User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pinto big valve head

Bodger

Thanks

pinto big valve head

I have the head cracked on the exhaust seat, just bought both inlet and exhaust valves, 44,5 and 38,1. So I'm looking for an head already ported and with unleaded inserts fitted.
    I've been trying to email vulcan en. and dave brooks but both didn't answer, the only option I found is burton power, do you guys know If there is an alternative?

I have a std head to exchange (to send with the new valves and HD springs) to also lower the price a bit (make no sense to pay for something I already have new).

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

Re: pinto big valve head

You might be better off trying to contact those Companies buy phone as in my experience old School don't do emails too well.

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

as a rule most companies which do cylinder heads wont be interested using parts not supplied by themselves.

regarding the email thing, im not surprised your not getting answers, its too easy for time wasters to fire off emails, im not saying you are a time waster, but an email from a guy the other side of the planet who wants to provide his own parts strongly suggests a waste of time. i get no end of messages and enquiries if i answered them all i would never get any work done

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    as a rule most companies which do cylinder heads wont be interested using parts not supplied by themselves.

regarding the email thing, im not surprised your not getting answers, its too easy for time wasters to fire off emails, im not saying you are a time waster, but an email from a guy the other side of the planet who wants to provide his own parts strongly suggests a waste of time. i get no end of messages and enquiries if i answered them all i would never get any work done
    Same here, I want to help all but you just can't help everybody. You can not believe how many emails you need to answer to sell 1 main jet!!!! And if they can finally buy them 0,20 € cheaper elsewhere, they will. (For this reason I don't sell parts at all).
    Last edited by Dyno; 03-06-2019 at 08:07.

Bodger

Thanks

Thanks, never thought from the "other side", and didn't know that this world is full of "time wasters", especially considering how dedicated you have to be and how much money you have to spend.

Fact is that to have my std head to suit big valves is 600€, plus all the work on the head. At this point it make sense to have a really good one for 1000€ or SO.
    I'll try to call but I'm not that good with english

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

You will not get a Dave Brook head for 1000 €. I think I've paid at least 3x more including the camshaft but was also several years ago. For 1000 € you will receive a cheap no power head with sugar free valves like the one Burton sells. They are usual worn out after the dyno session.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dyno For This Useful Post:

Bodger

Thanks

wow 3k in a pinto head are quite enough money, for what, 200hp in a good day?

aren't they able to have some stage? a full race head on 50 dcoe should be ported different than a fast road/rally on 44idf, and the price should be the different too.

BTW thanks to have let me know, at those prices i'm happy to be a "time waster", burton is the way for what I need, and if it will be 150hp instead of 160 it will make no big difference, even on tarmac racing.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Head modification costs - whether you carve a lot or a little, fit, for example, 42mm or 44mm valves - the labour time is virtually the same, its the knowing what bits to carve to get results, is what you pay for . . . . . but even I winced @ 3k!

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

There's no need to pay 3k for one of Brookes's heads unless you looking for the last few bhp, I am sure Vulcan or Harris can do one at a fraction of that price. Okay they may not have Brookes's high ports and independent cam towers but they should be modified to give good strong power. Don't forget to get the person that modifys your head to set the cam up for it correctly. You'd be surprised at how many tuning companies are unaware of that. It takes a lot of hrs and patience to get it right.

It's up to you how to spend your money Enea but I would NOT be going for one of those Burton things, you'd be throwing good money away. They described themselves at one time of the day as the Seal of quality, I wonder what happened to that, profit?

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

At the same time I've also bought a full race Vulcan and CNC head. They where not a "fraction" off the price of the Brook head's price. Not saying they came close but still a lot of money. You can also buy cheaper heads with big valves etc.. but quality of valves will be a lot less and porting job will not be checked step by step.

BTW, the Brook head was far from the fasted head with 185 Bhp at max (there own cam installed). Best head was Vulcan with 193 Bhp on same 2 ltr engine

Bodger

Thanks

I won't spend more than 1.5-1.6k€ for the head (without camshaft), i thought that "big" companies who does heads for living had lower prices than people like graham who has a workshop or a racing prep. garage, I'm sure that If I ask for this type of job here the price would be the same 3k that brooks charges.

I actually have no choice but spend those money on burtons, even if they're cheap and shitty, like I said I could spend a little bit more but there is no place who does heads for this type of money.

I could do it myself, but I should have the std head on big valves first, so it doesn't make sense since I would be doin it for the first time.
    Last edited by Enea; 04-06-2019 at 17:43.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

A good head does take a lot of time to build, no way out.

Second, you get a lot less quality valves and guides. I've seen them worn out after a dyno session with an aggressive cam profile. None survived a rally season.

Without cam (cam fitting, valve stem length correcting etc.) it should be possible to find a reasonable head. Not full race
    Last edited by Dyno; 04-06-2019 at 19:40.

Bodger

Thanks

I will use it on 44idf, mainly on Gravel rallyes, so I definitely don't need a full race head. Good torque between 3k and 6k is all I need.
    So no, 3k on a head is not for me. I will look for something cheaper (which Burton is), and that, here in Italy, is impossible to find.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

A good head will always make the final difference in max power but when IDF carburetors are used the max power will be low anyway. Whatever you do, they never give you the numbers as DCOE can. I guess it's because off the very short turn sending the air to the wrong side of the inlet port and the pulse tuning falling (strong pulse tuning want straight and small ports (inlet track)).

The head porting on the Burton head may be good enough for your budget, sadly, the valves are not. Try to buy the head without valves and buy quality valves like Paul Ivey (REC), Manley etc... and fit yourself in Italy.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dyno For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread