User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2.1 Pinto pricing

Thanks

2.1 Pinto pricing

Hi guys,

Need a bit of advice. I have a 2.1 Pinto that I have owned for the best part of 20+ years, was done the old skool way with 2.8 pistons, injection rods, tuftrided crank, hp pump, stage 3 burton head, RL31 cam, Aldon distributor, lightened flywheel etc that a friend wants to buy off me. I have no idea where to price it. I want to help him out a little bit as its a very good friend, but also the block is the original one that his RS2000 left the factory with (numbers matching), so he stands to gain greatly.

It has done about 2000 miles since it was built (20+ years ago).

Any advice?

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

Re: 2.1 Pinto pricing

i keep seeing people ask £500 plus for unknown condition bog standard engines, an over the top price i know, but on the other hand to build your engine today would probably set you back something like £3k so possibly as much as £4k with vat etc, its used and old so in reality you could see half that on the open market. so its value has to lie somewhere in between.

but only you know what its worth to you, if i offered you 1K for it would you take it? what if i offered £1500? it all depends on how much of a mate his is and how much you want to help him out

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Begs the question why is your engine matching numbers to his car? He obviously wasn't precious about it if he sold it. As G said what's it worth to you to replace and maybe discount him a few quid for 'mates rates'.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to katana For This Useful Post:

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

You don't mention anything about carbs with the engine. Depending on the condition of the engine and if it's been stood for any length of time then it probably needs a rebuild.

Has Graham mentioned a Grand to fifteen hundred would be a good figure to work on but if you owe him lots of favours then maybe a good bit less. It's a very difficult thing to advice, it's really your decision.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Forest_rallying For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katana View Post
    Begs the question why is your engine matching numbers to his car? He obviously wasn't precious about it if he sold it. As G said what's it worth to you to replace and maybe discount him a few quid for 'mates rates'.
    Long torrid story of the car being stolen 25 years ago, recovered, he bought the car, I bought the engine (it had been removed).

Thanks

Thanks guys, thats around where I was thinking. Its difficult to price things these days, as the parts you want to buy with the money are also equally as expensive these days!

I'll see what he says, and if he doesnt want it then I'll keep it and rebuild it for another project.

Cheers

Andy

+ Reply to Thread