User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mk1 Dash Panel

Bodger

Thanks

Mk1 Dash Panel

Hi All.

Converting to Right Hand Drive.
    Looking to take the dash out and put in new.Issue is i have found all the spot welds and want to drill them out but without damaging the windscreen surround which is perfect.Anybody have any experience on this and what did ye do.

Thanks

Racer Decade Plus User rallyrob's Avatar

Thanks

Re: Mk1 Dash Panel

I haven't done it but you could use a little 10mm finger belt sander. That way you can grind away the spot welds from the inside dash side rather than the windscreen side.. Should work out ok as long as you know where all the spot welds are from the out side...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rallyrob For This Useful Post:

Mechanic

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Re: Mk1 Dash Panel

Hi kielyelec,
    How are you going to fit the replacement dash ?
    The normal way would be to spot weld it in as per original if you have the appropriate spot welding equipment, or as most don’t have access to an industrial spot welder, they plug weld with a Mig. Maybe I’ve misunderstood the situation but if not. -
    If you’re going to plug weld, you’ll need holes to plug weld through. In which case it makes sense to get a “6mm spot weld drill” (flat ended drill, not a cutter) and drill out the welds from the windscreen/dash flange. Remove the dash and plug weld the replacement in through the holes left in the windscreen flange, then dress off the plugs smooth.
    I would have thought trying to plug weld from under the dash onto the windscreen flange will be really tricky.
    Hope that helps ��

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zakspak For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread