User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: 4age to type 9 bellhousings........Help, I'm lost.

  1. #1
    Tyre Kicker

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    beverley
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    4age to type 9 bellhousings........Help, I'm lost.

    Evening all....I'm new to the forum but very excited to see an area for 4ages. Awesome. I'm slowly getting all the things I think I'm going to need to put one into my car( a Midget as I cannot afford an Escort just yet) and will in the coming monts I'm sure, have dozens of quiestions to ask.....and here's the first! Having already got a type 9 box, propshaft etc, which bellhousing should I buy? Raw seem to provide everything but at a price, Cambridge Motorsport seem to be reasonable and then there is Fensport option.....but which is best?
    Hope someone out there can help.
    Ed

  2. #2
    Pit Crew Decade Plus User

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,672
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked 67 Times in 67 Posts

    Re: 4age to type 9 bellhousings........Help, I'm lost.

    The one sold by Raw and Fennsport and BPJ Services seem to come from the same manufacturer.

    The Cambridge Motorsport one is made by someone else.

    The Cambridge Motorsport one has the facility to have a crank position sensor mounted on it, with when used with the appropriate flywheel will work in a very similar way to a Zetec for example. Which makes hooking up a Megajolt or any other after market management very easy.

    They are bellhousings at the end of the day.


    If you are putting it in a midget, sell the Type 9 and see if you can get a T50 box from an AE86 Corolla, much neater gearbox and bolts straight up to the 4AGE.

    That way you are getting an all ally gearbox for the price of a bellhousing and what your Type 9 is worth.

  3. #3
    Mechanic Mk1_Deano's Avatar

    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Maidstone
    Age
    33
    Posts
    554
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 45 Times in 39 Posts

    Re: 4age to type 9 bellhousings........Help, I'm lost.

    Welcome to TS!

    To be honest I dont think it matters which bellhousing you buy, they all do the same job, but heres the prices:

    RAW - 199.00 + VAT (emailed me the price list about a month ago)
    Cambridge - 255.00 + VAT
    Fensport - 270 INC VAT

    You will also need
    Bell housing bolt set
    Pressure plate to suit toyota
    Drive plate to suit ford.
    Sierra clutch fork
    Release bearing
    Spigot bearing

    I dont think enough of us 4AGE boys who have used a type 9 box have completed the conversion yet so thats all the help i can be.....well I can tell you I'm buying a RAW bellhousing

    A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life.

  4. #4
    Mechanic

    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sarf Rugeley
    Age
    47
    Posts
    584
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 45 Times in 44 Posts

    Re: 4age to type 9 bellhousings........Help, I'm lost.

    Hi and welcome,

    Both Dean and Neil give good recommendations for using the type 9 and a T50. I personally opted to go for the type 9 based on the availability and prices.
    I found it difficult to find a T50 box when I was looking (Didnt look far tho) and I believe they are hydraulic and I wanted to keep this project as simple as possible

    Get the bellhousing 240, boltset 12 and spigot bearing 8 from RAW. I got a AP Racing Pinto clutch from them too but shop around for this as Ive seen this cheaper at burton Power for example at 65 ish. Im using the fork from the capri type 9 and for piece of mind i have replaced the release bearing which is 20 from burton power.

    Pressure plate is the stock toyota item.

    Hope this helps and good luck with project
    RWD Escorts - Making the competition look like c**ts since 1968!

  5. #5
    Mechanic Mk1_Deano's Avatar

    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Maidstone
    Age
    33
    Posts
    554
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 45 Times in 39 Posts

    Re: 4age to type 9 bellhousings........Help, I'm lost.

    One thing to add on Bunta20V's comment about availability is that since the T50's only came in a few rwd toyotas, it means that if you blow the T50 box then its difficult to pick up spares or indeed a spare box at a decent price, not seen any choice of alternative ratio's either.

    Whereas with the type 9 box, they are more readily available since more cars ran this box and also seeing that reproduction type 9's are available as well they remain cheap, you can still pick up a spare box for under 100 quid, rebuild kits are available, and you also have a wide choice of ratios and uprated gearsets etc to choose from should you wish to upgrade
    Last edited by Mk1_Deano; 08-04-2011 at 15:07.

    A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life.

  6. #6
    Pit Crew Decade Plus User

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,672
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked 67 Times in 67 Posts

    Re: 4age to type 9 bellhousings........Help, I'm lost.

    You obviously havent looked, there are TRD (Toyota Racing Division) and Quaife sets for the T50.

    The point I was making was this is going in a Midget. The tunnel is small.

    A T50, if you can find one, and there are plenty about if you look. I've got 3 in my shed which werent too difficult to source, is a very nice neat gearbox and would be far better going into a midget with a hydraulic clutch than having to mess about with cable clutches etc.

    They will easily take the power of a standard 4AGE 'cos they do in a Corolla.

    Plus they ones I've got, none of them have leaked any oil, unlike the Type 9's I've got, which are just going up and up in value as they are getting harder to source.

    So by the time you've paid 75-100 for your scrap yard Type 9 and then another 275 for bellhousing and associated parts you may as well pay 250 for a T50, although I have bought them as cheap as 75 and I've never paid more than 150 for one.

    But like everything in life, you pays your money and you takes your chance

  7. #7
    Mechanic Mk1_Deano's Avatar

    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Maidstone
    Age
    33
    Posts
    554
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 45 Times in 39 Posts

    Re: 4age to type 9 bellhousings........Help, I'm lost.

    Quote Originally Posted by neilm View Post
    You obviously havent looked, there are TRD (Toyota Racing Division) and Quaife sets for the T50.

    The point I was making was this is going in a Midget. The tunnel is small.

    A T50, if you can find one, and there are plenty about if you look. I've got 3 in my shed which werent too difficult to source, is a very nice neat gearbox and would be far better going into a midget with a hydraulic clutch than having to mess about with cable clutches etc.

    They will easily take the power of a standard 4AGE 'cos they do in a Corolla.

    Plus they ones I've got, none of them have leaked any oil, unlike the Type 9's I've got, which are just going up and up in value as they are getting harder to source.

    So by the time you've paid 75-100 for your scrap yard Type 9 and then another 275 for bellhousing and associated parts you may as well pay 250 for a T50, although I have bought them as cheap as 75 and I've never paid more than 150 for one.

    But like everything in life, you pays your money and you takes your chance
    No need to get the arse, I'm making a valid point, but yes there are two sides to every story and I am very open to alternative ideas

    Indeed I have looked at gearkits for the T50 but then I looked at the prices, and I'd rather pay my 800 quid for Quaife a type 9 gearset than 1500 for a T50 TRD one, especially when looking for more power.

    Its nice to know where 3 T50's are

    I dont doubt they take the power in standard form, but if tuned for performance then there is always a risk of blowing the box whether T50 or Type 9. RetroEd with his blacktop powered mk2 escort is running a T50 and hasnt had any problems yet and hes a drifter so they do take abuse.

    I just know if i have a few type 9's about the place (one in dads mk1 ) its easy to swap the box to keep the car running at minimal cost for replacing the box.

    With regards to the midget install and that I now know it runs a hydro clutch then yes I would agree with you about utilising the T50 since it runs a hydro clutch as standard but Damage already has a type 9 and prop.

    Damage has asked about bellhousings for fitting a type 9 box so thats what I've given

    Although this does pose the question considering your view: Why are the majority of 4age escort boys going to run Type 9 over T50?

    By the way TRD stands for Toyota Racing Developments not Toyota Racing Division

    Quid Pro Quo
    Last edited by Mk1_Deano; 08-04-2011 at 19:59.

    A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life.

  8. #8
    Mechanic

    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sarf Rugeley
    Age
    47
    Posts
    584
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 45 Times in 44 Posts

    Re: 4age to type 9 bellhousings........Help, I'm lost.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mk1_Deano View Post
    No need to get the arse, I'm making a valid point, but yes there are two sides to every story and I am very open to alternative ideas

    Indeed I have looked at gearkits for the T50 but then I looked at the prices, and I'd rather pay my 800 quid for Quaife a type 9 gearset than 1500 for a T50 TRD one, especially when looking for more power.

    Its nice to know where 3 T50's are

    I dont doubt they take the power in standard form, but if tuned for performance then there is always a risk of blowing the box whether T50 or Type 9. RetroEd with his blacktop powered mk2 escort is running a T50 and hasnt had any problems yet and hes a drifter so they do take abuse.

    I just know if i have a few type 9's about the place (one in dads mk1 ) its easy to swap the box to keep the car running at minimal cost for replacing the box.

    With regards to the midget install and that I now know it runs a hydro clutch then yes I would agree with you about utilising the T50 since it runs a hydro clutch as standard but Damage already has a type 9 and prop.

    Damage has asked about bellhousings for fitting a type 9 box so thats what I've given

    Although this does pose the question considering your view: Why are the majority of 4age escort boys going to run Type 9 over T50?

    By the way TRD stands for Toyota Racing Developments not Toyota Racing Division

    Quid Pro Quo
    RWD Escorts - Making the competition look like c**ts since 1968!

  9. #9
    Tyre Kicker

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    beverley
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 4age to type 9 bellhousings........Help, I'm lost.

    Blimey, hope I've not sparked a scrap! Thankyou for your expert advice and opinions; truth be told, I bought the engine(ex MR2) with a T50 gearbox but already had a type 9 and shortened prop and all the bits necessary to fit the box to the car - the type 9 is a popular uprate amongst Midget lovers(!). Ergo, I sold the box and effectively got the engine for free. Result.
    Am I dreaming or have I heard/seen somewhere that the sierra type release arm can be made hydraulic?
    Off to France now, so I'll have to wait for your thoughts, but thanks one again for those already received.
    Ed

  10. #10
    Pit Crew Decade Plus User

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,672
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked 67 Times in 67 Posts

    Re: 4age to type 9 bellhousings........Help, I'm lost.

    Damage

    You could use an Anglia bellhousing with a Mexico Clutch Slave cylinder and Milton Type 9 adaptor plate.

    This will give you a nice neat bellhousing with a hydraulic option for not alot of money, and again, perhaps better suited to your midget than the bigger Type 9 bellhousing.

    Plus everything is available off the shelf so its a nice bolt in job.

    We already do this for our Anglia customers.

  11. #11
    Pit Crew Decade Plus User

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,672
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked 67 Times in 67 Posts

    Re: 4age to type 9 bellhousings........Help, I'm lost.

    MkI Deano
    I am not getting the arse.

    But when people giving advice give the impression there are no alternative ratios available, when clearly there are, it doesnt help anyone, because people read your reply then believe that to be the case. When its not.

    Many people go Type 9 because they dont know any better.

    They all believe that T50's are the holy grail and impossible to get hold of and think that the Type 9 is an easy solution.

    Which for some will be the case, especially in an Escort when you have a tunnel big enough to take one, gearbox mounts readily available, props readily available and the car has a cable clutch which is what the aftermarket bellhousings are designed to use.

    But in a midget, a car with a small tunnel and a hydraulic clutch the T50 makes more sense.

    That said we have Anglia people running with one of our adaptor plates on a Corolla bellhousing and using their original 2000E boxes so there is more than one way to spin the rear wheels.

  12. #12
    Tyre Kicker

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Devon
    Age
    47
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 4age to type 9 bellhousings........Help, I'm lost.

    I'm running a type 9 box in my 4AGE engined Anglia, I got my bellhousing from Fensport and I am using a concentric hydraulic clutch bearing setup so no release arm. I'm using the Toyota 4AGE pressure plate and the centre plate said on the box it was a Zephyr one. I tried various different size clutch centre plates before I found one that was suitable. My bellhousing keeps the gearbox mounted level but the engine 'canted' over as per original Toyota fitment when engine and box are mated together.

  13. #13
    Tyre Kicker

    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Location
    Wimborne
    Age
    53
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 4age to type 9 bellhousings........Help, I'm lost.

    Quote Originally Posted by Romany View Post
    I'm running a type 9 box in my 4AGE engined Anglia, I got my bellhousing from Fensport and I am using a concentric hydraulic clutch bearing setup so no release arm. I'm using the Toyota 4AGE pressure plate and the centre plate said on the box it was a Zephyr one. I tried various different size clutch centre plates before I found one that was suitable. My bellhousing keeps the gearbox mounted level but the engine 'canted' over as per original Toyota fitment when engine and box are mated together.
    What clutch release bearing do you use, I am rebuilding a Raw Striker 20 valve with type 9 but the clutch is siezed and I need to replace?

  14. #14
    Bodger

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oxfordshire
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Re: 4age to type 9 bellhousings........Help, I'm lost.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
    What clutch release bearing do you use, I am rebuilding a Raw Striker 20 valve with type 9 but the clutch is siezed and I need to replace?
    I use a Toyota AE86 release bearing.

  15. #15
    Tyre Kicker

    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Location
    Wimborne
    Age
    53
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 4age to type 9 bellhousings........Help, I'm lost.

    Thanks but it is a concentric slave cylinder not external slave cylinder like the ae86

  16. #16
    Tyre Kicker

    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Location
    Wimborne
    Age
    53
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 4age to type 9 bellhousings........Help, I'm lost.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
    Thanks but it is a concentric slave cylinder not external slave cylinder like the ae86
    I need to replace a concentric clutch slave cylinder not a normal fork type , any ideas, been a nightmare trying to identify it

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts