User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pinto Turbo Help Needed

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Pinto Turbo Help Needed

Hi All

As the title states, I need help on my Pinto Turbo build.

My plan is to run a long rod setup, however I am struggling to find a off the shelf kit to use.

I want to use a 136mm conrod, but cannot seem to find a suitable piston with the correct CR for turbo setup.

Has anyone done this or know of someone or where to find a suitable kit to use.

Cheers

Racer Decade Plus User Joe-Tait's Avatar

Thanks

Re: Pinto Turbo Help Needed

Pec Automotive do long rods 136mm and they will probably offer you a Wossner piston that will then need machining down to your desired spec

www.steelconrods.co.uk
    Screaming 1300 mexico rep

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c139/gsijoe/untitled-21.jpg

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyMk2 View Post
    Hi All

As the title states, I need help on my Pinto Turbo build.

My plan is to run a long rod setup, however I am struggling to find a off the shelf kit to use.

I want to use a 136mm conrod, but cannot seem to find a suitable piston with the correct CR for turbo setup.

Has anyone done this or know of someone or where to find a suitable kit to use.

Cheers
    short answer is you wont find anything off the shelf!

cant help but think you are trying to reinvent the wheel here, why long rod/ you dont need them! when cosworth made the turbo yb, they could of made it practically any rod length they wanted but they chose a mere 1.5mm longer than std pinto

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Use a cossie length rod and suitable pistons to achieve your desired compression ratio.

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

thing is everyone is jumping on the long rod band wagon, but its not necessarily a good thing, yes theres reduced angularity in rod angle, longer rods also slow down piston acceleration, but that is what sucks the air charge into the engine in the first place, so slowing the piston can reduce cylinder filling particularly lower down the rev range, probably even more so on a head with poor breathing

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

When I built my latest engine (also a Pinto turbo) some years ago, I went for custom made pistons instead, using DP.

The price difference was not that great compared to getting off the shelf parts that are not suitable. So if you still want to go down the long rod route, price up some custom pistons. You may be surprised.

Gustaf

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Pinto Turbo Help Needed

Thanks all for your inputs. I see where you coming from, and think I will have to re-evaluate my build.

Cheers

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

Either way I don't think the rod length is going to make any difference to performance with a Turbo engine, it's just about finging the correct piston and rod package for your application. Piston machining make be required anyway. I can't see how piston manufacturers can say what compression any given engine can be because they have no way of knowing what an engines combustion chamber and head gasket volume is unless they have a crystal ball.

As mention by the Duck you can't beat a good set of Cosworth YB rods if you can obtain any. I have used Holbays rod in the past in a NA Cosworth and they were very good quality, the length was 5.250 inches and they used BDA size pins for the pistons.

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

Either way I don't think the rod length is going to make any difference to performance with a Turbo engine, it's just about finging the correct piston and rod package for your application. Piston machining make be required anyway. I can't see how piston manufacturers can say what compression any given engine can be because they have no way of knowing what an engines combustion chamber and head gasket volume is unless they have a crystal ball.

As mention by the Duck you can't beat a good set of Cosworth YB rods if you can obtain any. I have used Holbays rod in the past in a NA Cosworth and they were very good quality, the length was 5.250 inches and they used BDA size pins for the pistons.

+ Reply to Thread