User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fire Extinguisher Install Covering Fuel Pump in Boot

Bodger

Thanks

Fire Extinguisher Install Covering Fuel Pump in Boot

I know that the standard MSA Fire Extinguisher install has a number of nozzles in the engine bay and inside the car to give the occupants time to escape, but what about road cars with the battery, fuel pump & filter in the boot?

Getting near the end of my rebuild and last Saturday was engine start day. However despite testing the fuel system, its all new, several times with no problems the Filter King decided to leak, badly. Considering, unlike competition cars, my car doesn't have a proper sealed fire wall this has me thinking about Fire Extinguishers. Depending on type of extinguisher its either, AFFF 4 nozzles in the engine bay and 2 in the cabin or Novec 3 nozzles in the engine bay and 2 in the cabin.

What about the boot, any suggestions?

Racer Decade Plus User rallyrob's Avatar

Thanks

Re: Fire Extinguisher Install Covering Fuel Pump in Boot

Are more nozzles not available to buy separately with extra lengths tubing as well?

Bodger

Thanks

They are, however each system is usually designed on the capacity of the bottle and the output of the nozzles.

In a rally car the boot is fully fire walled from the cabin hence normally no requirement for nozzles in the boot. The normal place of ignition would be the engine bay and the nozzles in the cabin are for personal protection to enable you to escape.

I could reduce the amount of nozzles in the engine bay and cabin to allow for a couple in the boot and still retain the standard bottle size. I was just wondering if someone else had faced this problem and how/what they did about it.

Possibly that leak on Saturday has me over thinking it.

Pole Position Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Administrator

Thanks

2 kg Novec handheld (near drivers seat so you can tackle a fire wherever it is).

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Depends what you are trying to achieve? None of the commercially available systems are only there to hold a fire in check till marshalls arrive with more extinguishers. On the road the bottle will be empty in maybe 30 secs and if the fire isn't small the car is likely to be toast - if you are that worried have a small system in the boot! But as a biker with a turbo bike - 4 gallons of fuel directly over a toasty engine and red hot turbo - the thought of a fire never entered my mind. Even if the Fire Brigade turns up in 5 minutes the car will still be a total loss - QED...........you are over thinking it LOL!

Bodger

Thanks

I'm not worried about saving the car its more of giving me time to get out. I experienced an electrical car fire in 1976 which put me in hospital after I stopped it with my bare hands, not my best move but it did save the car.

I've sort of answered my own question, reduce the engine and cabin nozzles to give me some to cover the fuel pump and Filter King.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Or re position the pump and filter under the bonnet and keep all the major risks in one place?

Mechanic

Thanks

FEV in Arundel are the guys to talk to. Lengths of tube and nozzles all purchased as extras. All sizes & types of cylinder.
    Sales@f-e-v.co.uk
    Or 01243 555566
    HTH

+ Reply to Thread