User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Please help turbo conversion

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Please help turbo conversion

hi everybody its been a long while since i played with my drift capri but now i wanne rebuild it the proper way and turbo charge it.
    now im trying to retreve all the info i need but im going nuts!!!
    everybody say s different things like engine manegement posistion of the turbo s etc
    also dont know if i should go single or twin
    so is there somebody arround here that has the experience and knowledge to give me proper information on what to do and where to get the parts if possible
    it is a left hand drive mk3 capri with a 2.8 cologne with engine code PRT

and hopefully could you guys keep it in simple english

thnx and i wil post pics soon

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: Please help turbo conversion

The thing is, you can do it in a number of ways, it's not so easy to say what is best, because it depends on a lot of things.

I have been involved in building two 2.8 turbos. The first was a simple build, single turbo (Holset HX35) using standard Ford EEC-IV EFI and extra injectors. It worked very good given the simplicity of it.

The second was more advanced, twin turbos (Mitsubishi TD04-15g), Megasquirt engine management with a new manifold/plenum and EDIS dizzyless ignition. It worked even better.

If I was to build another, I would go single turbo (Holset HX35 is a nice turbo if you use an external wastegate), Megasquirt and keep the standard plenum etc. from a EFI 2.8i. Single turbo works really good, I don't think twin turbos are generally worth the hassle. It's more than double the work!

We used US low compression cast pistons, it worked very good for us up to maybe 1 bar of boost.

Gustaf

World Champion Decade Plus User caprimentle's Avatar

My 1st Project
    Thanks

how did you go about the exhuast manifold on the single turbo conversion?
    its not dead till it's buried!

T.I.T engineering. "Feel the power!"

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

On the turbo side we built a new manifold with a flange for the turbo and a flange for the "U-pipe" that connected to the other bank. Just like most single turbo V6 conversions.

In theory spool would suffer but in reality it's rarely a problem with a rather large engine like a 2.8.

/Gustaf

World Champion Decade Plus User caprimentle's Avatar

My 1st Project
    Thanks

ah o.k never really looked into single turbo v engined cars, so never seen an exhaust for one. i'll have to look it up. sounds interesting.
    its not dead till it's buried!

T.I.T engineering. "Feel the power!"

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

in most applications the difference between single and twin turbos is about the same difference between you having two five pound notes or a tenner!

twin turbos might be smaller and in theory spool better but with only half the exhaust gases to drive them you've gained nothing, for big boost applications you really need a big turbo as small ones cant handle big boost as well

i've got a book around here somewhere which goes into differences between the tickford capri turbo setup and the tt one, tickford used nice equil length tubular manifolds which mounted the turbo infront of the engine, tt used a more conventional route which retained one of the std ford manifolds with a link pipe from the other bank, intheroy the tickford setup was much better in practise there was no real difference

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

i was already thinkin obout going single because of the work and cash, mounting in front is probaly the best way for me bacause of the rare manifolds and now i can just cut the ones that are on it and weld something nice. :P
    could you make some copy s of that book dont know what the name is of the book?????

and keep on coming with that info guys!!! thanks a lot still fiddling about the megasquirt lots of different ones :S

+ Reply to Thread