User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: O dear xflow o dear

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

O dear xflow o dear

So! The story Got 1700 xflow 1300 pistons 244 cam stage 4 race head biggest valves possible bottom end refreshed less than 1000 miles block honed new main and big end bareings new rings head light skim valves reseated all done by local garage couple years ago by local garage who been doing classic engines for over 40 years but just lately getting bad reports of not doing jobs properly changing staff etc iv just changed twin 40 dcoe s to twin idf because of clacking noise/induction pulses got it running reasonable ticking over and driving quite good although i found oil leak by rocker gasket/replaced and what seems like oil leak around exhaust manifold but got it booked in rolling rd where iv been several times so he knows my car etc drive there 10 miles smoke pluming from under bonnet oil every where.all round engine on floor first thought running really rich dumping fuel down bores thining oil etc so drop oil put new in check compression cant get reading as oil top of pistons and going up gaugeso testet says prob bottom end rebuild.anyway i drive steadaly home and apart from smoke every where it drives fine with no untowards noises.would i be best take head off could it be valve stem seals etc causing probs? I wont be taking it back to garage.iv got v good head place by me to sort head. Anyone advise if the head could be the prob as this is easier than bottome end stuff.advise/ideas anyone.cheers
    Last edited by Theyellowmex; 26-02-2019 at 20:01.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Re: O dear xflow o dear

Mods can you move to correct area pinto xflow etc as iv posted in here by mistake.cheers

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Sounds like it could be a breather system not routed properly rather than a poor engine rebuild.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HonkyWhiteTrash View Post
    Sounds like it could be a breather system not routed properly rather than a poor engine rebuild.
    I wish lol iv never had oil/fumes from crank breather tho.iv got burton crankcase breather to oil filler cap? Could bad breathing cause so much oil escape ?

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Not sure but what you've described is a closed system ie. not vented! As I understand it the crankcase breather should vent into the rocker cover and then the cover gets vented to a catch can with a filter to vent the fumes to atmosphere or to a big can open to atmosphere. The cap with a pipe connection would have gone to the std. air filter housing ie. atmosphere. So as is, any pressure build up is going to blow oil past the rings and past the valve seals - hence copious smoke and oil from any orifice!

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

i doubt the engine is at fault here!

if you had a clacking noise it sounds like the pcv valve is still intact the breather system doesnt function properly if it is, if you connect the pcv valve to the inlet manifold for a pair of sidedrafts it clacks with the induction pulses. if you dont connect it to a vacuum source the engine cants breath and will leak like a sieve.

you need to cut the bottom off the pcv valve and remove the guts then put it back in the breather box and connect it to a catch tank.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    i doubt the engine is at fault here!

if you had a clacking noise it sounds like the pcv valve is still intact the breather system doesnt function properly if it is, if you connect the pcv valve to the inlet manifold for a pair of sidedrafts it clacks with the induction pulses. if you dont connect it to a vacuum source the engine cants breath and will leak like
    you need to cut the bottom off the pcv valve and remove the guts then put it back in the breather box and connect it to a catch tank.
    Iv replaced the pc valve with burton alloy one vented up to filler cap. If i drill hole in rocker cover and pipe to catch tank will this be ok for breathing.will i have done any damage to engine and what would be procedure for for re starting? Just let it idle burn off any oil in cylinders etc.other than all this engine sounds sweet.thanks for all the input guys

Racer Decade Plus User wildo105e's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Theyellowmex View Post
    Iv replaced the pc valve with burton alloy one vented up to filler cap. If i drill hole in rocker cover and pipe to catch tank will this be ok for breathing.will i have done any damage to engine and what would be procedure for for re starting? Just let it idle burn off any oil in cylinders etc.other than all this engine sounds sweet.thanks for all the input guys
    if you filler cap does not have a vent out to the atmosphere/catch tank etc you will need to make one from the rocker to a tank. A mk1 fiesta 1300/1600 x-flow filler cap has two outlets on it.
    Last edited by wildo105e; 27-02-2019 at 09:24.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wildo105e View Post
    if you filler cap does not have a vent out to the atmosphere/catch tank etc you will need to make one from the rocker to a tank. A mk1 fiesta 1300/1600 x-flow filler cap has two outlets on it.
    Thats the cap i have, i got pipe in bottom one then little filyer on top one

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

All sorted thanks for all the imput guys.honky you were right in the first instance was breather prob.id run pipe from crank to fuel cap outlet but was found to not flow due to blocked.iv now drilled rocker fitted connection for crank breather then one from rocker to catch tank which is vented to atmosphere.cant believe rolling rd guy didnt pick this up really!!!! Thanks again

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Theyellowmex View Post
    All sorted thanks for all the imput guys.honky you were right in the first instance was breather prob.id run pipe from crank to fuel cap outlet but was found to not flow due to blocked.iv now drilled rocker fitted connection for crank breather then one from rocker to catch tank which is vented to atmosphere.cant believe rolling rd guy didnt pick this up really!!!! Thanks again
    The things rolling road guys should know, but don't!
    Glad you're sorted.

+ Reply to Thread