+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Locost ST170

Mechanic

Thanks

Re: Locost ST170

Quote Originally Posted by alladdin View Post
    the quote was actually atdc so it would be between 215 and 275 btdc

these figs are indeed a long way from your expected figs and would suggest a possible error somewhere ? maybe a google search would turn up more

tech info on the std engine but im all googled out.
    on this occassion, with this engine, it would appear that there are no errors, i saw with my own eyes how much advance there was on the inlet, the mappin was all there on different graphs! modern technology, great stuff!

Pole Position Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Administrator

Thanks

Interesting discussion!
    Which lead to me look for my old notes made when I did some measurements on a 1.7 Puma engine which also has VCT.
    The system of the ST170 is copied from the Puma system (with some small mods); the Puma cam can be advanced 20 degrees (camshaft-degrees) with respect to the nominal (no current to VCT valve) position. This 20 degrees can also be seen as +10 to -10 degrees from a "normal" position.
    Engines with VCT have relatively low-duration cams and these also have a slow ramp which both will prevent the valves get bent.
    Maybe with the ST170 Ford have enlarged the cam-range to 60 (crank-) degrees which is 30 camshaft-degrees or +15 to -15 degrees.

Regards, Leon.

Mechanic

Thanks

when reading through different stages of the cam advancement, there were stages where there was no advance at all, running with 0deg, then as dynaoman clarified, it maxed at 51deg. as alladdin quoted, a 60deg potential from atdc, as well as newman cams when discussing with them. mine did run with 60deg, and obtained 169bhp@flywheel, now it getting what it needs ( max 51 deg), i have gained 24bhp at max, with an average of just over 20 throughout. you are right tho, it does have similarities to the puma in regards to the head, s the cams are interchangable. but would suggest that it might be further developed than the 1.7 motor.
    Last edited by dyn-car-gwyn; 15-11-2011 at 19:37.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

As i understand it the engine was developed by Cosworth with a better flowing head along with their usual tweeks. For sure it is cheap power.

Mechanic

Thanks

That's how I understood it, a cosworth breathed upon engine, but wasn't too sure! They've obviously explored what they can do with a modern engine and come up trumps!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dyn-car-gwyn View Post
    I found a supplier in America for the wheels, only came as a pack of 2, But was as cheap as 1 over here! Food for thought!
    How was it to get the parts sent over, through customs? Last time I ordered some bits they got stopped and I had to pay extra

Mechanic

Thanks

Was through normal mail, probably recorded, can't remember exactly, but requested that they got registered as a gift. It worked for me, but even with the import duty, it was more economical.

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robrs2 View Post
    How was it to get the parts sent over, through customs? Last time I ordered some bits they got stopped and I had to pay extra
    its rather hit and miss sometimes you end up having to pay others you dont, a lot of it depends on what the sender says is in the package, engine parts are likely to attract duty even if sent as a gift

Mechanic

Thanks

Agree wit graham, it is very hit and miss, I've been lucky, have ordered various bits, and they all come through ok, my brother who ordered a pair of boots, marked as gift, hot rumbled! Lol. It's no big shakes though, if it gets pulled, you just pay it, and they send it on. No fines etc. Just factor it into the price when you're looking around.

Pit Crew Decade Plus User Group4_Mark2's Avatar

Thanks

Normally best to mark them with the correct description but get a commercial invoice attached to the box with a nice low value. Who can say that you did not buy the parts at an absolute steal. Keep it somewhat realistic and usually it works out ok.
    To finish first, you must first finish

Mechanic

Thanks

Like graham said, and from my limited experience, I'd say it's very pot luck if you get through or not, best plan I'd say would be to factor it into the price, and if you get away with it, then it's a bonus!

Thanks

What timing are you guys running on your Exhaust cam verniers ?.... just about to fit one to my St170 powered Wesfield ?

Click image for larger version Name:	img20272.jpg Views:	8 Size:	135.1 KB ID:	49590

Many Thanks

Craig

Mechanic

Thanks

i retarded mine 5 degrees, gained approx 10bhp. i am running standard st induction though.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dyn-car-gwyn For This Useful Post:

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

You can go as much as 10 deg's on the exhaust cam.

Thanks

I got bored over the winter and ported a spare head I had, for the £250 it cost to do and set up the results are small. All I managed to do is create a huge torque spike. I did move the VVC cut in point up the range by 600rpm as it was a pig in the wet.

Anyway the map for you all to look at.

ATB Dan
    Last edited by scutter; 23-06-2013 at 12:46.

Mechanic

Thanks

Have a peek at the thread St 170, I've also now got a ported and skimmed head on my motor, but have ditched the standard cam sensor, and replaced it with a hall effect sensor, it's now a very different beast altogether!!

Thanks

Thanks fella, but my old Omex 500 ecu doesn't use cam input. on mine it's only there to plug the hole!!! we found the old ECU lacking in certain aspects as we could have done with extra rpm sites to smooth out the curve.

Thanks Dan.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dyn-car-gwyn View Post
    You're right, 60 was too much, hence only getting to near 170bhp. It now advances mid 40ish degrees max, and have gained a steady 20+ bhp all round. Guess it had to be capable of going beyond what was required. When using the shift light to power the Vvt solenoid, it switched it fully on, right up to it's maximum, hence the 60degrees. Dynoman,who did the mapping, showed the figures as he was getting it all working on the laptop,
    When running 40+ advance do you retard it continuously back to 0 as revs climb or do you run it at max advance throughout the rev band? And also what happens with the variable inlet mani?

P.S. Sorry for the old thread

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Is this thread still alive? poke poke!

I have just had a st170 engine rebuilt with ported head, balanced , VVT delete variable pulleys etc. It is clear that more power comes with more advance of the inlet pulley. It is now set to full 30 degrees on the dial. No need for that top end buzz because it gets up to speed with all the bottom end grunt faster than waiting for the top end as before. Now I am wondering about the exhaust cam. People are saying retard it 5 degrees, is that a good move or is there other results from different settings?

Chris

World Champion Decade Plus User alladdin's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Locost ST170

Unless you change cam profile from standard then you will lose power and drivability by not mapping the vct. Given that controllers are now common it seems pointless using a delete kit. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread