User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mk2 panhard rid adjustment

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Mk2 panhard rid adjustment

Looking for some advice on fixing a rear axle movement issue on my Mk2, when turning in there is an odd feel to the rear end, almost like the axle is moving when the car starts to roll, i have panhard rod fitted and im aware that adjusting the rod angle from the adjustable chassis bracket will alter the rear roll centre which is currently quite low......my question is - will the postion / angle of the rod cause this rear end loose feel by causing lateral movement to the axe if the angle of the rod causes it to b furthr into its pivot arc thu casin more lateral movement frm the vertical??

Thanks

Mk2 panhard rid adjustment

I was told panard rod should be level under acceleration?. Have someone stand in the boot and set it level. Mind you that was a long time ago ?

Mechanic

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Re: Mk2 panhard rid adjustment

the roll center is the point where it is fixed to the axle,the adjustable chassis bracket allows you to set it level depending on ride height.
    i would be looking for movement in a joint first

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

The roll centre is the point at which the bar crosses the centre point of the axle, in my case it’s fairly low, but would the position create that axle lateral movement I feel? There’s defo no movement in anything, I’m thinking it’s more a geometry issue ??

Mechanic

Thanks

Is the rear end on equal length link bars & are they running parallel ?
    What spring rates are you running ?

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

It’s on 146 leafs and tramp bars

Mechanic

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Erikmex View Post
    The roll centre is the point at which the bar crosses the centre point of the axle, in my case it’s fairly low, but would the position create that axle lateral movement I feel? There’s defo no movement in anything, I’m thinking it’s more a geometry issue ??
    no,roll center height is the point at where the panard is fixed to the axle,if you lower the axle mounting point bracket you will lower the rear roll center.
    the bar has to be level at ride height so the lateral axle movement is the same in both directions

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Other way around, if you lower or raise the chassis tower adjustment, you will lower or raise the roll centre, if it was where the rod fixed to the axle, the roll centre would be at the extreme left or right hand side of the car, roll centre point is in the middle, look at a watts link, the centre point that its fixed to on the axle is the roll centre. watts lonk roll centre adjustment is in the mddle of the diff, panahrad rod is on the chassis tower with the roll centre being the point it crosses the centre point of the axle, you cant have a roll centre on the outside of the car.
    Last edited by Erikmex; 08-05-2019 at 14:48.

Mechanic

Thanks

I wouldn't personally fit a panhard rod kit in conjunction with leaf springs. one will move at a different rate to the other. ( how many times have we seen or read about Panhard towers ripping out of boot floors ?) enough said.
    Fit a proper A frame kit from Miltons to keep your Anti tramp & Lateral movement in check, ( 2 jobs cured in 1 fitment)
    If you already have hard nylon bushes in leaf springs, this should suffice.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Not sure what you mean one will move at a different rate to the other?? I’ve had a lot of success with that set up over the years. Works well. With a properly fitted and braced tower, there’s no issues ripping the boot floor. Learned that one years ago on a circuit car.

+ Reply to Thread