User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Propshaft spacers !!!

Thanks

Propshaft spacers !!!

What's everyone's opinion on Prop shaft spacers ??? Never used one one but my mk2 has a T5 with a atlas with a single piece prop tha was custom made
    I would prefer it to go further Into the tail shaft it has at least 2.5 inch of the prop showing and was thinking of having another longer prop made until someone suggested a spacer !!!
    Not sure Im Keen on the idea and who sells them? A 1 inch one would do
    cheers paul

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: Propshaft spacers !!!

What's not to like against spending out for a whole new prop? I'd probably sleeve the flange and spacer through the bolt holes so bolts just used for clamping and use aluminium - why add weight unnecessarily?

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Its an additional joint in the driev train, thats why some folk dont like them

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

Do the decent thing and get either a new prop or your excisting one modified by a propshaft reconditioner.

I had a rear staked propshaft UJ come adrift on a stage Rally. The damage was a bent diff pinion, a smashed gearbox tailhousing, a bent mainshaft and various other damage including prop itself.. It's just not worth taking the risk.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Erikmex View Post
    Its an additional joint in the drive train, thats why some folk dont like them
    How is it an additional joint? The two flanges are the same just 1" apart! You could do the spacer in steel and weld it to one of the flanges then it would be identical to stock - no difference. Certainly no worse than wheel spacers which do put additional load on the studs due to the offset IMO.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Eh?? one side of the spacer is one joint, the other is another, normal prop 1 x joints, with spacer 2, thats one more addiotnal joint if my math serves me correctly. you said to make from alloy...so if you weld would you use dissimialr rods for steel to alloy? sounds tricky this mod! Have you ever tried welding alu to steel?? intermetalic compounds are possibly the weakest thing you can have in a weld
    Last edited by Erikmex; 04-08-2019 at 16:55.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

You just love being argumentative ! My understanding of your comment was an additional articulated joint not a bolted joint - that's like saying a gasket makes two joints between cases! When did I say weld alloy to steel? They were two completely different statements - if you interpreted incorrectly, not my problem!

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Argumentative? nah just going with your suggestions, you first mentioned ali then steel....bolted then welded, either way, its still an additional joint. By the time you machine a spacer, then weld it or bolt it, then get it balanced, i think you would be quicker and cheaper just getting a right sized prop, or just fit a longer UJ yolk, you can buy them easily, no neeed for any spacers! The big difference between a wheel spacer and a prop spacer is about 5000rpm ��
    Last edited by Erikmex; 04-08-2019 at 18:09.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

AS long as its machined up accurately, the ends are formed so it locates properly and probably an inch maximum i dont really see a problem, Forget any extra weight, a longer prop will be heavier..

Thanks

Cheers for replys lads �� So does anyone sell them or do I have to make one ? Cheers paul

Racer Decade Plus User wildo105e's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Propshaft spacers !!!

Personally I see both sides here but unless you can make one accurately yourself it would be easier just to get your prop modded professionally. A complete prop is only about £200 so even put a new tube on the existing one won’t cost the earth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

You can buy T5 to Atlas props off the shelf, even to have one made up isnt expensive, ive just had one made form scratch at Driveline, lightweight tube, flanges, splines, UJ's etc, balanced for 8000rpm....£220, a spacer would make it heavier, solid spacer vs hollow tube, also, for balance you would need to have the prop balanced with the spacer fitted.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Erikmex For This Useful Post:

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Sponsor

Thanks

Have a watch of this... https://youtu.be/-AQ5RY3Qh1M

The Red Mk.1 that passes the camera car (and then goes on to win) regularly hits mid 140's at the likes of Imola (147mph last year) and revs over 10k all day long. Guess what...it has a 22mm alloy spacer on the prop. Haven't had a problem with it at all.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GP4 For This Useful Post:

Racer Decade Plus User rallyrob's Avatar

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GP4 View Post
    Have a watch of this... https://youtu.be/-AQ5RY3Qh1M

The Red Mk.1 that passes the camera car (and then goes on to win) regularly hits mid 140's at the likes of Imola (147mph last year) and revs over 10k all day long. Guess what...it has a 22mm alloy spacer on the prop. Haven't had a problem with it at all.
    That's excellent, it loves a bit of cocking the inside front wheel too doesn't it...

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Sponsor

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rallyrob View Post
    That's excellent, it loves a bit of cocking the inside front wheel too doesn't it...
    Was only doing it on left hand bends...turns out the panhard rod tower had ripped the boot floor apart so the car wobbled about like a jelly, to the extent it split the fuel tank which was solid-mounted to the boot floor!! Wasn't too bad on right handers...horrendous on lefts as you can see...he's one hell of a pedaller!! BTW, the camera car is an original Broadspeed RS1600...and there was another RS1600 on the event which I'd just fully re-prepared...the 3 of them did it together...5 days across Italy, one of the best rallies on the planet.

+ Reply to Thread