User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trigger Wheel Kit for Pinto Running aftermarket ECU

Bodger

Thanks

Trigger Wheel Kit for Pinto Running aftermarket ECU

I’ve been meaning to post my experiences of fitting an aftermarket ECU and trigger wheel setup for a while. I wanted to post the final completed solution with the engine running but I’ve got bogged down with problems installing it.

After a lot of research and posts on here I decided to ditch the distributor and fit a Nodiz Pro ECU onto my 2L Pinto running twin 45 DHLA Dellorto’s. Plan was to use a 2D setup first, crank trigger only, before moving on to a 3D setup, crank trigger and throttle position. The major problem was how to give the Nodiz Pro the trigger signal it requires. I couldn’t find an off the shelf complete kit of crank pulley, trigger wheel and sensor / bracket. Lots more research later I decided that plug and play from one source rather than making my own out of bits bought from different suppliers and making my own brackets was the way forward.

I noticed on HPE’s web site that they do make a kit for the Pinto using their Multi V pulley kit when building Pinto’s with throttle bodies and Omex ECU. After lots of discussion with HPE, James agreed to make me a kit using a single V pully, his trigger wheel, sensor and mounting bracket.

The kit as received.

Click image for larger version Name:	thumbnail_IMG_5147.jpg Views:	228 Size:	35.7 KB ID:	83737

The kit was simple to fit, and fitted first time, which was a change from the usual aftermarket rubbish I’ve bought over the years and I can't thank James enough for taking the time to sort this out for me.

As fitted on HPE test engine.

Click image for larger version Name:	thumbnail_image1.jpg Views:	219 Size:	86.9 KB ID:	83738

Click image for larger version Name:	thumbnail_image2.jpg Views:	220 Size:	109.4 KB ID:	83739

As fitted on my engine.

Click image for larger version Name:	thumbnail_IMG_5150.jpg Views:	224 Size:	64.4 KB ID:	83740

The Nodiz Pro is easy to install with its pre-wired loom. The coil pack I mounted on top of the old distributor body, retained for the oil pump drive. The existing plug leads ends were changed to fit the new coil pack. Calibration of the Nodiz Pro is easy; however, I did have to call them to confirm what I was doing was correct, first time doing this and I just wasn’t sure I was doing it correctly.

Starting the new engine is however proving very difficult. The carbs have been refurbished by Euro Carb and require setting up to allow the engine to start, something I’ve never done before, and they leak.

The problem is the Banjo fittings I bought from Torques. They don’t come with washers, and trying to find some, the correct size / thickness, and ones that don’t leak is proving rather difficult. So far nothing works, copper, alloy or combinations of both. After asking Torques they have supplied me with some more to try. I’ve just ordered some 2.8mm thick fibre ones as anything less than a 2mm washer either side of the Banjo appears to be too small and allows the Banjo bolt to bottom out on the carb before correctly compressing the washers.

Hopefully this will be resolved this Saturday before the car goes off to someone on Monday for setting up. I really don't want to hand over a car leaking petrol everywhere. I also had problems with the brand new Filter King, that hadn't been assembled correctly, the bowel washer was crimped and that leaked as well.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chris_reade For This Useful Post:

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Re: Trigger Wheel Kit for Pinto Running aftermarket ECU

Very nice looking kit

Racer Decade Plus User rallyrob's Avatar

Thanks

So if you don't mind me asking, how much was that from HPE? Ive seriously considered ditching my Nodiz Pro and just going back to a good Dizzy. The overall cost and then the factor that there is more to go wrong also being a thought in my mind...

Racer Decade Plus User wildo105e's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

I was at your stage 7-8 years ago so made my own as there was nothing really nice out there. I still have trouble changing the fan belt I had a pinto pump drive from harris all those years ago but they don't seem to do them any more really nice bit of kit. Think that was one of the brothers doing that as a side line though.

My 1st Project
    Thanks

That HPE kit is very nice. I did this on my Pinto about 10 years ago. At that time, there was an off the shelf trigger wheel and sensor kit available from Webcon UK (don't know if they still do it). The HPE one looks better made.

I remember having a similar problem with banjo bolts bottoming out before the washer was sealed on the same Pinto engine. IIRC I filed about 1mm off the bottom of the bolt head to fix the issue. I was using copper crush washers.

Bodger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rallyrob View Post
    So if you don't mind me asking, how much was that from HPE? Ive seriously considered ditching my Nodiz Pro and just going back to a good Dizzy. The overall cost and then the factor that there is more to go wrong also being a thought in my mind...
    It was £220 posted, this included the kit and a new cam belt. This was with a new alloy pulley, however there was the option to have the trigger wheel on a standard pulley, my own or one of theirs machined to take the trigger wheel which would have lowered the cost.

I compared this to the Turbosport pulley and trigger wheel of £130 plus postage, plus fitting problems, as reported on this forum, plus the cost of a sensor and the grief of making my own bracket and to me it just didn't make sense to go with a bag of bits from different suppliers.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to chris_reade For This Useful Post:

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chris_reade View Post
    I compared this to the Turbosport pulley and trigger wheel of £130 plus postage, plus fitting problems, as reported on this forum
    No direct experience but from what i have heard i have stayed clear. A no brainer and not bad value. I must have centered my trigger wheel about 20 times before it ran true.
    Last edited by wildo105e; 28-03-2019 at 23:10.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wildo105e View Post
    No direct experience but from what i have heard i have stayed clear. A no brainer and not bad value. I must have centered my trigger wheel about 20 times before it ran true.
    Had to have my Turbosh1te crank pulley/trigger wheel reamed and balanced.

HPE setup sounds spot on though.

Thanks

It was £220 posted, this included the kit and a new cam belt. This was with a new alloy pulley, however, there was the option to have the trigger wheel on a standard pulley, my own or one of theirs machined to take the trigger wheel which would have lowered the cost.
    Sounds like a good deal in the end then. So is that a Cossie crank sensor it uses, I wonder if they'd do one with for zetec sensor as this is the plug on the end of my loom. Who was the contact at HPE?
    Last edited by rallyrob; 29-03-2019 at 09:08.

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

I think the plugs are pretty standard square 2 pin thingy with the metal springy clip (like an injector plug). I use a fiesta one which is clamped so adjustable and removable for the fan belt. The HPE looks pre-designed for depth maybe shimming with a small washer to adjust.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to wildo105e For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Ok , so the shimming part doesn't sound to bad... I take it the gap has to be quite acurate between sensor and trigger wheel then does it?

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

I take it the gap has to be quite accurate between sensor and trigger wheel then does it?
    It does too far away and no signal. That is why run out on the wheels is critical (why it took me about 20 times to mount mine accurately) you can get on off signals etc. On the duratec there is a a special gapping tool to align them.

Looking at the sensor it looks to have the same plug on the end of the wire that you probably have on the zetec sensor.

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

the gap isnt so critial as the run out, run out is a killer

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Bodger

Thanks

Sounds like a good deal in the end then. So is that a Cossie crank sensor it uses, I wonder if they'd do one with for zetec sensor as this is the plug on the end of my loom. Who was the contact at HPE?
    Your correct that is a standard Cossie crank sensor and the plug / socket is the same as the Zetec sensor.

HPE, it was James, from my conversations with him he is looking to market this kit if there is enough interest. For me it's no contest on the available alternatives. The Webcon kit was the only other full kit I could find. It also uses a Cossie sensor, but that had its faults as reported on here and it looks like it covers up the timing mark on the engine.

As per the Nodiz Pro instructions the trigger wheel / sensor gap is 0.2 - 0.5 mm, about the thickness of a piece of A4 paper.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to chris_reade For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Excellent, thanks for the info.

So maybe I'll stick with the Nodiz after all then. Looks like I'll be having a chat with him about using my own pulley.

Bodger

Thanks

Finally stopped the banjo fittings leaking with fibre washers, they worked first time, unlike every combination of copper and alloy washers I tried.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

I’ve been meaning to post my experiences of fitting an aftermarket ECU and trigger wheel setup for a while. I wanted to post the final completed solution with the engine running but I’ve got bogged down with problems installing it.

After a lot of research and posts on here I decided to ditch the distributor and fit a Nodiz Pro ECU onto my 2L Pinto running twin 45 DHLA Dellorto’s. Plan was to use a 2D setup first, crank trigger only, before moving on to a 3D setup, crank trigger and throttle position. The major problem was how to give the Nodiz Pro the trigger signal it requires. I couldn’t find an off the shelf complete kit of crank pulley, trigger wheel and sensor / bracket. Lots more research later I decided that plug and play from one source rather than making my own out of bits bought from different suppliers and making my own brackets was the way forward.

I noticed on HPE’s web site that they do make a kit for the Pinto using their Multi V pulley kit when building Pinto’s with throttle bodies and Omex ECU. After lots of discussion with HPE, James agreed to make me a kit using a single V pully, his trigger wheel, sensor and mounting bracket.

The kit as received.

Attachment 83737

The kit was simple to fit, and fitted first time, which was a change from the usual aftermarket rubbish I’ve bought over the years and I can't thank James enough for taking the time to sort this out for me.

As fitted on HPE test engine.

Attachment 83738

Attachment 83739

As fitted on my engine.

Attachment 83740

The Nodiz Pro is easy to install with its pre-wired loom. The coil pack I mounted on top of the old distributor body, retained for the oil pump drive. The existing plug leads ends were changed to fit the new coil pack. Calibration of the Nodiz Pro is easy; however, I did have to call them to confirm what I was doing was correct, first time doing this and I just wasn’t sure I was doing it correctly.

Starting the new engine is however proving very difficult. The carbs have been refurbished by Euro Carb and require setting up to allow the engine to start, something I’ve never done before, and they leak.

The problem is the Banjo fittings I bought from Torques. They don’t come with washers, and trying to find some, the correct size / thickness, and ones that don’t leak is proving rather difficult. So far nothing works, copper, alloy or combinations of both. After asking Torques they have supplied me with some more to try. I’ve just ordered some 2.8mm thick fibre ones as anything less than a 2mm washer either side of the Banjo appears to be too small and allows the Banjo bolt to bottom out on the carb before correctly compressing the washers.

Hopefully this will be resolved this Saturday before the car goes off to someone on Monday for setting up. I really don't want to hand over a car leaking petrol everywhere. I also had problems with the brand new Filter King, that hadn't been assembled correctly, the bowel washer was crimped and that leaked as well.

How has the trigger wheel been fixed to the back of pulley ?

Bodger

Thanks

Bolted, the pulley is drilled and tapped.

The Nodiz Pro was a pain as it was dead on arrival and it took three weekends and a session on a rolling road to work that out. However it was replaced without question and the new one worked first time.

Thanks

Two distinct advantages of that kit.
    1. Toothed wheel behind pulley so you don’t need to take VR sensor off to change belt
    2. very neat sensor mount

The sensor mount has always been an issue on a Pinto as there and any easy places to mount it
    Its a really nice setup.

The only downside I can see is the price, my setup cost £50

+ Reply to Thread