User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pinto stroker torque wrench settings...

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Question Pinto stroker torque wrench settings...

Hello !

I'm here again and I hope you all are doing well.

I've got some questions about torque wrench settings. Together with my friend TS member KR54321 we are assembling Pinto stroker using diesel con rods and Cosworth YB con rod bolts and we don't know what are the proper torque wrench settings for assembling con rods. Should we use torque wrench settings for Pinto con rods, Diesel con rods or for Cosworth YB con rods ?

The second question is about proper torque wrench settings for assembling crankshaft and flywheel with ARP flywheel bolts.

The engine is supposed to run on high RPM ( 7000 and above ).

Please give me the proper numbers in Nm.

Anybody ? Mr. Graham ?

Thanks in advance.

CheeRS !

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

Pinto stroker torque wrench settings...

I’m in a field at silverstone so can’t access any torque settings until next week.
    But use the torque setting for diesel rods. ARP usually list torque settings for stuff in there online catalogs, its usually also on a bit of paper in the packet under the lube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Re: Pinto stroker torque wrench settings...

Mr. Graham,

I'm very pleased that You were so kind and replied so quick.

I'm looking forward to get the proper settings as We are supposed to take the car on the track pretty soon.

We are a bit worry about these settings because as I remeber the troque settings for diesel con rods seems to me to be a bit "loose" - it's like something about 24 to 30 Nm ( step 1 ) and further 71 to 79 degrees ( step 2 ) whereas for Pinto con rods it's about 80 Nm and about 90 Nm for Cosworth YB, but I'm not a skilled mechanic so I don' know.

I suppose that maybe 24 to 30 Nm plus 71 to 79 degrees can be hell of a torque but We didn't manage to measure it yet.

Regarding to my question about torque wrench settings for assembling crankshaft and flywheel with ARP flywheel bolts You were right. It's listed on a bit of paper in the packet under the lube.

I would also like to ask what engine oil would You recomend for such an engine ? I've read a lot about it and found that peopole use wide range of oils. Some of us use high grade minear oils ( f.e. 20W50 ) and that is what We'd been using in our previous Pinto engine ( non rebuilt bottom end, Valvoline Racing VR1 20W50 ) and some high grade synthetic oils ( f.e. even 10W60, OW50 ). What would be the optimal choice for fully rebuilt Pinto stroker ?

Thanks in advance M8s !

CheeRS !
    Last edited by J-RS; 25-07-2019 at 15:25. Reason: Oil grade - used in previous engine

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

oil demands wont really change so stick with the same 20w50 oil as before.

with the big end torques, yb, diesel and pinto all have different bolt designs, so there will be differences there. i have just re read your post, your using YB rod bolts so use the YB torque setting.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

And if its a totally fresh engine - pistons, rings, cam, bearings etc. - use the cheapest mineral 20w-50 you can find, start it and set idle at 2-2,500rpm and run for min. 20 minutes then stop and let it cool off. Check head bolt torque and tappet clearances. Next start adjust idle, drive for 30 - 50 miles moderate speeds, stop and drop oil and filter. New filter and oil 20w-50 mineral or semi synth - enjoy

+ Reply to Thread