User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Torque for wheel bearings - Fully floating Atlas hub

Pit Crew Decade Plus User para144's Avatar

Thanks

Torque for wheel bearings - Fully floating Atlas hub

Does anyone know the recommended Torque for rear wheel bearings in a twin taper fully floating Atlas hub?

I have had a search around the forum but no joy so far.
    Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Torque for wheel bearings - Fully floating Atlas hub

This is the advice I had from Tom: FOSSIE on here.

Hub locking rings - they really don't need to be tight - what I do is wind the nut up with DRY bearings (prior to grease until I just eliminate end float (bit like you do with a front hub really), mark it up with a pen, then once the grease is in you just put the nut on to your pen line... My guess is you've already greased them? In which case just try your best to get rid of any play. I know tapered bearings need a little preload, but these are going to get hot - I'd rather have a tiny bit of play than they seize. I guess the proper method would be to use a solid spacer between them... If you grab the wheel studs in your hand, you should be able to turn it over fairly easily... light to moderate hand pressure. If you have the grip the studs tight in order to turn the hub over, you've probably over-done the lock nut.

No need for loctite, in fact I'd make sure there was grease on the threads - less change of galling/sticking when hot. Just make sure you do the pinch bolt up properly. Little tip: grease the threads on the pinch bolt too, otherwise it kind of jumps, and will feel tight when it's not.

Oh, last tip, don't use any silicone on the o-ring carrier or o-ring - you'll never get them out!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to genRS2000 For This Useful Post:

Pit Crew Decade Plus User para144's Avatar

Thanks

Re: Torque for wheel bearings - Fully floating Atlas hub

By the way, handiest & cheapish place I found genuine Timken bearings for fully floating hub was ..... RS Components for £22.34 + VAT each.
    Free delivery next day, also bought the inner shaft seals too for £5.77 for a pack of five.

Taper Roller Bearing Timken 50.00x82.00x21.50mm
    Stock no.: 1347444

Nitrile oil seal,28x40x7mm
    Stock no.: 2119033
    Qty: 5

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/rolle...d%22%3Atrue%7D

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to para144 For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread