User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: air leak oil pick up line ford 2.8 v6

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

air leak oil pick up line ford 2.8 v6

Hey guys,

i have a problem with my engine. it sat for a while and now with cranking i have no oil pressure unless the pump speed is very fast. i guess i have an air leak some where in the pick up line. So it will rather suck air than oil unless the pump is on full speed. and then it is good for a while. And when sat for a while again no pressure.

I have had this problem 1 or 2 times before with an other engine.
    And i am curious what causes this! This problem only strikes me so far nobody i know had this.
    Do you have any ideas?? i was thinkig that maybe being rough with the ignition drive/module could do this?

also i talked with tickover and they said they never put a gasket between the pump and block. is this advisable to do or not?

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

Re: air leak oil pick up line ford 2.8 v6

its not clear what you are saying, how can the pump speed vary? as its driven by the camshaft so only goes as fast as the starter motor or are you trying to prime the oil pump using a drill?

theres isnt a gasket between the block and oil pump, having one would probably be a bad idea, its likely to get blown out by higher oil pressure when running with cold oil

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carbon1993 View Post
    Hey guys,

i have a problem with my engine. it sat for a while and now with cranking i have no oil pressure unless the pump speed is very fast. i guess i have an air leak some where in the pick up line. So it will rather suck air than oil unless the pump is on full speed. and then it is good for a while. And when sat for a while again no pressure.

I have had this problem 1 or 2 times before with an other engine.
    And i am curious what causes this! This problem only strikes me so far nobody i know had this.
    Do you have any ideas?? i was thinkig that maybe being rough with the ignition drive/module could do this?

also i talked with tickover and they said they never put a gasket between the pump and block. is this advisable to do or not?
    Hi Michael,
    I have found with the 2.8's that they struggle to make oil pressure with just cranking speeds only. My car has quite long periods of not being used, I don't run a oil pressure gauge but the oil light goes out very quickly when I fire up the engine, even firing it up the first time in months.
    I recently finished reworking my heads and rebuilding my rockers, I couldn't get oil to the rockers just on cranking alone. I used a drill in the end to prime the rockers. I don't think it's an air leak problem, i think cranking speeds are just too low to make a lot of oil pressure. Remember cranking speeds without the plugs would be roughly half of the idle speed.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

How long did it take for you to feel the resistance in the drill. It took me a while.. 30secinds or more. I alway remembered my car building a very tiny bit of pressure while cranking as i normally would disconnect a ignition lead before i started the car when it sat. It has a high volume melling pump and is a bit bigger.
    And i have had this problem before on my first engine just sudden no pressure and that happend in a day its not a nice hearing if you hear the rods slamming on the cramkshaft.

@Graham Yes i vary the speed with a drill. The weird thing is ford does show there is a gasket between the pump on the EFI and MFI model but not for the carb version.
    You are the second to say that it will blow out tick over said that also!

Think i will drop the sump and check the pump and replace th gasket and remove the gasket between pump and block. I rather be sure than ruin the engine.
    Last edited by carbon1993; 30-05-2019 at 10:09.

Thanks

It took a while the first time with the drill till I realised I was spinning it the wrong direction.

But when I got the direction right only took a few seconds to start loading up the drill.

Did you have to modify the oil pump or pickup to run your 2.9 crank, so the rods didn't hit it?

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

No i did not change a thing on the pump it fits but barely. Did you grinded it down?

i did found some thick sludge wit a bit of metalic sludge in it.
    I guess that hardend down and when i tried to start the engine it wouldn't pick that up
    Pump is checked and good and so the gaskets.

pump generates 4 bar but i remember that was the minimum it should deliver?

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

your unlikely to generate 4 bar pressure with a drill!

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Its a pretty big drill it creates alot of resistance and the socket snaps off really easily. But it really does generate 4bar!

+ Reply to Thread