User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 88 Transit MK3 Pinto Turbo

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

88 Transit MK3 Pinto Turbo

Been reading into pinto turbos for a while now and there is a wealth of knowledge out there, I suppose I just want to clarify because I have no experience when it comes to this kind of thing but am hoping to learn as i go. I have an 88 Transit MK3 with a 205 Pinto block in, (a 100l if anyones interested) which I am wanting to turbocharge as it will be doing a lot of towing and motorway miles so I’m looking mostly for low end grunt and (decent)fuel economy but would also like high horsepower if possible (aiming for the 280-300hp mark). I already have the sierra efi bits (minus the cylinder head) and am currently buying some secondhand YB pistons and rods and sierra 4x4 intercooler. I’m also thinking to run Megasquirt engine management.

So the questions I have are:

Do I want a high or low compression engine as I believe the low comp engine is sluggish until the turbo kicks in however a high comp engine can only run reliably on lower boost thus limiting hp ??

Is there any particular reason why YB parts are better that standard transit pistons?

With the YB pistons and rods do I also need to source a spray bar or is there a way around this?

For low end grunt would I be covered with a Fr32 cam or are there any other ways to ensure low end power?

Sorry if I’ve made any mistakes or just sound daft, am just starting out with this kinda thing.

Thanks in advance

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Re: 88 Transit MK3 Pinto Turbo

Personally i think your aiming a little high on the power scale ... id be looking at @ 220 or a bar of boost max. Low comp would be the way to go im again guessing 9.1 or along those lines and yes the YB piston will always be better as its forged and designed for forced induction.

Injector wise again stock YB yellow injectors should be ok for what your after the next ones up from there would be dark greens i think ... cam wise hands up im not sure on that but there is a towing cam out there but not sure if it suits turbocharging ... a nice big intercooler and maybe a water/meth injection as well Darkside Devolpments do a nice kit for about 360 ... go a grade colder on the plug as well and not to big on the turbo as you want low down grunt not top end stuff maybe a T3 sort of size .. anyway will wait for the Pinto Master to appear to put me right but keep us posted sounds like a cool project ...

Thanks

Megasquirt 1 will suffice for management.
    Regards,
    Kevin

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

transit pistons are not a good choice for any kind of real boost, they are low comp but have weak ringlands.

use a standard cam, fr32 isnt a good choice for a turbo and will defiantly reduce low end power.

as for piston cooling i would install a yb oil pump complete with spray bar.

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

I suggest you read up a bit on old threads if you haven't. YB rods and pistons are decent for endurance but you get really low compression unless you skim the block. I have driven an engine like that in a Capri for years and it is not great off boost in a 1250 kg car - a Transit would be worse.

I would also be a bit careful in using the turbo torque for towing...you need to map it carefully and really make sure that it is mapped to stand long pulls at max torque. The strain that will put on the engine is very different from using it in a car.

Personally I'd think a modern(ish) turbo diesel swap would be better suited for a Transit but you make your decisions :-)

Gustaf

+ Reply to Thread