User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TCA bushes

Bodger

Thanks

TCA bushes

Hi all,

My mk2 4 door is lurching around a bit under braking. Checked the front calipers which look fine,rear brakes seem adjusted ok but the anti roll bar bushes on the tca look shagged. I'm wondering if this is contributing towards the issue. What's it like getting the old knackered rubber bushes out to replace with poly ones or am I better off getting new replacement tca arms? They look like they have been on there since 1979!

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: TCA bushes

If the TCA bushes are shot then its likely the anti roll bar mount bushes are also likely gone! You could replace with rubber bushes but they are a bit fiddly to fit. Poly bushes are a bit easier as the TCA ones are in two pieces and the mount ones can have the underside split to fit round the bar as sliding them down from the ends is a PITA!

Racer Decade Plus User rallyrob's Avatar

Thanks

If the bushes are knackered are you confident the ball joints are ok? In my experiance if the bushes are knackered then the ball joints probably are aswell. In which case it'll just be a complete new set of Tca's.

If the ball joints are okay then the old bushes are easy to get off as you can just cut them off.

Bodger

Thanks

I tried moving the wheel up and down plus side to side and no excessive play from the ball joints. I did notice a lot of forward and backwards movement from the front wheels when loosening and tightening the wheel nuts, so that made me look at the TCA rubbers which look really perished. I will probably change them to poly bush ones but wondered how hard it was getting the old rubber bushes out,or better to just replace with new TCA's. I hope the inner bolts come out too as they look like they have not moved in years!
    Last edited by Mk2Neil; 26-08-2019 at 21:03.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mk2Neil View Post
    I will probably change them to poly bush ones but wondered how hard it was getting the old rubber bushes out,or better to just replace with new TCA's. I hope the inner bolts come out too as they look like they have not moved in years!

I'd go for plenty of penetrating fluid before you start, a few days before. Once they're off you should be able to cut the old bushes out. Knock the metal sleeve out then cut the rubber, either a stanley knife or junior hack saw I'd try.
    Just a few ideas.

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

There's no need to remove the tca's if you are fitting poly bushes to the outter anti roll bar ones, if the inner x member bushes need replacing then the tca's have to be removed from the car. To do the outter ones remove the the anti roll bar from chassis brackets and tca's, you might need a long braker bar and a good impact socket to remove the tca nuts. When you have got the arb off the split pins will need to be drilled out as pre removing them will be near on impossible. You'll find the old rubber bushes should virtually fall out of the tca's when everything is removed.When fitting you new bushes make sure they are supplied with new sleeves as the old ones will require cutting off the arb. You might find that you need a ratchet strap to pull the bar in as it will spread out when removed.

Bodger

Thanks

Thanks guys,I will soak the inner bolts in penetrating oil for a few days and see if they shift, then go from there.

Thanks

Forest_rallying is correct you won't necessarilly need to remove the inner bolts to do the arb bushes...
    You can put some penetrating fluid on the arb nuts too though...

Bodger

Thanks

New poly bushes ordered plus new bolts just in case! If they wont come out at least I can remove the arb as described and ratchet strap it up. Cheers all

+ Reply to Thread