User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2.0L Zetec to 2000e Gearbox

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

2.0L Zetec to 2000e Gearbox

Hi there,

I have a Mk2 Cortina S2 currently undergoing a zetec conversion. I am in Canada so the car is LHD. Everything has been sorted except the starter which I am in desperate need of. It is the last thing I need in order to get this car running. I did order one a long time from Retro-Ford but the starter solenoid hit the drag link and am needing one in a hurry now.

Any ideas of what would work? The starter sits on the inlet side of the engine. The flywheel is a 2.0L Zetec flywheel machined to take a pinto clutch. I have tried 3 different starters from my local auto parts store purely by guessing. It either happens to be a wrong tooth of the starter gear or the wrong bolt pattern.

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Hope to get this running soon.

Cheers,
    Daniel

World Champion Decade Plus User alladdin's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Re: 2.0L Zetec to 2000e Gearbox

you need a zetec / cvh starter due to distance from ringear to B/H face - or space a pinto type back 12 / 15 mm to suit. alternative is use a thicker dust/spacer plate that will take a zetec starter up under the inlet manifold?

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Would the teeth with the pinto starter work with the flywheel I have? If I could space that would out then i could manage that. Would I also be able to just space out my existing starter that came with the X-flow?

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

zetec flywheel works with dohc 8v sierra starter

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Here in the uk for a starter motor on the inlet side with a 2000e box you need a Ford Sierra DOHC Automatic starter. This puts the solenoid at the top away from the draglink. But you will still have to fettle the ali casting of the starter a little to clear the Zetec block on the top mount hole, not by much and lose the middle bolt hole of the three. I did this on my old Anglia Van conversion, 12 years on its still works albeit the van is under new ownership. I'm not sure what you'd use in the States/Canada as I doubt you had the DOHC engine in anything over there. Your best bet and I would have done this in the first place tbh, is to contact Wosp starters here in the UK and get something shipped over.
    Sorry only picture I have, Zetec to 2000e gearbox with Sierra DOHC Auto starter.
    Click image for larger version Name:	starter clearance to steer box.jpg Views:	84 Size:	60.9 KB ID:	84301

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

It`s been some time since the last post. You got the car running with the zetec engine? I`m looking for an engine upgrade this winter and the choice (at this time) is between a zetec or a N/A YB engine. As my car is also a left hand drive, i`m wondering which exhaust manifold do you fitted to clear the steering? And how do you solved the starter problem?
    Greets Mario

+ Reply to Thread