User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: St170 Megasquirt 2 help

Thanks

St170 Megasquirt 2 help

Ok so i am at the point in my build where its coming down to the ecu portion. Now i am looking into megasquirt 2 and would prefer to go with the diy kit route since budget. Ive been reading diyautotune.com how to zetec portion and am getting confused there especially with the edis section. I am pretty new to ford motors but im pretty sure the st170 does not have edis since it has a cam position sensor and from what i read edis was for early zetec motors that didnt have a cps, correct me if im wrong. So essentially what im asking is what all do i need or need to do to get megasquirt to work, i would be running it in parallel with the stock ecu. Im over in the states and no one here goes this route and is of no help, all i ever get is just go with sct flasher and then buy their program which i do not want. I know alot of you guys over the pond have more knowledge with these motors so any help would be appreciated.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Re: St170 Megasquirt 2 help

You dont need edis, and would recommend you dont use it. You can use the standard ford crank sensor and builtd in coil drivers to the ecu.

However, a megasquirt 2 is the wrong ecu to use with an st170 motor as it cannto control the vvt correctly.

World Champion Decade Plus User alladdin's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

im not sure whyyou would want to try and run in parrallel to stock ecu ? ms2 is a standalone unit that replaces stock unit. as above you would need a seperate vvc controller or use a ecu that does it all. unless your using a vvc delete kit of course which you can then just ignore cam sensor and use ms2 but power is better with vvc enabled i believe.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

I'm no Megasquirt expert but my understanding is the 'earlier' versions only run batch fire / wasted spark ie. two channels so a cam sensor is redundant anyway. And I don't think even the later 'Pro' version will run VVT correctly even though they are fully sequential - and a lot of money compared to say, Emerald that will do it correctly! If you have a tight & DIY budget may I suggest looking at 'Speeduino' - can be home built, relies on Arduino 256 for processing (cheap) and is modern . . . https://speeduino.com/shop/index.php

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Sometimes the cheapest solution is not buying the cheapest solution. Think OP will probably be better finding a tuner they are happy with and using the system they recommend for his build. Initial outlay may be higher but in the long term likely far cheaper!

+ Reply to Thread