User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice - Lowering Block Set Up & Hub Leak

Bodger

Thanks

Advice - Lowering Block Set Up & Hub Leak

Hi,

I'm needing a bit of advice on my lowering block set up and oil leak on rear hubs. See pics below, I'm fairly sure the leak is not coming from the brake cylinder, seems dry around that area. Is it likely to be the shaft bearing? Leaking on both sides. Puller and Slide hammer job?

The garage told me that the block set up was missing a locking pin and iso block (which I gather people do away with). Does it look correct? Seems tied in to me, plate is bolted to dampers and spring (bolt/nut on underside).

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20190612_194346.jpg Views:	89 Size:	48.4 KB ID:	83938
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20190612_181959.jpg‎  

IMG_20190612_184039.jpg‎  

IMG_20190612_192656.jpg‎  

IMG_20190612_194320.jpg‎  

Last edited by Allanscort; 13-06-2019 at 12:46.

Bodger

Thanks

Re: Advice - Lowering Block Set Up & Hub Leak

And also if it is the bearing, what type/size is it? Or do I just need to measure up against the old one once removed? Would I need to do anything with the diff or do the shafts just slide out and back in?

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

First and foremost has your lowering block got a location pip that locates accurately into the axle case, we can't see from the photos. Any blocks I have seen have n't got the correct size location pip, it's usully a lot smaller than the hole in the axle saddle, that needs to be sleeved down if thats the case otherwise you'll never keep the U bolts tight. Whilsts you have the bolts off cut them down and clean the ends of the thread up to the appropriate size, it looks a lot neater that way.

If you are sure that it's not the rear wheel cylinders leaking then it's got to be the rear wheel bearings where the seal is incorporated. Leave the fitting of new bearings on the halfshaft to someone that's familiar with them as it's not a job for the faint hearted. Make sure the bearings are of good quality and not cheap ebay specials. You could always locate a second hand halfshaft and try.
    Last edited by Forest_rallying; 22-06-2019 at 09:04.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

The bearings are open at one side and sealed at the other so they can be lubricated by the diff oil. however, SKF do a completley sealed/ lubricated bearing which i think are better. The oil leaks are usually due to a worn casing and oil passing the outer of the bearing - a smear of RTV silicone around the bearings usually helps. The leaf spring should have a locating pin that goes into a hole in the lowering block and the block has a pin that locates into the axle spring saddle.
    Last edited by Erikmex; 22-06-2019 at 10:08.

Bodger

Thanks

Thanks guys, appreciate your comments. I'll check these out when I'm next up at the car.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

If you do change your bearings try and avoid the cheap Chinese versions with an "o" ring. Buy the best quality you can find and apply a little gasket sealant on the bearing before fitting.

+ Reply to Thread