User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: T9 Gearbox temperature sender

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

T9 Gearbox temperature sender

Hi,
    i´m for some infos how and where to fit the temperature sender unit at my T9 5-SPeed Gearbox. Does anybody do this before?

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Re: T9 Gearbox temperature sender

Did anyone else do this before... sounds better

Racer Decade Plus User rallyrob's Avatar

Thanks

I don't know of anyone that ever has..

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skmotorsport View Post
    Hi,
    i´m for some infos how and where to fit the temperature sender unit at my T9 5-SPeed Gearbox. Does anybody do this before?
    Have to ask why? And what are you going to do with the info if you do fit one? Who knows the temp spec's so could be too cool or too hot .............. then how to cool it?

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

In fact it is just for optical reasons. I don´t wanna build a competition car, so the gear box oil will never reach it´s limits. But in fact I build MY own car with my visions how it shold look inside and outside.
    Thats why I want to use 3 instead of two instruments in the center console!

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_4439.JPG Views:	41 Size:	124.1 KB ID:	84768 Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_4443.JPG Views:	41 Size:	114.7 KB ID:	84769

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_4445.JPG Views:	42 Size:	135.4 KB ID:	84770 Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_4446.JPG Views:	42 Size:	126.7 KB ID:	84771

So in fact I will be the first crazy german ever who will do it...why not!

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Wouldn't engine oil temperature be of more use? - and you still keep your 3 dials!

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

The 3 extra Dials are Oil Temperature / Battery Voltage and if it works, Gearbox Oil Temperature.
    I have the RS Dash were the Oil pressure, coolant temp an fuel is in.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

I found theese pictures in a MGA Forum! How to fit an Sump plug! I could use it for both! Sensor hole and drain Plug!

Click image for larger version Name:	Oil drain hole.jpg Views:	39 Size:	30.2 KB ID:	84772 Click image for larger version Name:	Drain plug.jpg Views:	39 Size:	26.6 KB ID:	84773

With the car raised, drill a pilot hole (2mm drill will do as its into aluminium) in the position shown. You can happily drill through the case to about 2.5cm depth without fear of hitting any of the gears. The casing is probably about 1cm thick in this area and has an internal flange behind so I am told. Allow the oil to drain. This could take an hour or so with the small pilot hole. You could of course enlargen it at this stage but the drill will spray oil when turning. One point to consider is the swarf. Drill at low speed and remove frequently to wipe the swarf off.Once the oil has drained enlargen the hole to a suitable size for an appropriate tap. Tap the hole. Proceed with care and remove frequently to remove the swarf. Smooth off the casting lip if it is likely to foul the bolt head. Fit the bolt and washer (shorten if necessary to about 1.5cm thread depth, although I don't think the length is critical). Do not overtighten as it's only an alloy casing.Refill with SAE 75-90 semi synthetic oil. The filler hole is on the left side of the gearbox about 15cm forward of the new sump plug. Fill a squeezy bottle with the oil. Attach a plastic pipe, locating the other end in the hole. Squeeze the oil in uphill until oil drains out of the hole. The gearbox will take up to 1.9L oil maximum

+ Reply to Thread