Thread: Transit MK2 Zetec 2.0

Bodger

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Transit MK2 Zetec 2.0

Heyhey

Got this Transshit as daily driver / "semi"project van for 4 years now.
    Ive done quite alot of the modifications already in past few months, and im going trying to provide simple pictures as much as possible about what is needed for the swap, as theres alot of false information on the net about zetec conversion that only makes confused.

Model 1982 Transit 100L, ex. military ambulance (2.0L Pinto, 4-Spd from factory)

When i bought the van, i immediately swapped an slightly modified Pinto EFI + Type9, which had been working without problems so far.

Sadly the pinto started to smoke abit, so its was time to replace the engine into something newer and reliable unit. I've had this 2.0 blacktop zetec in my stash for many years waiting to be put on something, so why not on this.

Pinto out:

Engine is from a 2004 Focus, 2.0 Blacktop Zetec

Exhaust manifold swapped into mondeo mk2 one, ill keep the focus manifold for later use:

Bought the engine mount plates that bolts to block from ebay, since they were cheap and theyre annoying to make (IMO). Rubbers are from volvo 240.

Made the Jig for oil pan (I'ts not even needed to modify it in this shell, as theres nothing under that could hit it, but who knows, if i need to swap the engine into another car in future, then its a straight fit)

Same goes for the thermostat housing, no need to make water rail, plenty of room back there:

Im going tp use pinto alternator, so i dont have to rewire anything, plug goes straight on as before. Only mounting plate needs to be done and somekind of tensioner "thing"

Took the pulley off zetec alternator and fitted on pinto alternator, straight fit:

Removed aircon & powersteering pumps, rerouted the ancillary drive belt:
    Picked up an extra pulley bolt from another engine from scrapyard, bought a new pulley and made the bracket for them:

Next thing would be the clutch, I have the 2.0 focus flywheel that came with this engine and a 1.8 silvertop flywheel:
    Since this is a heavy van, so i think ill go with the 2.0 flywheel, as theres no need for fast revving engine. Next thing would be to sort out the parts needed for clutch:

Gearbox is Type 9 from a Sierra iS (Yes and before you wonder how this works on a transit as the gearlever is in totally different place, i fitted a cable shifter like this:

The bicycle handle pulls gear lever down for reverse, and the shifter itself moves the stick forward/sideways. Theres a T9 short shift kit installed aswell bought from ebay on the gearbox end. Cableshifter is from a hyundai sonata gen.4 from around ~2000

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: Transit MK2 Zetec 2.0

Very ingenious!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to katana For This Useful Post:

Bodger

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Part II The Clutch

Since this is a transit, i have the clutch release bearing already. A leftover part that luckily i hadnt thrown away: P/n INA: F-209352 or also known as CCT303

Fork: http://www.fordopedia.org/parts-cata...ber/71BB7541KA

Zetec 2.0 Friction plate = Straight fit:

Unfortunately its broken so need to buy a new clutch kit:

New ARP bolts

2.0 flywheel & pressure plate in bellhousing, doesnt hit anything:

Fork travel looks ok to me

Trial fitted:
    Last edited by Works; 11-12-2019 at 19:38.

Racer Decade Plus User rallyrob's Avatar

Thanks

Is a type 9 strong enough for towing in a Transit? I though't they used a variation of an MT75 box which is slightly stronger than a type 9 isn't it?

But then I suppose it's not a YBT in Transit which one of my old mates did years ago.
    Last edited by rallyrob; 12-12-2019 at 01:21.

Bodger

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Yeah, all in all mt75 might be slightly stronger box than T9. Manual tells 100L weighs 1750kg
    I mostly drive the van empty, but sure sometimes had some heavy loads aswell, which the T9 & pinto clutch could handle for 4 years, so i im not concerned. (the engine and box i had in this is now in a sierra and still going every day)
    Also a new propshaft had to be made few years ago which was expensive as ****, so thats another reason i dont want to swap mt-75, as it isnt a straight fit.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

T9 with the gearlever position up on the main housing were fitted in mk3 Transits for a very short time, about a year or so. They had a habit of snapping the mainshafts I believe, so were quickly replaced by the stronger MT box.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Picture of a transit T9 here and says fitted for two years. https://www.transitcenter.uk/gearbox...pe-p-4312.html

Bodger

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

@Ken B
    Yep, believe me, i've tried to source one without luck. MT-75 aswell seems to be rare or way overpriced here, thats the main reason i put a normal T9 box in it. T9:s usually go for 50-100€ in here, so not much of a big deal if it breaks.
    4spd that was in it originally, didnt look much stonger than t9 either.

240mm clutch kit ordered from uk yesterday. Hope it gets here before christmas, so i can put it together and throw the engine in on holidays and start working on the engine management/wiring.

Got to source a new radiator, with both inlet/outlet on the drivers side/exhaust side. Been looking for some pug/citroen/fiat ducato van rad or vw bora/golf, something on the budget side. any more suggestions?

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

I had a Ex German Mk1 Fire Transit a few years back and collected many of the parts to do a Zetec conversion myself, including a Transit T9 box. I knew there had been issues with the boxes, but the Transit forum i was on at the time said to use a MT because the T9 did break frequently. I found a MT box from the 2 dohc transit which had normal sized bellhousing but with g/lever in the right place, but alas the project stalled for other reasons and i sold everything off. I can appreciate how hard it is to find parts now as mk3 Transits here are getting rare.

Your van having the longer front, means its a bit easier to fit stuff in. I had intended to use a Polo radiator (cant remember which model though) with separate header tank, as that was a common thing to use on Zetec conversions in the cars here. they seem quite efficient as I used one in my Anglia Van with a zetec.

Bodger

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Clutch kit got in 3 days from uk to finland, but then its been sitting still in some storage now for 3 days... Dont we just have a great postal service. *Sigh*

While waiting for it to arrive, i did some trial fitting of dirt plates between engine and gearbox. I had 1.6 & 2.0 Pinto and 1.8 silvertop & 2.0 blacktop zetec dirt plates, none of them will fit without modding.
    I ended up cutting&modding the 1.6 pinto dirt plate, as that i most likely will need for anything. Starter is slighly higher than in 2.0, so that needed to cut & weld lower and add few blanking plates near starter:
    Work in progress:

Thought that this would also be good time to paint the engine bay, so i started rubbing it with some brake cleaner: Left side done, right how it was.
    This was a surprise (a good one for once) that its in so good shape. Whole engine bay has been sprayed with oil as new i think, thats why its still in so good shape.

I've been looking for different rad dimensions, but didn't find anything else that beats the polo rad in price/size
    It costs around 30€ as new, so i think ill go with that too then as suggested. Thanks

Saw while ago two mk2:s on nearby scrapyard. Another one is 2.0 pinto with automatic gearbox, that would be cool to fit, as theres probably not many of those around?

Bodger

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Almost gave up hope of receiving the clutch in time as tracking showed, that it had went 150km at opposite direction, where it was supposed, but finaly it arrived today:
    Just noticed comparing them that the old one is most likely 228mm. The one i ordered is 240mm, but it bolts straight up on the flywheel anyway:

Dirt plate done

flywheel & clutch bolted on:

Gearbox slightly cleaned with angle grinder and bolted on with few bolts (Got to get more tomorrow as i dont have any more m10 bolts left)

Package ready to be lifted in:

Ill paint the gearbox tomorrow and clean the rest of enginebay, before ill lift the package in.
    Next would be to source a starter.

World Champion Decade Plus User alladdin's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

great job

Bodger

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Clutch on & gearbox painted:

I didint mean to paint the engine bay, but did it anyway today (white hammerite):

Also fixed one small thing i had forgotten:

Im using the original 4 spd gearbox mount and had a piece of rubber between T9 and that crossmember before to prevent them hitting eachother when driving over potholes etc.
    Few extra cm should fix the problem.
    Paint takes atleast 3 days to dry as its so cold (+2C) but got 4 other project cars to do while waiting

Thanks

interesting project....would like to see how this progresses

Bodger

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Trying to get this finished by next summer, so this will have first priority. Trying to update this aswell as much i can.

The engine is in now:

Had to shave inlet manifold abit more as it hit the firewall. It's still quite close, about 10mm gap between. Theres not much material left to take off it anymore.
    Been looking for an HO inlet manifold, but theyre so rare that i have to go with this plastic one for now.

Think the crossmember went spot on:

Then i had some brainfart, i didnt think about cluch cable when i welded exhaust manifold and now its in the way.

I had some cables stashed but none will fit directly as transit has abit different end at pedal end (at bottom):

Longest one i had is perfect in lenght (127cm) but pedal end wont fit.

Either way i cut exhaust manifold again and use the transit cable, or modify longest cable end or source/buy longer cable that fits
    Last edited by Works; 27-12-2019 at 18:49.

Bodger

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Shortened the exhaust abit, which seem to work just fine with the original clutch cable,
    also lambda is now located in much better place, alot easier to reach if theres a need to swap it etc.

Then abit of playing around with an idea:

Well maybe later...

Bodger

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Started today working on electrics, or actually i have started making it some months ago already, wiring is mostly done already.

Going to wire the ecu on engine bay side first, until i get it running, and after that moving it into glove box.

Ill use an 1993 mondeo mk1 silvertop non-pats ecu 93BB-12A650-EE / DEWY rather than focus/blacktop/pats ecu to keep it simple.

I wonder if this will work, since theres mixed sensors from both engines? ECU & MAF is from silvertop, rest is blacktop

Anyway going to use pinouts from this guide, probably closest for this ecu i have: https://www.projectbobcat.com/guides...eo-ecu-pin-out
    If this ecu is not going to work, plan b: ill hook an megasquirt ms1, that i have stored.

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

keep the updated coming

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Is it not possible to tilt the engine a little bit or move the whole package a bit to the left to get more clearence for the inlet manifold? Looks to be plenty of room on the other side.

Bodger

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

@alladdin Sure will, if theres anyone interested in reading it.

@Matte

Silvertop aluminium SO/HO inlet manifold would give more clearance without modding anything, that was what i planned in the first place, but finding one was not so easy...
    Also hammering or cutting the firewall could easily give an few extra cm more room as there's nothing on the backside, though it wouldnt look pretty.

I measured from gearbox end to crossmembers and centered crankshaft in accordingly where the engine sits now. The whole package is offset ~9cm on right side. I'm keeping the original location to prevent weird angles in propshaft.

Tilting would be possible, if i wouldn't already had made the oilpan straight. Original sump would work perfect with engine tilted abit, but i already made the jig from it and im not so keen in sourcing new one.
    If anyone thinking to do this swap, id recommend to go with the zetec oilpan.
    Last edited by Works; 30-12-2019 at 06:46.

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

a few degrees tilt will have zero impact on the sump/oil pickup

Bodger

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    a few degrees tilt will have zero impact on the sump/oil pickup
    Yep, about this much of angle gives ~40mm clearance and wouldnt need to shave the inlet manifold:

But gearbox mount would probably need some modding then.
    Ill go as it is for now.

Bodger

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Got most of the wiring done now. Looking messy atm, but going to get it started first and checking everything is working before i hide the wires.

On the MAF theres still is a ? for the first 2 wires from left: A (Green/Red) = +12V? and C (Black/Orange) = Ground? Can anyone confirm these?

Got new fuel hoses and ordered new radiator & thermostat housing, they should be here in few days.

Bodger

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Found the info on for maf myself. Going to solder the last wires today.

93BB-12B579-BA pinout :
    A = +12V | B = Empty (If exist, then IAT | C = Ground | D = Signal Return - Bn/Bl To Ecu Pin 9 | E = Signal - White/Blue To Ecu pin 50

Getting close to firing it up, yay

Bodger

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Radiator mounting done, took about an hour and half to scratch head how to perform the task and execute it. Not so pretty, but does the job and didnt cost anything.

Drilled welds off the original mounts from front panel, and spot welded them abit wider:

Then i cut original radiator and took mounting plates off it.
    Had some scrap tube with inner diameter of 22mm, and leftover rubber hose from probably a heater matrix, that has outer diameter about 23mm.
    Welded the pipes on original radiator mounts and insterted hoses as bushings:

Test fitted, it bolts on the original mounting holes:

Ill finish the mounting plate edges and paint the front end and mounts some another day when its warmer.

Radiator is from a VW Golf MK4 (also Audi A3/Seat Leon) 1.6/1.8T/1.9TDI Etc.
    Dimensions [mm]: 650-415-25
    Less than ~50€ inc. shipping

Ill go looking for fans and inlet/outlets for the rad from a scrapyard some day.

Bodger

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Got things done forward again in the weekend.
    New thermostat housing arrived and bolted on. Fuel lines and alternator tensioner are done. (Bracket is made from some scrap metal found lying around ofc)

Swapped pulley from old alternator, which i used to test fit things to new one: (both are pinto alternators, pulley from zetec)

Bodger

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Did water pipe today of stuff i had lying around:

And bought new spark plugs.

Still need to find spark plug leads, which needs to be custom lenght as the coil pack is not at back of the engine anymore.

Bodger

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Half of exhaust done, just need to get some straight 2" pipe and make it go under propshaft and exit from right side.

Hmm, should i use the blacktop cover or polish the silvertop one? (or paint it, with what?)

And some setback aswell as i poured oil in the engine, and surprise: the oil pan is leaking between gearbox and engine (not much, but still its leaking.)

Fuel lines and exhaust mount:

Got mk5 front axle waiting for install aswell, after i get this engine running:

Bodger

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Got the starter (sierra dohc) and bolted it on. (had to hammer the oil pan a bit and it started leaking even more.
    At this point im not even going to try fixing it. Going to get another zetec oilpan and bolt it on.)

Started modifying throttle cable mount. Cable is from a sierra mk1 (1.6 pinto) FKA1017

As for the electrics, atleast fuel pump is priming as it should, when key is turned and no smoke is to be seen, so thats a positive sign.
    Still missing IAT sensor and plug for it, need to find those including the oil pan, before i can try starting.
    Last edited by Works; 20-01-2020 at 08:28.

Bodger

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

And we have some smoke Going abit rough, but it idles on its own.
    https://vimeo.com/386434558

Going to scrapyard next weekend to salvage silvertop sensors and rest of missing parts (oilpan etc).

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

33. The Following User Says Thank You to alladdin For This Useful Post:

Spanner Monkey Turbosport Subscriber

Thanks

Brilliant

35. The Following User Says Thank You to donnie For This Useful Post:

Bodger

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Had a fast raid to the scrapyard and looted an 1.8 105ps escort, got all the zetec parts, but didnt had time to get everything i needed.
    Very reasonable prices aswell 40e for all:

Unfortunately not an HO inlet but took it anyway, probably going to save it for later use.

While i couldnt do anything without needed parts, i finished megasquirt harness for the engine.
    Trying to start it on ms aswell after i get oil to hold inside the engine.
    Last edited by Works; 28-01-2020 at 18:01.

Thanks

Thats a steal, the sumps go for more than that all the time! Lucky to find an Escort too, i never see them when i go looking

Bodger

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by haz87 View Post
    Thats a steal, the sumps go for more than that all the time! Lucky to find an Escort too, i never see them when i go looking
    Yeah, just few years ago there were piles of escorts, fiestas & mondeos, but havent seen any of those in a while either. Guess most of them are pressed into tuna cans by now.

Been fiddling with the oil pan for few days now, and it wasnt exactly a straightforward 10min job to swap the oil sump, as i first thought.
    Dirt plate had to be cut in half, as it was so tight fit that i couldnt get old oil sump off, without removing the dirt plate first.
    Ofcource exhaust side had the gearbox centering pin going through the plate also, so i had to separate gearbox from engine aswell to get the plate out of there.

Then had to cut the escort sump rear end off and shave slightly stuff out from dirt plate aswell, as the alloy pan is alot thicker.

Should be easier to remove those in future, if theres need.

Installed silvertop sensors, Now it starts immediately and running way better.
    https://vimeo.com/388700369

Also got it running on megasquirt, just for personal interest. Maybe swapping it later.
    Last edited by Works; 01-02-2020 at 17:22.

Bodger

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Wiring is done, Maybe finishing it up with some wire sock after its in the van again. Trying to make a simple wiring guide later.

Then tried the silvertop inlet on the engine and i dont think im going back for the plastic blacktop inlet anymore. Alloy one is so much more user friendly than the plastic one.
    Plenty more clearance at firewall, way better access to starter and IAC valve, and basically a lot easier to work on everything on inlet side of the engine.
    But theres also few downsides aswell: Alloy inlet looks more restrictive what goes to flow and then side feed injectors, as theyre not so easy to find.

Blacktop throttlebody is much larger than the silvertop, so i fitted that, hole needed to be grinded few mm bigger, bolt pattern is same, so otherwise bolt-on stuff.
    Gave the parts a clean and going to paint inlet manifold later.

Got all these spare parts to fiddle around:
    Left: Silvertop rail, Blacktop rail, Galaxy 2.3 rail & Right: volvo b230 turbo rail (which is way too wide, so not any use in this project)

On fast try it doesnt seem to be impossible task to fit the blacktop fuel rail on silvertop inlet manifold, only new mounts need to be made, but the rail is aluminium, so its abit more costly to make as i dont have a tig to weld it myself.
    Another option is to use the silvertop rail and take injectors (958F-BB) from that galaxy 2.3 fuel rail.
    Only info i found that they should be 276cc/min ? vs. original 1.8 (0-280-155-503)191.3cc/min, which i think be a bit too much for stock ecu/engine/fuel used (but maybe perfect if later upgraded to megasquirt+ethanol)
    Blacktop 2.0 injectors (0-280-155-820) are 208.6cc/min

Trying more cross fitting these parts and lets see what i come up with.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Works For This Useful Post:

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

I'm using std B/top injectors with Jenvey throttle bodies and a 2.0L B/top which should be ok for about 170hp and maybe a bit more with an additional 0.5 bar fuel pressure! If you are using a std. ecu you are pretty much tied to std injectors as you can't remap to suit the extra flow. On E85 fuel the injectors need to flow 300-350cc at a guess as it gives less power litre for litre compared to petrol!

42. The Following User Says Thank You to katana For This Useful Post:

Bodger

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Sorry, if im updating too frequently.

Well anyways, i sorted the fuel rail issue by filing down the inlet manifold, where idle air valve bolts for about 5-8mm to get the required clearance for fuel rail, as it was hitting it and injectors were pointing down.
    Then i took them mounts off the rail and stick!welded at work one mount back at the middle of the rail.
    Everything fits now nicely, didnt require any special parts or tools and didnt cost anything, so im happy with that. (yeah i know the weld looks horrible, but it holds)
    Can also swap both rails now if theres need.

One more layer of paint and its ready to be bolted on.

Last edited by Works; 06-02-2020 at 11:39.

Spanner Monkey Turbosport Subscriber

Thanks

Keep the updates coming and doing well

45. The Following User Says Thank You to donnie For This Useful Post:

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

47. The Following User Says Thank You to alladdin For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread