is where I beleve the noise is coming from. After a proper check tomorrow will put clearance szes down.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Measured the tappets today and all the gaps seem quite small. getting .10mm on quite a number of the inlet valves and .30mm on inlet valve nearest the bulkhead. Im not sure if the engine has had top end wotk before as the cam retaining towers have been what looks like centre punched to number them and there is a 'T' in white paint on the exhaust cam by the sprocket.
    Dont know what to do with the motor now as if had to replace all followers would prob cost more than the motor did??
    I dont seem to have much luck with engines.

+ Reply to Thread