User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cabby 3i turbo conversion - Lots of help/advice required. It is a running car!

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Cabby 3i turbo conversion - Lots of help/advice required. It is a running car!

Hi, new member here and I need loads of help! im not 100% on turbo's and neither are any of my mates. I've been having problems with my girls cabby. It is a shed (was once a stunner), but I want it running well before i make an attempt at restoring the thing to its former glory.

took me about 5 hours to replace the power roof that was not a power roof. A certain person who fooked this thing up in the first place shall remain un-named but he broke the 3i engine and stole the new roof and power parts leaving me to find a new roof and power roof parts and to replace all the wiring he messed up. Engine was a goner. Could not get it to run. Was naff all oil in it so may have been run with no oil for a while causing its death.

A close friend said he can drop his old turbo engine inside which he did and it finally ran having not run for 3 years only to find these problems below

Brakes were upgraded by me, not sure what too but I had to get the carriers engineered to fit the new discs and pads - were still crap, found out there was no gasket in the brake servo, replaced the whole thing last night in rain and darkness - pita with only a phone light held by a woman. That little white plastic pin is a %&£$

Rough idle and engine cutting out, replaced coilpack, blanked off one pipe on the plenum and what looks like something to do with the fuel rail... and all is well on that front! Red stuff is just sealant to ensure I had no air leaks causing the problem. Pics...
    Click image for larger version Name:	DSCF0950.jpg Views:	3 Size:	238.1 KB ID:	44593

Click image for larger version Name:	DSCF0955.jpg Views:	3 Size:	260.0 KB ID:	44594

Click image for larger version Name:	DSCF0957.jpg Views:	3 Size:	257.7 KB ID:	44595

I've been through countless conversion guides and cannot seem to get my head around what the bloody hell is going on.

I have no boost from the turbo at all. I've had the pipe off the actuator and the one on the turbo side, can feel slight amount of air if I hld it close to my face.
    Pics of the pipes in question, the little ones - no idea what that valve is, makes no difference on or off
    Click image for larger version Name:	DSCF0954.jpg Views:	2 Size:	230.8 KB ID:	44590

Checked the actuater wastegate and that is functioning correctly, i've tried it from closed, slightly open to fully open to bypass - none of these give any pressure
    Pics
    Click image for larger version Name:	DSCF0953.jpg Views:	1 Size:	219.7 KB ID:	44599

When reving/driving it also does nothing, maybe a tiny bit more air comming through but no suction or pressure even when connected and no leaks.

There is no intercooler (don't know why, maybe a low bost 3i conversion) here's photo's to show you what I mean...
    Pics
    Click image for larger version Name:	DSCF0948.jpg Views:	1 Size:	225.2 KB ID:	44591

Click image for larger version Name:	DSCF0951.jpg Views:	1 Size:	250.9 KB ID:	44592

Can anyone point out what this device is, edis maybe? I read a guide telling me to take pin 11 from edis to my rev counter for clean RPM signal but it's only 10-pin as Rev signal only go's to 4k but engine definatly is reving to red line.
    Click image for larger version Name:	DSCF0956.jpg Views:	1 Size:	215.2 KB ID:	44596

Can anyone also identify these plugs and if the are correctly connected? engine works connected or not.
    Click image for larger version Name:	DSCF0959.jpg Views:	1 Size:	234.0 KB ID:	44597

Also another stray connection... the yelow plug is the offending item here
    Click image for larger version Name:	DSCF0958.jpg Views:	1 Size:	241.2 KB ID:	44598

Thank you in advance

boXXer

Re: Cabby 3i turbo conversion - Lots of help/advice required. It is a running car!

chuck this on passionford, loads of RST peeps on there

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Re: Cabby 3i turbo conversion - Lots of help/advice required. It is a running car!

Quote Originally Posted by boXXer View Post
    chuck this on passionford, loads of RST peeps on there
    Cheers, I had already posted on there but got minimal response but have created a new thread with pics in the RS section.

Hopefully someone will come point out a few things for me on here too.

Thanks

A lot of questions :
    I asume that you have checked for leaks from pipes going to and from turbo ?
    Check electrics for moisture.
    Check Maf tube to inlet manifold free no blocks
    Check feul flow and pressure ( Filter )
    Boosting
    Sounds like the waste gate aint shut (any1 else correct me if im wrong) and its just letting the exhaust gas straight out instead of boosting.try making the rod a bit shorter from the acuator to wastegate and see what happens do it little bit by little just incase u have an underlying issue with something.
    Check this with a boost gauge.

You don't need an intercooler this just keeps the the incoming air temp down but without this and high boost risk of detonation and engine failure.

Stalling jutter ??
    sounds like the idle speed ocntrol valve needs a clean or needs replacing, it can also lead to stalling at low revs, when you dip the clutch.
    This is on the left side of the inlet manifold the one with the tube coming from the rocker cover ( use break cleaner )
    And go step by step !! Good luck

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

is the turbo siezed?

+ Reply to Thread