User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ECU and Brake help - SKoda Octavia MK1 4wd

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Question ECU and Brake help - SKoda Octavia MK1 4wd

Hello all, I know this seems to be a ford forum but it would seem that no matter where i go for help i cant get it so trying here.

This is going to unfortunately be a long post so please bear with me.

I have a Skoda Octavia 1.8 20V turbo 4wd (Haldex System) that I am making into a rally-spec, road legal car that can also be used as a track car, maybe even a race car should I go down that route (trying to make everything race legal at the same time)

So far the engine specs will be as follows:

1.8 20V turbo engine
    Stroked with forged pistons
    forged con rods
    Uprated valves and springs
    Supertech valve stem seals
    manganese bronze valve guides
    New oil pick up and pump
    New water pump and cambelt
    OE spec gaskets
    new intake manifold

Hemi 80mm throttle body
    vr6 3" MAF housing and sensor to suit
    FMIC
    Mamba GTX2871 turbo with custom exhaust manifold
    External wastegate
    Adjustable fuel pressure regulator

Aluminium fuel rail
    Bosch 850cc Injectors
    Cold air intake
    Remote oil cooler
    Race radiator

Going to get an Oil catch can for the breathers, Swirl tank as well for the fuel system.

I spoke with a very reputable engine turner where I have the car based that does a lot of race cars and he suggested the ME442 ECU, just for comparison, is there any other ECU's out there that would be as good (allowing all sensors to work with it and different power maps to be installed)? Also anyone selling one second hand?

I want to remove the front Airbags, resistor delete or completely remove (how would the MOT be done on this as it will be a road legal car but also be able to be used on the track)?

Removing the ABS system. do I just run braided lines and would it be best to have new pedal box with adjustable brake bias or keep it like standard with the diagonal wheels braked for "safety", I will be installing a hydraulic handbrake as well.

Does anyone advise going down the dog box with h pattern to sequential pattern shifter? I found a few manufactures of the shifter but it is expensive for what it is on top of the LSD's and Dog gears, Anyone selling anything like this? Needs to be the 02M compatible VW gearbox with the quattro transfer box.

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

Re: ECU and Brake help - SKoda Octavia MK1 4wd

no self respecting competitive rally car has a diagonal split on the brake circuit, although not impossible its also difficult to have a hydraulic handbrake with a diagonal split you would need a double or tandem handbrake master.

air bags and mot are easy here a quote from the mot testers manual

a car converted for competition rally use must have the rear seats removed, be fitted with a roll cage and full harness seat belts, may not be fitted with components such as brake servo, power steering or airbags

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

If you are intending to go and do Stage Rallies you'll need a 34mm air restrictor fitted to the Turbo. As for the dog and sequential idea, save your money and try the std box to start with.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    no self respecting competitive rally car has a diagonal split on the brake circuit, although not impossible its also difficult to have a hydraulic handbrake with a diagonal split you would need a double or tandem handbrake master.

air bags and mot are easy here a quote from the mot testers manual
    thank you, that is perfect. I was thinking of going diagonal but then the more research and reading into things I did, the front, rear split was better.

Also thank you about the airbags, that is the one bit of info I could not find in relation to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest_rallying View Post
    If you are intending to go and do Stage Rallies you'll need a 34mm air restrictor fitted to the Turbo. As for the dog and sequential idea, save your money and try the std box to start with.
    I will have a look at the air restrictors, I will also save my money for now as well, thank you.

+ Reply to Thread