User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pinto cam timing

Bodger

Thanks

pinto cam timing

I've just installed my refreshed head with a Newman ph2 cam. set the valve clearances this afternoon and got the belt on. pulled out the dti's and mag base to dial the vernier in, only to discover my plunger dti is knackered.
    my finger dti is good. if I find true tdc, can I then just dial the vernier to get me full lift at the cam spec (110 atdc)?
    currently in the fleet, mk4 3i cabby, orion 1600e turbo, 2wrd stage 3 saph, rs1800 mk5 van, mk6 ghia X, mk6 Si, mondeo zetec S gone, 1380 mini, Rover 600Ti breaking, two S13 200sx's. GMC S15 truck, and a retro twincam Tipo..

Thanks

Re: pinto cam timing

I leave the cam followers out then set TDC cylinder 1, rotate cam to rough position, put inlet and exhaust cam followers in, set gaps then rotate cam to get inlet lift at TDC, check exhaust lift if all looks good I’ll put the cam belt
    on with loose vernier. Spanner or moke grips on camshaft to stop it moving then tension the cam belt.
    Lock the vernier re-check lift at TDC.
    Only No.1 cylinder cam rockets are on.
    If lift a TDC is ok I’ll move on the checking max lift at degrees specified by the cam manufacturer.

Rotate the cam a few times and check again.

If it all looks good I’ll put the other followers in with all pistons halfway down the bore for safety and set the valve gaps and slowly rotate the engine checking for any contact.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snapper1 View Post
    on with loose vernier. Spanner or moke grips on camshaft to stop it moving then tension the cam belt.
    Lock the vernier re-check lift at TDC.
    Why bother getting everything approximately correct, locking the cam in position and then tension the belt which will pull the vernier one way or the other - so requiring you to do the whole procedure again? Plus the engine needs to be rotated a couple of revs to work the slack out. IMO setting timing should be done on a 'ready to run' engine.

Thanks

I did not have enough info from the thread starter to establish where his starting point was.
    Was the engine at TDC
    Was the cam set to factory cam timing
    What if he fitted the belt and turned the engine.

+ Reply to Thread